3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A real good reason for a heavy bow!  (Read 2147 times)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
A real good reason for a heavy bow!
« on: November 18, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
There have been lots of threads and debates on here about "why do you need a heavy bow", "Is such and such weight good enough for deer, etc..." and so on.  I don't really care one way or another, shoot what you are comfortable with and be proficient with it is all that I ask...and of course legal for the game you're hunting.  However, I do have a really good reason for owning a heavier bow.  I recently got back from Africa and had a very successful trip.  I took a 51@28 recurve and brought back five big game animals.  I was fortunate that all of my shots were very good and every animal died quickly.  I did notice however, that my bow, while adequate didn't leave much room for error as far as penetration was concerned and I told myself that when I return I will take a bow at least ten pounds heavier.  Fast forward a couple weeks and I got a steal of a deal on a 61@27 Northern Mist American, which is probably 63-64 at my 28" DL.  I haven't even shot it yet (waiting until hunting seasons are over to concentrate on that), but have been pulling it back a few dozen times per day.  By doing this, it has made my 51 pound bows feel like toys.  It allows me to hold rock solid and anchor much better and my accuracy has improved because of it.  While it seems like heavy bows get a bad rap these days, I've come to believe that if you want to really shoot your bow well, get comfortable with pulling 5-10lbs heavier than what you're used to and you will see a definite improvement to your shooting.  One last thought.  Be smart about it, don't go out and try to horse back something you're not capable of pulling back.  The reward wouldn't outweigh the injury, but if you try this, I believe you'll notice a positive difference in your shooting.  Worked very well for me, just thought I'd share.

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A real good reason for a heavy bow!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
Glad your trying a heavier bow. There are good reasons to go heavy deeper penetration on marginal hits getting pass thru. Having said that only if your capable of accuracy with the heavy weight and you don't injure yourself. It also helps if you have a direct hit on bone that extra weight can mean a lot in that situation. Don't get me wrong I know lighter weight gets results. If you can handle it do it. (60 -61 is not really heavy weight) Best of Luck!
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
Glad your trying a heavier bow. There are good reasons to go heavy deeper penetration on marginal hits getting pass thru. Having said that only if your capable of accuracy with the heavy weight and you don't injure yourself. It also helps if you have a direct hit on bone that extra weight can mean a lot in that situation. Don't get me wrong I know lighter weight gets results. If you can handle it do it. (60 -61 is not really heavy weight) Best of Luck!

You are correct, 60ish pounds isn't exactly heavy...thought of that after I posted.  The point was more about drawing or shooting a heavier bow than what you normally shoot really helps with the bow that you want to primarily shoot.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
Great post Sam well stated and very thoughtful......

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »
I also was in Africa and took 6 animals using a 70 lb bow, which I have shot for over 25 years.  I was glad to have the extra poundage as nearly all my shots were pass threw and the animals didn't go far.  I probably could have used a lesser poundage but think you should shoot as heavy a bow as you can.  I sure wouldn't have wanted to invest that kind of money for an African hunt and show up with a light weight bow.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 06:26:43 PM »
Never hunted Africa and probably never will, may not even hunt out of state.  I shoot 60-65# bows for similar reasons, I like the feel of the release.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Great post Sam well stated and very thoughtful......
Thank you sir!

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
Love heavy bows
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
Jumping from 50 + to 60#, will allow you to shoot an arrow around 600 grains, (based on 10 gr. per bow weight). It will certainly help.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
There have been lots of threads and debates on here about "why do you need a heavy bow", "Is such and such weight good enough for deer, etc..." and so on.  I don't really care one way or another, shoot what you are comfortable with and be proficient with it is all that I ask...and of course legal for the game you're hunting.  However, I do have a really good reason for owning a heavier bow.  I recently got back from Africa and had a very successful trip.  I took a 51@28 recurve and brought back five big game animals.  I was fortunate that all of my shots were very good and every animal died quickly.  I did notice however, that my bow, while adequate didn't leave much room for error as far as penetration was concerned and I told myself that when I return I will take a bow at least ten pounds heavier.  Fast forward a couple weeks and I got a steal of a deal on a 61@27 Northern Mist American, which is probably 63-64 at my 28" DL.  I haven't even shot it yet (waiting until hunting seasons are over to concentrate on that), but have been pulling it back a few dozen times per day.  By doing this, it has made my 51 pound bows feel like toys.  It allows me to hold rock solid and anchor much better and my accuracy has improved because of it.  While it seems like heavy bows get a bad rap these days, I've come to believe that if you want to really shoot your bow well, get comfortable with pulling 5-10lbs heavier than what you're used to and you will see a definite improvement to your shooting.  One last thought.  Be smart about it, don't go out and try to horse back something you're not capable of pulling back.  The reward wouldn't outweigh the injury, but if you try this, I believe you'll notice a positive difference in your shooting.  Worked very well for me, just thought I'd share.

Sam, I liked your thread. It is well said. I’ve shot 58/61# bows since the beginning and as of recently I had drop down in bow weight (51#) due to shoulder issues and multiple doctor visits.
I have always been an advocate of shooting heavy arrows, and still do with my current bow weight ( 13 GPP).
I personally have not noticed anything different with my release or have had any issues with it.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Bisch

A real good reason for a heavy bow!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
I believe a guy should HUNT with the most draw weight he can shoot accurately under pressure (live critter, cold, competition, etc.). If that weight is on the lower end, then just use good judgement as to what critters you will or will not shoot. For me, that’s right at, or just above 50#. I have had a neck injury, that prohibits me from shooting much more than that at all, much less under pressure.

If all you do is target shoot, then if does not matter what you shoot!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:12:34 AM by Bisch »

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
It's your shoulders and other concerned body parts so shoot what you want. Personally I won't go over 55.. I want to shoot pain free and hunt for a few more decades. To each their own..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©