3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Western elk hunt next year and wanting to take Dad for his retirement  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I am wanting to take my Dad on a western hunt for elk next archery season.  He is not a hunter but would love to be there backpacking through the backcountry and being part of the experience.  This is a retirement gift for him.  He will be 60 next year and is more than capable in the backcountry and humping a pack over the mountains.  I have been fortunate to live all over for my career but want him to experience the western vastness in a different way than he is used to which is backpacking National Parks. 

I am a meat hunter so cow vs bull doesn't matter to me.  I am looking for advice on states that are friendly to non-resident hunters both financially and access wise.  I have hunted Nevada and California when I lived out west but am thinking of Idaho, Colorado, or even north New Mexico for this hunt.  I honestly don't expect to get anything but want the experience to be unforgettable for him.  An elk is a bonus.  Any recommendations for states that won't bankrupt me, offer good OTC options and might be worth driving to from Indiana?

Much appreciated!!

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Western elk hunt next year and wanting to take Dad for his retirement
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:14:19 PM »
I am a NM resident and can shed a little light on NM's system.  There are no OTC permits for elk.  NM gives landowners about 50% of all elk permits, and they can sell or use them as they wish.  Expect the landowner's cow permits to run between $500 and $1000, and bull permits to start at around $5000 for good areas (just a guess).  Something to watch out for on landowner permits is whether they are for the property only or are unit wide.  For non-residents on the draw, things are bleak.  Something like 86% of the remaining tags (after landowners are rewarded) are reserved for residents.  Then 10% of what is left is allocated for hunters that will use guides.  That leaves 6% for the average joe non-resident hunter.  There are no preference points, so a first time applicant has the same chance as that guy who put in for years.  I suggest one option is to put in for NM, and then go to Colorado OTC if that doesn't work out.  I don't know enough about WY or ID to offer an opinion on them. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:12:07 AM »
That's some good insight.  I appreciate it!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
Idaho has close to 13,000 NR elk tags and they are looking at reducing that number.  Cost 416$ for the tag  + 150$ for your hunting license .
 NR tags sold out the last 3 yrs. Units with quotas sell out faster then general hunt areas.
 Tags go on sale 1st come basis starting Dec 1st for the following season.
 Hope this helps.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
As a side note. This is my 3rd yr elk hunting idaho panhandle. I have yet to see an elk while hunting.
 See plenty of sign just no elk.
 Several of my friends have noted it takes longer each yr to get their elk.  Some not until late firearms season.   Just saying.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Tradarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
The Colorado CPW has a good website.

This link will take you to the maps page.
About half way down the page is a link to a PDF map of OTC antlered and either sex units.

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/Maps.aspx

Essentially, decide the area or type of terrain you want to be in and pick a unit that fills those boxes.

This years prices were $496 for cow and $661 for bull or either sex (unit dependent) + ~$20 for fees.

Wyoming (also has a good website)will take a couple points to get a general tag. Unless you are lucky in the random draw or pay extra for the special draw.

Tags this year were $692. Elk points cost $52 this year.

Message me if you have any specific question.

~Brian

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks, Brian!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
I can't help with information like that above, I just want to let you know that as an older father, I appreciate your desire to give your dad this great experience.  It will be one you will both always cherish.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
I can't help with information like that above, I just want to let you know that as an older father, I appreciate your desire to give your dad this great experience.  It will be one you will both always cherish.
I appreciate the kind words.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
you need to think about what kind of country u and dad want to see and hunt in...Idaho varies widely...some zones offer either sex during archery and others dont...some have atv restrictions that apply to hunters but not the general public...those are just a few things to think about.

PLEASE do ur home work !!!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
👍 I'll second what durp says.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »
you need to think about what kind of country u and dad want to see and hunt in...Idaho varies widely...some zones offer either sex during archery and others dont...some have atv restrictions that apply to hunters but not the general public...those are just a few things to think about.

PLEASE do ur home work !!!
Yeah we need to avoid anywhere that has ATVs and mountains are good. I have been and am continuing to research.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
One thing to consider; while you are young and your dad is healthy, depending on where you hunt, the altitude of many elk hunts can be critical.
Being flatlanders (like me), altitude can really kick your can if you aren't prepared for it.  Don Thomas did an article in in TBM a few months back (Traditional Bowhunter Magazine, Feb/Mar2019) that was a real eye-opener for me...I never even considered it.
Kudos for thinking of your Dad and hope your hunt goes well with tons of memories!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
One thing to consider; while you are young and your dad is healthy, depending on where you hunt, the altitude of many elk hunts can be critical.
Being flatlanders (like me), altitude can really kick your can if you aren't prepared for it.  Don Thomas did an article in in TBM a few months back (Traditional Bowhunter Magazine, Feb/Mar2019) that was a real eye-opener for me...I never even considered it.
Kudos for thinking of your Dad and hope your hunt goes well with tons of memories!
You aren’t kidding. I was running races in college and went to field school in Cardwell, MT afterward. The altitude hitting peaks there nearly brought me to my knees despite being flatland fit until I got used to it!

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:26 PM »
You aren’t kidding. I was running races in college and went to field school in Cardwell, MT afterward. The altitude hitting peaks there nearly brought me to my knees despite being flatland fit until I got used to it!

OK, just so you're aware of it. :thumbsup:
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©