3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello again guys... Been gone a loooong time  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello again guys... Been gone a loooong time
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
Just stopping in to say howdy all.  For various reasons I had kinda gotten away from trad shooting.  Mostly two things though.  My kids were getting old enough to take along hunting but too small to pull a hunting weight bow.  They could pull a trigger though so we kinda switched to rifle hunting for several years.  They were still shooting bows but not for hunting.  Aling the way, I managed to tear the rotator cuffs in both my shoulders about 5 years apart.  I still shot now and then but every time I released it felt like someone was sticking a hot knife in my left shoulder.  Needless to say, it was difficult to shoot very long.  Throw in my massive target panic I had even when my shoulders were good and let's just say that as much as I loved trad, it became much less a part of my life.  My oldest son is 18 now and hunting with a 1957 Bear Kodiak Special. 

Recently, I shot with him and didn't even realize until later that my shoulder hadn't hurt when I shot.  I went out and shot again, same thing!  I'm shooting pain free!  Not only that, but I'm probably shooting better than ever before in my life.  Granted, I was never what you'd call a great shot (or even decently good) but I was certainly "enthusiastic".  Now, I'm suddenly more relaxed and able to just let the bow and arrow do their thing.  I used to get so tensed up at the shot I'd sometimes "spaz" and jerk an arrow off by 2-3 feet on the shot.  I simply could not hold on target.

Anyway, it feels great to be shooting again.  I kinda need to get back in the loop though on where to get supplies and such.  I just went to the 3 Rivers page and was pretty disappointed.  It's like they want me to fill out a customer information survey before I can even look at their catalog then when I did I couldn't believe how much it had changed.  I couldn't even find regular Zwickey or Magnus 2 blade heads.  Couldn't find the Mercury nocks or the Bohning Classics. I finally just have up.

In the past I had used both Gray Ghost and another company I can't think of at the moment for supplies like feathers, tabs, points etc.  Not sure if they are even still in business.  I was getting shafts from Silent Pond and maybe Rose City but I think it was another company, not Rose City.  I'd know the if I heard it.  I seem to recall the business being sold back years ago when I was testing getting out of things? Whatever the big company was that sold the really good tapered cedar shafts.  Anybody have an idea who I mean?  I'm currently in need of about 2 or 3 dozen tapered cedar shafts, some feathers, broadheads and maybe a cordovan tab or two.  I like the simple Neet cordovan or the Bateman with the spacer and elastic finger strap.

I've also got a side quiver I'm trying to remember the name of that I got from Dean Torges page years ago I'd like to find another like it for my son.  He also needs a bow quiver like the Selway.  Last but not least I've decided to invest in a spine tester or build one.  What's the current favorite?  Do they still make the Adams?

Anyway, might get back to being a regular around here again.  Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:27:05 PM by Dave Bulla »
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello again guys... Been gone a loooong time
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »
Welcome back!! It is great to see an old stalwart return. I hope your resurrection is as pleasant as your initial foray. I shall look forward to seeing your future posts.
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
Welcome back. When you go to the 3Rivers site, up in the left hand corner it says menu. Press it and a drop down menu appears, press the plus sign to the right of the arrows and another drop down menu appears. From there you can either press broadheads to see all of they have, or press the plus sign and get a drop down menu of each type (2 blade, 3 blade, screw-in, etc).
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
Hi Dave!  I remember you from long ago.  I certainly understand your absence.  Although, I do still shoot my longbows from time to time, I don't get here much, just do a drive by once in a while reading the threads that catch my eye.  At one time it seems that I recognized all the many regulars that posted here, hunted with some and traded and shot with many, now I am lucky to recognize just a few names.  I don't have a lot of answers to your questions, just wanted to say hi and good luck with your journey back into trad archery.  I will say, I had great luck building a spine tester using a dial indicator and following the plans by Jim Hill.  I don't know if those plans are still floating around, but if so they were very easy to follow and made a very accurate spine tester.   Take care!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
Hey Dave. Good to see you back. Have missed you at MoJam.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
Welcome back, glad that you found the groove.  There are many folks here to help you along your return journey.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
Hey Dave.
Welcome back. Yes life is a journey isn’t it. There are a lot of suppliers gone now that I’m sure you knew. If you’re looking for good shafts try Wapiti archery. They make some great tapered shafts and I think that’s who you were thinking of.
Also the Footed Shaft is a good place for supplies also.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Bisch

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 05:37:11 PM »
Welcome back to the Gang Dave!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome back and the product referrals.  The Footed Shaft is a name I remember but not the place I'm thinking of.  Wapiti archery I thought was a bow company. Maybe they've expanded?

It's really bugging me I can't remember the name of the shaft supplier.  I want to say it was a husband and wife team and they had some special old vintage machine that made the tapered shafts.  Dang they were nice people and fantastic product.  Thinking the were from Oregon.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
Welcome back Dave!  Check out Big Jim as well for supplies www.bigjimsbowcompany.com.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
Welcome back Dave.
 Definitely Wapiti for cedar shafts; excellent quality, small family business, good folks. I think the side quiver you're asking about is the "Side Stalker", I've seen them on The Bowyer's Edge (Dean Torges) site. Larry at Lost Nation Archery had them; not sure if he still does but he'd know if they're around. Big Jim's also has a nice side quiver you could look at if you don't find that original Side Stalker.
Adams spine tester is still available, a quick look tells me Raptor Archery has them, I think 3Rivers does too. Ace Archery makes a nice simple one thats well liked, wall mount design but easy enough to make a base if you wanted one, and price is similar to the Adams.
Might have been Rogue River you're thinking of that was making those cedar shafts?

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »
Welcome back, Dave! I'm probably new since you hung out here. Glad you are back in the saddle and shooting again! :archer2:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 03:37:12 AM »
Bingo!!!!
Rogue River is the one I was thinking of.  They gone now?
Dave

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
If I recall, Rogue River turned over to Wapiti when they got out of the business.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
Welcome back Dave.  Glad to see you posting again.  Always enjoyed your recipes and posts with yer kids.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:48 AM »
As far as quivers I think ron leclair sells something similar.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
Welcome home...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 09:00:17 AM »
Dave, Glad you are back! You have been missed. We have wondered where you had gone to here in the area. Always liked you cast Iron posts too.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
Ha!  I forgot about the old cast iron posts.  Still into it and still doing the stove top seasoning method.
Dave

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
Welcome back to the campfire!
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©