3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello again guys... Been gone a loooong time  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Hello again guys... Been gone a loooong time
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 10:07:35 AM »
Come on and enjoy the warmth!
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
Hi Dave and Welcome back.  :thumbsup:
Long time no see...  :saywhat:

Offline gifford, MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Well, howdy Dave, glad to see you're here for a return engagement. Some things have changed alright. However, MoJAM is still rocking and rolling along. Mid July in Missouri, hasn't changed. Check out 3 Trails, they have a couple of spring shoots and will be a good warm up for MoJAM.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 05:11:42 AM »
Hey Dan, how you been?  We almost went to mojam this year but something came up.  The kids wanted to go for sure.  My daughter that used to wear the pocohantas outfit when she was about 6 years old and everybody would talk about her shooting form is 24 now and has a little boy of her own.  Maybe next summer we can head out there and catch up.  Do Mickey Lotz, Rusty Crane, Mike Westvang or any of the old crowd still show up?  I'm trying to think of more names... Oh!  Mudd with his morning Yodel... ummm Sal, trying to rememver the name of the guy who used to live in MO then moved to Montana.  Something Campbell maybe?  Was into flint knapping and knife making... Doug I think.  Gosh it 's been a while and I was never good with names to begin with.  For that matter, any of those guys still come here?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline gifford, MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »
Some folks have moved on, others passed on, new folks coming on. Now, Mickey and Diane showed up a couple of years ago, Wingnut and his son are making bows full time, haven't been to MoJAM in a while, neither has Rusty. Couple old timers showed up last year, John Scifres and Darren Shue (hackbow) and they seemed to think they would be back again. Sal shows up now and again. Other regulars are Bob Barnes, Larry Nortrup and Rob Reed and a cast of dozens more. The Marshall Bow Hunters still do an outstanding job of running a great gathering.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
Some folks have moved on, others passed on, new folks coming on. Now, Mickey and Diane showed up a couple of years ago, Wingnut and his son are making bows full time, haven't been to MoJAM in a while, neither has Rusty. Couple old timers showed up last year, John Scifres and Darren Shue (hackbow) and they seemed to think they would be back again. Sal shows up now and again. Other regulars are Bob Barnes, Larry Nortrup and Rob Reed and a cast of dozens more. The Marshall Bow Hunters still do an outstanding job of running a great gathering.

Also Lennie and Shanin and me and Sue up on the hill...  :)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Just stopping in to say howdy all.  For various reasons I had kinda gotten away from trad shooting.  Mostly two things though.  My kids were getting old enough to take along hunting but too small to pull a hunting weight bow.  They could pull a trigger though so we kinda switched to rifle hunting for several years.  They were still shooting bows but not for hunting.  Aling the way, I managed to tear the rotator cuffs in both my shoulders about 5 years apart.  I still shot now and then but every time I released it felt like someone was sticking a hot knife in my left shoulder.  Needless to say, it was difficult to shoot very long.  Throw in my massive target panic I had even when my shoulders were good and let's just say that as much as I loved trad, it became much less a part of my life.  My oldest son is 18 now and hunting with a 1957 Bear Kodiak Special. 

Recently, I shot with him and didn't even realize until later that my shoulder hadn't hurt when I shot.  I went out and shot again, same thing!  I'm shooting pain free!  Not only that, but I'm probably shooting better than ever before in my life.  Granted, I was never what you'd call a great shot (or even decently good) but I was certainly "enthusiastic".  Now, I'm suddenly more relaxed and able to just let the bow and arrow do their thing.  I used to get so tensed up at the shot I'd sometimes "spaz" and jerk an arrow off by 2-3 feet on the shot.  I simply could not hold on target.

Anyway, it feels great to be shooting again.  I kinda need to get back in the loop though on where to get supplies and such.  I just went to the 3 Rivers page and was pretty disappointed.  It's like they want me to fill out a customer information survey before I can even look at their catalog then when I did I couldn't believe how much it had changed.  I couldn't even find regular Zwickey or Magnus 2 blade heads.  Couldn't find the Mercury nocks or the Bohning Classics. I finally just have up.

In the past I had used both Gray Ghost and another company I can't think of at the moment for supplies like feathers, tabs, points etc.  Not sure if they are even still in business.  I was getting shafts from Silent Pond and maybe Rose City but I think it was another company, not Rose City.  I'd know the if I heard it.  I seem to recall the business being sold back years ago when I was testing getting out of things? Whatever the big company was that sold the really good tapered cedar shafts.  Anybody have an idea who I mean?  I'm currently in need of about 2 or 3 dozen tapered cedar shafts, some feathers, broadheads and maybe a cordovan tab or two.  I like the simple Neet cordovan or the Bateman with the spacer and elastic finger strap.

I've also got a side quiver I'm trying to remember the name of that I got from Dean Torges page years ago I'd like to find another like it for my son.  He also needs a bow quiver like the Selway.  Last but not least I've decided to invest in a spine tester or build one.  What's the current favorite?  Do they still make the Adams?

Anyway, might get back to being a regular around here again.  Looking forward to it.

Welcome back. I like eagles flight archery for bow quivers affordable and awesome. Tapered cedar would be referring to the footed shaft??  I also use kustom king a lot to get everyday supplies. I get my arrows prespined and dont worry about a spine tester.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
I made a home made spine tester, total cost was less than a buck. If you have shafts that you already know the spine of, it's pretty easy to calibrate and cross check.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©