3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red/Green Colorblind...did glasses help?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Red/Green Colorblind...did glasses help?
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
Does anyone here have experience with the glasses to aid with color blindness issues for use in blood trailing?  Did they help and their approximate cost?  Thinking of investing in a pair if worthwhile as I don't always have someone to trail for me and I cannot see blood well with my naked eye.  Thanks for any feedback...Couch

Offline Markp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red/Green Colorblind...did glasses help?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
My main hunting partner is colorblind.  He bought the glasses, about $350.  He says several things: he gets why girls like pink, he knows why regular color vision hunters get so into camo, and that he hates driving with them as it is distracting to see all the colors.

He sees things I don't, and vice versa. I will ask him bout the blood.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:33:30 PM by Markp »

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
From research I did several years ago, they don't make you have good color vision.  Maybe halfway between what you have now and good color vision.  They also reduce the light entering your eye, sort of like sunglasses, except accentuated in certain parts of the color spectrum, so may not be great for low light tracking.  Maybe they have improved over time.

If I were to look into this again, the first thing I would look at are blood tracking flashlights.  These are supposed to make blood look black, and possibly glowing.  If making blood look black helps people with normal color vision find it better, then it surely would help me even more, as we all see black the same.

The only advantage I can think of being color blind is that my optometrist said I see the world about the same as a deer sees it.  So far that hasn't done me much good, but have to look on the bright side, I guess.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
You might want to carry a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide. When it comes in contact with blood it bubbles up.
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Offline Markp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
Mcdave, could you start another thread about what you see when hunting, color wise?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Mcdave, could you start another thread about what you see when hunting, color wise?

Probably not worth another thread, as I can’t really compare what I see with what you see, or vice versa. I notice it when someone points out a red flower, which I wouldn’t have noticed myself, but when it is pointed out, I can see the shape of the flower but the color seems the same as the leaves. I probably have a heightened awareness of blue and yellow, simply because I can distinguish those colors, and not others. My dad told me that in WWII they used color blind people to analyze aerial photos, because they weren’t confused by the colors of the camouflage. (Why didn’t they just take black and white photos?  I dunno)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
My vision is pretty much the same description as what McDave experiences I was just hoping that someone here might have had a game changer experience when they tried the glasses out, guess I'll bite the bullet and see if I can find some that don't cost too much and report back here.  Thanks for the feedback...Couch

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
Mine is similar to McDaves as well. Orange and Red don’t jump out at me. When I was in the Army, we had a camouflage class. They told all the color blind guys to go thru last as a group. We seen everything that the reg vision guys missed. When blood tracking, I use peroxide, unless there is snow.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
When you try the glasses, you will probably perceive that you are experiencing more colors.  Where the rubber meets the road, however, is whether you can identify more hidden numbers in the color dot charts.  My experience several years ago was that my actual color vision had not really increased, at least not enough to recognize the dot numbers any better than before.  If you can recognize more numbers, I would like to know about it and maybe I’ll give it another try.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »
Blood trailing deer was where I realized that my son was color blind.  We were following a trail that looked like it had been spray painted.  He couldn't distinguish the red blood from the brown leaves.  I finally told him to look for something wet and he pointed out the blood.  He was about four or five at the time.  We bought him a pair of the glasses when he was in his late teens and he initially liked them for the novelty as much as anything else.  He has since lost track of them and has not expressed any desire to have another pair.  Maybe they have improved within the last 4 or 5 years.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »
My son (30) has red/green deficiency...not sure how much though. We first noticed it when he was a kid, arguing with a friend that the garbage can (hunter green) was the same color as the cedar siding on the house (deep brown). We had him tested and they confirmed. He's had problems following blood trails as well. This year I broke down and bought a blood light. If he nails a deer, I'll be there to help him track and we'll see if the blood light makes a difference for him.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©