3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help on draw length and backing  (Read 244 times)

Offline Ike 403

• Trad Bowhunter
Help on draw length and backing
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Hey folks, I have a couple of newbie questions...

My new bow has a linnen backing. Would applying a snakeskin backing over the linnen be a no-no? I want the skin for a strictly aesthetic purpose.

Question #2...How do I lengthen the draw? is it as simple as adjusting the string length or do I need to re-tiller? Currently, the bow has an approx. 28" draw. I would prefer 31-32".

Thanks for your help.
Ike
The great bow twanged. The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow
by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft,
and feather, so fierce was its flight.~J.R.R. Tolkien-The Hobbit

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Help on draw length and backing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Snakeskin won't hurt or help the bow's strength.  It is just cosmetic.  You don't really lengthen the draw.  28 inches is the standard at which most draw weights are measured/posted.  Depending on the bow's draw weight at 28 inches and its length, it will gain about 2-3# per inch for each inch drawn past 28 inches.  If you have a linen backed bow, it's likely an older wooden unlaminated bow made in the 40s or 50s.  IMO, such a bow, unless it is at least 68 inches long shouldn't be drawn beyond 30 inches.  In short, don't bother putting snakeskins on it because at 31-32 inch draw, it will break, maybe not right away, but it will break.

Offline Ike 403

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Orion. I wont waste my time with the reptile hide then. My bow is a new one, non-laminate, just a big ol' hunk of hickory (I think). It is 68" long w/ a 28" draw (45#). It just seems like the draw is too short. Maybe it's my arms that are too short!

Anyways, thanks again, Orion.
The great bow twanged. The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow
by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft,
and feather, so fierce was its flight.~J.R.R. Tolkien-The Hobbit

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
You could possibly retiller your bow to go to 30" or so. The linen backing is probably for insurence; to help keep it together. I would retiller it first and shoot it a while before adding a snake skin backing to be sure it will hold together at that draw length. At 68" you do have enough bow to make a 30" draw if the tiller allows it. With your bow beeing 45#@28" the weight will increase by about 3# per inch or so so you aren't talking about too much of a weight gain and by retillering your bow you will decrease that weight a bit.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©