3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So, what have you learned from this hunting season??  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
So, what have you learned from this hunting season??
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:19:39 PM »
 Every year I learn something new or have a ah-ha moment to where things makes perfect sense to me. Most of what I learn is from my mistakes. But this year, I have seemed to learn more than other years.
 One of those things is that gland lures works better than urine lures. I personally use James Valley. In my experience, I have a lot more positive response using gland based lures than I do with urine lures.
 Two, I have never shot a mature buck off a stand to where I had a trail camera. Seems like when I place a trail camera at or near one of my stands, all I see is juvenile bucks. I believe this is two reasons, one, it's nearly impossible to go into a area and not leave scent. So with that comes the possibility of bumping a mature buck or the bucks pattern me more than I pattern them. A mature buck won't tolerate being bumped to many times before moving on. They like their seclusion. I learned to place my cameras in low impact areas like tractor paths and never around stands.
 Three, I keep mobile. I rarely hunt the same stand more than twice in a row because the more that I use a stand, the more scent I will leave in the area. The more that I hunt a stand the less deer I tend to see. I have several loc-on stands but I prefer using my Summit Open Shot climbers to keep mobile and the deer guessing,,haha.
 These are just some of the things that I learned this year. I would like to hear what you learned this year that makes you a better deer hunter. Thanks!! JMG
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Horsehide

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So, what have you learned from this hunting season??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
I learned that "good enough" is not good enough.
I was the weak link of the equation.
Working on remedy to this.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »
I learned that south louisiana public land hunting is hard and deer are sparse and heavily pressured.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
I learned(again) that less time on great land is better than more time on mediocre land. There is no substitute for a target rich environment.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Slow down, pick a spot, a get out of bed when the alarm goes off-I can do it for work so I can do it to hunt, pick a spot, use my binos more than my feet, pick a dang spot!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
I learned that I really need to retire so I can spend more time hunting.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I have learned that I am definitely getting old. Both heat and cold seem to affect me greatly, and I just haven't felt like spending much time in the woods this year. This is a strong discouragement, considering how previously I looked so forward to opening day. I do have some health issues at work here, so I hope these feelings will clear up. The one long term takeaway from this is a piece of advice to all, especially the younger guys/girls in the group. While you are able and enthusiastic, take every opportunity to enjoy the woods, and be sure to share it with others if the chance presents itself. Give thanks for this lifestyle we have adopted. Just have fun with it. Many of us have had greater and lower periods of interest which is normal, so ride the high as far as it will go and as long as it will last.
Sam

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »
I learned that no matter how good you are, the deer is usually better. Not a hobby for them !

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
First year hunting public land in Georgia, what have I learned?? No where near enough !!!! Actually saw some fresh tracks today.....  :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
Unfortunately, I have learned that I am definitely getting old. Both heat and cold seem to affect me greatly, and I just haven't felt like spending much time in the woods this year. This is a strong discouragement, considering how previously I looked so forward to opening day. I do have some health issues at work here, so I hope these feelings will clear up. The one long term takeaway from this is a piece of advice to all, especially the younger guys/girls in the group. While you are able and enthusiastic, take every opportunity to enjoy the woods, and be sure to share it with others if the chance presents itself. Give thanks for this lifestyle we have adopted. Just have fun with it. Many of us have had greater and lower periods of interest which is normal, so ride the high as far as it will go and as long as it will last.
I truly hope your health issues clear up Sam and try to stay positive and all it will take is one of those special moments that only you can have in the woods. Some days as I'm sitting on stand and realize how truly blessed I am. And I have also found out when I see a big buck making his way to me, it makes all my troubles seem to go away. Keep at it my friend.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
I learned that no matter how good you are, the deer is usually better. Not a hobby for them !
Extremely true!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
Dependable transportation is a must if you expect to hunt at all.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

GCook

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »
That I work too much for a retired person with a seasonal business.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
Dependable transportation is a must if you expect to hunt at all.
That's valid,,,LOL

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
I learned a few things:

-Hunt current sign and not what looked good last year.  Trust your instincts, if you think you should move your set up, move.

-Capitalize on shot opportunities.  I'd have at least one deer if not two extra in the freezer if I had trusted myself and taken the shots.

-Enjoy the hunt and don't put too much pressure on yourself to get out there.  If you're not feeling it, it's okay to stay home and spend time with the family/friends.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
I learned a few things:

-Hunt current sign and not what looked good last year.  Trust your instincts, if you think you should move your set up, move.

-Capitalize on shot opportunities.  I'd have at least one deer if not two extra in the freezer if I had trusted myself and taken the shots.

-Enjoy the hunt and don't put too much pressure on yourself to get out there.  If you're not feeling it, it's okay to stay home and spend time with the family/friends.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Extremely true Jeremy!!

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
I learned I should have cancelled my vacation.  I know I sound like a giant vagina but it is what it is. I blew out both knees in September in CO when I fell packing out elk. I hoped I would get more mobile this past month but no such luck.  One Knee already has no ACL and DR won't do anything but replacement. (I'm holding off for as long as possible.) That is now my "good" knee.  I thought I could tough it out, but by the time I would make it to my stands and climb in I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it. Especially in the cold. Tried 1600 mg Ibuprofen and it didn't cut it and was scared to take anything stronger and climb in a tree. Just a miserable week. Couldn't get to the remote locations where my best stands are. I go in for consultation and MRI Tuesday and in for surgery after that. I guess there's always next year. However, I do have a pretty nice one coming in to the clover field on my property. Maybe a ground blind is in order?
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
I learned to pay attention to the weather app. 28 degrees and rubber boots = wearing a refrigerator on your feet. Bad part is I know better! I just didn’t look at the weather  :laughing:
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
I learned I should have cancelled my vacation.  I know I sound like a giant vagina but it is what it is. I blew out both knees in September in CO when I fell packing out elk. I hoped I would get more mobile this past month but no such luck.  One Knee already has no ACL and DR won't do anything but replacement. (I'm holding off for as long as possible.) That is now my "good" knee.  I thought I could tough it out, but by the time I would make it to my stands and climb in I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it. Especially in the cold. Tried 1600 mg Ibuprofen and it didn't cut it and was scared to take anything stronger and climb in a tree. Just a miserable week. Couldn't get to the remote locations where my best stands are. I go in for consultation and MRI Tuesday and in for surgery after that. I guess there's always next year. However, I do have a pretty nice one coming in to the clover field on my property. Maybe a ground blind is in order?
I wish you a speedy recovery and don't give up my friend. Several years ago I was in a accident that left me with a shattered ankle, a few screws and pins after a operation. My family put me on a deer cart and took me out hunting. I was blessed enough to take a nice six pointer, against doctors and wifes orders of course! So get out there in that blind!

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
I learned that public hunting options are swiftly going down the drain. Hang on to the ones you have and start actively searching for new friends that own property. Bribe them with beer, a nice bottle, steak dinner for him and the wife, whatever it takes.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©