3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on Takedown Bows Please  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on Takedown Bows Please
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
So, I currently have a longbow. I like it a lot. However it is a one piece and I think I want a 3 piece/takedown as I will start to travel a little bit with it and that will make it SOOOOO much easier. I like to shoot off the shelf and I really enjoy smooth draws and quiet shots.

If I go ILF, I'm thinking something in the 15" to 17" range is where I'd like to stay. I'm a fan of shorter bows (I hunt, no real target shooting) and don't want to exceed a 60" bow (5'8 w/ 28.5" dl). I really like my current 58" bow but will go up a bit if necessary. Additionally, I'm not a wealthy guy. I make room for my hobbies and obsessions but don't have tons of money to throw around. I'd love to find a nice little shooter for a few hundred dollars if at all possible. I'm also happy to buy separately, over time if necessary, to get the most "right" thing for me that I can.
Any recommendations based on the above information?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Bisch

Re: Advice on Takedown Bows Please
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
My suggestion would be to look at Sarrels Archery, or Primal Tech bows. I own both, and both are super sweet!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
My suggestion would be to look at Sarrels Archery, or Primal Tech bows. I own both, and both are super sweet!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do either have a website?  I don’t have FB.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:54:17 AM »
I would highly recommend a Primal Tech longbow, Randy makes a 2 & 3 and even a 4 piece takedown. He goes by Crittergetter on this site, I'm sure you could send him a PM and start up a conversation. I have one of his 3 piece takedowns and wouldn't own anything else!!

Rodney

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
Check the classifieds on this site. You can buy a very high quality bow that fits your needs for an excellent price. Of course it helps to know what you are looking for. If possible attend some shoots where you can meet up with other traditional archers or vendors who will let you shoot their bows. I have had great success buying used and saved tons of money. Good luck and shoot straight.

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Sarrels and Primal Tech are both on fb. I don’t do fb either, but if you call them, I bet they could tell you the info about their bows, and send you pics too.

Bisch

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
Many, many great bows out there, Classifieds would be a good start.  I don't have any TD, other than used recurves I recently traded for.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:41:33 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
There are lots of great bows out there that ought to work for you. You could probably find a used one for a pretty decent price. I've never used the classifieds on here, but I'm sure there will be something on here that could work for you. Could also try the classifieds on Archery(Talk) or Leather(wall). Plus, if you don't like what you get, you aren't out the full price of the bow and you can try and sell or trade for a different one until you find one that works for you.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
I'm a guy on a budget also. I get that.  Look at RMS gear. You could save a lot of money there. They have new and used bows.  They have all types and I have been to their store in Colorado.  To say its amazing is an understatement.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »
Anyone in their right mind will be in shock at what I'm about to say, but if you really like the bow you have, cut it into two halves and install a brass sleeve: My main bow is a two-piece take down like this and I love it! Once it's together, you cannot tell it isn't a one-piece.  It's amazing! And I will shoot the nock off the arrow of anyone who tells me my bow isn't as accurate as a one-piece. I love two piece takedowns!

I am not a fan of 3 piece takedowns though.

Just my opinion, but a bow should not have screws. Too mechanical for me.  :dunno: There definitely is a lot of merit, however, to the idea of being able to progressively increase your bow's poundage to accommodate your strength gains and development as an archer. That's where a three-piece shines. But still, I cannot stomach a bow with screws.   :dunno:

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
By the way, don't actually cut the bow in half yourself, unless you are more handy than the average guy. Pay someone to do it for you.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »
Anyone in their right mind will be in shock at what I'm about to say, but if you really like the bow you have, cut it into two halves and install a brass sleeve: My main bow is a two-piece take down like this and I love it! Once it's together, you cannot tell it isn't a one-piece.  It's amazing! And I will shoot the nock off the arrow of anyone who tells me my bow isn't as accurate as a one-piece. I love two piece takedowns!

Just my opinion, but a bow should not have screws. Too mechanical for me.  :dunno: There definitely is a lot of merit, however, to the idea of being able to progressively increase your bow's poundage to accommodate your strength gains and development as an archer. That's where a three-piece shines. But still, I cannot stomach a bow with screws.   :dunno:

I would add that I used to shoot a 1 piece and then went a 3 peice binge. Never liked ilf personally years later I am back to 1 piece bows in shorter lengths. I just love 1 piece bows although I've never shot a 2 piece. I am shooting a 52 inch hybrid and it shoots as well if not better than my 3 piece bows in longer lengths and is a lot lighter. Bear paw also makes a stellar bow 3 piece for under 500 bucks with a life time warranty.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »
Don't think I could have my Big River 50's style recurve cut.  It can't be replaced.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »
I prefer one piece but I've got a three piece bow and have no problem with it at all. It shoots great, it's easy to take apart and put together (no tools required), and it's extremely convenient for storing at while at school!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
Bully, over the years I have owned many, many customs--one piece, 2 piece, and three piece.  Last winter I decided to give Jim Casto's target panic program a try and needed to get a lighter draw weight to begin.  Being semi-retired and not wanting to spend a wad on another bow, I ordered a Galaxy Ember three piece longbow from Lancaster Archery.  Was I ever surprised!  That little 60" bow has the best feeling grip of any bow I have owned and shoots just great.  And it cost just a few cents under $200.  I now have two risers and three sets of limbs.  It's the bow I now shoot most often.  The great thing about it is that if you don't often need a TD, you don't have a lot of money tied up in it.  That's the same bow as the Black Hunter sold by Twigg Archery and comes with either longbow or recurve limbs which are interchangeable.  Either dealer will treat you right and stand behind the bow.  Just something to consider. :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 04:25:04 PM »
If your not in a hurry and like you said you want to get it right also at the right price, i would recommend you attend ETAR July 2020 and you can shoot all the bows you like and talk with many bowyers about their craft. Best of Luck in your quest.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
We have our annual sale going right now take a look at our webpage.  we may have what you are looking for.

dryadbows.com

mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »

I’m not trying to start an argument but I would strongly caution anyone from trying to make a 2 piece out of a bow that isn’t properly reinforced for a 2 piece.
Most 1 piece bows aren’t strong enough as is to be made into a 2 piece.
I would hate to see someone get hurt! Or destroy a perfectly good bow
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:13:03 PM by Crittergetter »
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Silent footed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
The elm and Osage in my bow riser isn't any stronger than it would be in a one piece. In fact, with the brass and steel, I would say it is even stronger.

I do want to clarify something however, because I should have been more specific. I would never suggest this for a bow that is not straight grip hill style! My god, there is a wide variety of longbows out there and a lot of them with riser/grip styles whose integrity would be compromised by a structural modification (this includes wud's recurve!).

My god, I don't know what I was thinking. It did cross my mind that his longbow may not be a straight grip/hill style, but I REALLY should have mentioned it: With the grip style of many bows, this would be a complete disaster, and it was negligence on my part to leave it for anyone reading to decide whether their bow is suitable for modification. I should have been more clear.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:37:12 PM by Silent footed »

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
Do also have a 21st Century Style LB by John, but don't think getting that cut to make two piece is in the cards either.  Best to just squirrel away the acorns to get a new bow.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member