3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first bow...getting set up to practice  (Read 223 times)

Offline Gnat

• Trad Bowhunter
My first bow...getting set up to practice
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Hi folks,

After patiently searching, asking questions, and reading a lot, I just bought my first longbow. It's a "Griffin" made by J McCullough, 60'', 48# at 28'', tillered for split-finger.

I've tried out a few bows and found this draw weight to be about right, although I may opt for a cheaper starter bow if it's too much, and then work my way back up. I can hardly wait for it to arrive...

What I'd like to know is what you'd recommend getting for starting out, which will be basically practicing in my yard for a while. I don't have any equipment, and the bow will be here in a few days. So:

What's a good cheap target to shoot at?

What kind of arrows would you recommend for target practice and general use with this bow?
I know very little about arrows at this point.

Are there any other accessories that I'm really going to need, other than maybe an armguard? How important is a glove for practicing?

Any general tips about technique, safety, etc. are also appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts.
All truly great thoughts are  conceived while walking.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first bow...getting set up to practice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
You'll certainly want a glove or tab or you'll soon find your fingers too sore to shoot.

About the cheapest and easiest to remove arrows from is a bag target. They usually have 4 or 5 small spot target faces painted on. They last many years. You can search on the tradgang for ideas about making your own.

Arrows. Gold tip 35/55 would be right if you want to go with carbons. Carbons might be a good idea because they are more durable when the target is missed.
Good luck,
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Like macbow said,
I like the big shot glove. You can find most needed things for starting out at three rivers web sight. The bag is a great idea, you will want to fractice up close at first to build your form to perfection.   :campfire:    :archer:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Go to the nearest book store and pick up a copy of Traditional Bowhunters Handbook by T.J Conrads, or buy a copy of Traditional Bowhunter magazine and get the mailing address to purchase a copy of this book.  Will save you about a hundred posts on this site.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©