3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell wool, can't decide  (Read 3753 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell wool, can't decide
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
I've been looking at Asbell wool to replace my old hunting coat. I've decided on Evening Stand Brown, but can't decide on Anarak, Pathfinder, or Jacket. Leaning towards first two.
What I can't find is temperature ranges/weight. I hunt in temps down to maybe 12*, any colder, especially with wind, I stay home. Will a blanket weight item, with under armour, and a heavy sweater or two, keep me warm in below freezing and wind? I've never owned wool, but have wanted to for years.
Also, I am 6'6", 230. Would that be xl or XXL?
Any advice, experiences, recommendations appreciated.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Pmringer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell wool, can't decide
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
I’m 6’3” and 185 and the large is a little big in the body but I have long arms so they are just long enough. I went with Evening stand as well and it is great. I chose the Anorak for the extra body length and the hand warmer pocket. Glad I did. I wear it with merino base, wool Bemidji flannel, wool vest and I am good to single digits.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:52:59 PM »
Call her for sizing, they are long with long sleeves

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
I just went on their web site and man their prices have gone up! Understandably though. Real good stuff. I am 6'2" about 210 with long arms and I always get the XL from Teresa. For a normal long sleeve button up shirt from the store, I wear a Large Long. I have every single style of their garments, even the pullovers they don't sell, and in my personal opinion, I'd go with the jacket if you are going to layer underneath. One bone I have with the anorak is that the high pocket interferes with my bow string when I'm at full draw. The Pathfinder is pretty awesome. Out of those two, I'd go Pathfinder however if you plan on putting on a few layers, it's going to be a lot easier if you have the jacket with the zipper. My evening stand Brown is the pull over and it is pretty thick stuff. I usually put a couple of medium layers underneath if it's in the 20s and it's a little difficult to put on pulling it down over the head with all the layers on underneath.
I usually draw the line at hunting when it's below 22 degrees. Personally I don't like to feel like a giant marshmallow trying to stay warm while sitting still for hours on end with multiple layers of clothes. If you're going to hunt down to 12° you're probably going to need something to stop the wind. As warm as those wool garments are, they do not stop air from moving through them. if you could find some silent wind blocking material to layer next to the skin that would be ideal.
And consider their Mackinaw pullover for cold temps.

That profile picture there is me in an extra large evening stand Brown pullover.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:15:46 PM by tzolk »
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 10:30:59 PM »
This is an XL Pathfinder in Montana magic. 6'2" 210lbs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/S8Cq7xMNvDaGqF3e9
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 11:17:10 PM »
If you are going to layer go with the 2xl. I wore my blanket weight pathfinder today in 35 degree temp with 15 to 20 mph wind and was very comfortalbe.  I layered with a UA vest. Teresa also sells a zippered windbreaker vest which should work well for you in temps below freezing. Check it out.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 06:31:21 AM »
I've been looking at Asbell wool to replace my old hunting coat. I've decided on Evening Stand Brown, but can't decide on Anarak, Pathfinder, or Jacket. Leaning towards first two.
What I can't find is temperature ranges/weight. I hunt in temps down to maybe 12*, any colder, especially with wind, I stay home. Will a blanket weight item, with under armour, and a heavy sweater or two, keep me warm in below freezing and wind? I've never owned wool, but have wanted to for years.
Also, I am 6'6", 230. Would that be xl or XXL?
Any advice, experiences, recommendations appreciated.

Anorak or Pathfinder style, XXL. Call Teresa and get the heaviest weight she has in stock.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »
Pathfinder in my opinion. Get blanket ot extra heavy weight.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
I'm 6'4",  220,  I wear the xxl.  Fits great! 
I would call her to get your correct size fit.
Mine is the zip up jacket.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the Pathfinder..... maybe.  :banghead:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 05:13:01 PM »
This is my younger brother in IN, he is about 5'9" and 240#.  This is Woodland Magic in XL and he says it is not a problem to layer underneath, it's in the teens to 40* there now.  He does say a wind stopper layer is needed.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
I prefer the zip all the way jacket version and the evening stand brown. Best camo pattern I have.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
I just got some belated birthday money and its going to get me some asbell wool! I'm going with a pathfinder in timberghost, and will be calling to make sure I GE the correct sizing. I noticed the prices have jumped but I think its well worth it, and I'd rather get it now before the prices increase again! I can't wait to use mine for the late season!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
I use the hooded solid covering (anorak) a lot in Mn, ND, and occasionally  Canada.  If I am not using my heater body suit, I have long underwear, heavy wool bibs, another shirt, then a down sweater under my Asbell anorak. It works well. Mine is an XL . See avitar, no bibs on but you get the idea.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »
Brother from IN sent me the Pathfinder Woodland Magic - XL, shown above cause it was not warm enough for him.  He prefers the blanket weight.  It most certainly is designed for layering and is actually a bit big for me.  Normally I wear XL.  I had a UA long sleeve shirt, a military sleep shirt, and a badlands vest on under it and there was room.  I'll have to tuck the shooting arm sleeve a bit, and perhaps put a stitch to hold it.  As well as, come up with an arm guard to eliminate string interference.  Now hoping for cold weather in Texas to give it a try.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
I bought an evening stand brown path finder this fall it didn't come in the blanket weight and she said there was no more evening stand brown for now . Wools not real warm below 35 I use my insulated coats much warmer and not all that bulk from layering .  You may need a 3x to get the sleeves long enough mine are a little short im 6'3" .

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Sleeves are past finger tips so that is not a problem, just might tuck the shooting arm in to shorten sleeve a tad.  I'm 5'10" and 205.  Plus, I have to wear an orange vest to hunt government land, even archery only!!!  This probably will help to cinch it down. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:32:30 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
I sent Teresa an email about two weeks ago, no response yet. I understand it sometimes takes a while. I'm in no rush, I'm sure they are busy.
Thanks for the replies.

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
Has anyone had any trouble with the Asbell zippers?  I was looking at a pathfinder and see that they are 1/2 zip now.  I usually try to avoid zippers when I can.  It just seems like the zipper usually fails before the jacket.  These look to be plastic or nylon and that concerns me too...but maybe I'm wrong...?

I used their contact page to ask if I could get one without a zipper, but no one ever replied.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©