3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Evolution of a bowhunter  (Read 1658 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Evolution of a bowhunter
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
I have noticed a definite evolution in myself as a bowhunter throught  the years. When I first started, I needed to kill every deer I legally was allowed to. Not to many were able to make it past me. As time whent on I became very selective, killing only bucks. This gave way to only killing bucks that met a certain size minimum. Then the big change came, I put away my compound for good. I always dabbled in traditional archery but usually did all my serious hunting with my compound. I have found the excitement that was slowly leaving me as in past years, some of the most fun I ever had is getting those deer close to me and being so excited I shot over or under them. I practiced long and hard but nothing can prepare you for that extra adrenaline rush. Now as I hunt with my recurves I am once again enjoying the outdoors for what it is and not just what I can shoot. I am once again being more and more selective, I have 8 heads on the wall right now. I only plan on adding to this if I find something rather unique. Anyone else go through these stages or is it me getting old, If 53 is old.....lol

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Evolution of a bowhunter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
There is definitely an evolution to bow hunting. I agree, my story is similar except I only tried a compound for 1 or 2 years then went right back to Traditional. At the time it seemed to easy with the compound. Traditional bows put the challenged back in it for me.

I'm 66 now I so much enjoy the woods while bow hunting if the right shot presents itself fine if not tomorrow is another day. Good Hunting to All!
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
I'm like Bill in that I dabbled with compounds for @3 years when they first came out.  Had hunted recurve prior to that and then came back, now primarily R/D Longbow with one Kota D shaped bow.  Recently, traded for a couple TD recurves, we'll see were that goes.  My hunting has been fairly limited after moving to Texas and not being able to pay for a lease.  Hunt Government land when I can, but the restrictions are  very limiting.  There is one piece of PHL that is open for hogs, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive and that limits time up there.  There is drawing for deer, but have never put in for that due to the distance.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
The evolution f many hunters or fisherman are similar to what you’re describing but everyone progresses at dif pace. Some don’t continue the evolution either.

First stage- I wanna kill something
Stage 2- want a limit
Stage 3-4 are somewhat interchangeable, equipment limitations or trophy type challenges.
For some they come full circle as they say n begin to teach.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Bisch

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
I’m sure I have evolved since I started shooting trad bows over 20yrs ago!!! But I still just love shooting stuff with my longbow. I like shooting a big buck just as much as the next guy, but I can be just as happy shooting a pile of does or pigs!!!! I have never been much of a “trophy” guy. I have a house full of mounts, several of which some would ask why I mounted that one. They were all the biggest at one time, and all mean something special to me!!!!

I shot a buck this morning with Hope! I’ll be out there with her again this afternoon trying to add one more doe to the story before I have to send her on to the next guy to get her.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
You're 53? Good Lord you're still a kid! Old doesn't start until you hit three figures and then its negotiable.
Don't let the ol' man in
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
My evolution TO the trad bow was a very personal decision.  That said, I really, really, really like meat on the ground so my strategy is to hunt for any legal animal until I am on my last tag.  At that point I begin looking for a mature animal of either sex.  To me the biggest reward is the actual pursuit itself but again, I really like to have meat harvested as well.  I certainly don't look down on those that want to chase trophy animals but I really couldn't care less about the mounts or trophy photos or all of that.  My rewards are in the pure satisfaction of getting to be a part of the wild for a bit and bringing home some dinner.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I know 53 isn't old, but its older than 20 when I had to kill everything I saw in the woods. I too no longer need to add to my heads on the wall. I can shoot does anytime I want. Don't need those either. I do like the game though, it's the chase that's fun for me know and all the work that goes into it. Scouting, hanging stands, its all part of what I enjoy. After some medical issues the past 6 or so that have really slowed me down, I definitely stop to smell the roses. Seems like a lot more need to do just that. Just like Bisch I love to shoot trophy bucks and wont pass up a shot, but it's the total experience that flips my switch now.

GCook

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
I like to hunt and kill stuff.  I enjoy cruising on my buddy's electric cart and shooting pigs with my AR15 SBR.  I enjoy shooting deer with a bow.  I'd rather it be with a trad bow but if circumstances dictate a longer range shot will be needed I can break out my compound and kill with it too.  Like right now I'm in Missouri during gun season sitting in a stand every morning and evening with my longbow.   
For deer it is bow only.  That said, on out of state trips, I get tag soup a lot.
And yeah, I went through the progression.  But I do it for me.  I do what I enjoy because it fulfills me.  I don't look at it as I'm a better hunter or outdoorsman because I'm doing it a certain way.  I'm not much for elitist bullies.
Heck who knows. Maybe in five years I'll only hunt with a spear.
I just love to hunt.  Pigs, deer, exotics.   Ducks, doves, small game. 
Kill it and grill it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
I enjoy the outdoors and nature. Using trad equipment is a challenge and make things interesting. It’s also a way for me to connect with my dad, who loved trad bowhunting and who passed away in 2018.

Since this is my first year hunting this way, it will be interesting to see how my mindset shifts and how it stays the same.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
I enjoy the outdoors and nature. Using trad equipment is a challenge and make things interesting. It’s also a way for me to connect with my dad, who loved trad bowhunting and who passed away in 2018.

Since this is my first year hunting this way, it will be interesting to see how my mindset shifts and how it stays the same.

Sorry for your loss, James. It's been 30 years for me and I'm still not past it.
Bowhunting for me has become less about hunting and more about sitting enjoying the woods with a bow in my hand. If a deer happens to jump in front of my arrow, oh well... :dunno:
I also have really come to enjoy roving (or stumping) with my grown son; we've had some really great adventures! :campfire:
Aim small,miss small

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
We may be motivated by a variety of different characteristics of the outdoor experience. And our motivation may evolve. I have my own yet, much is predicated in permitting the enjoyment of the full season.

Since 2015, I have yet to release an arrow on a buck. Have made 399 deer hunts from the ground and have passed on 181 solid traditional shot opportunities on bucks. Perhaps the opportunity that I am in pursuit of, will materialize. If not, I will continue to take great pleasure in enjoying the hunt.

The traditional experience is exponentially enhanced by taking in the full outdoor experience.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
I'm still kind of young but I'm in the midst of the transition now. For over 20 years I Bow hunted an average of 80-90 days a year and killed a pile of deer. Also went thru the trophy only phase. The biggest factor for my down turn was the loss of my brother whom was my best friend and hunting buddy 2 years ago to suicide.  Second was taking a job that doesn't permit me the time to give it 100% and I'm the type that if I can't go full bore I don't do it. I will still kill a P&Y buck if it comes through, but don't have the fire I once did.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »
bucknut, so sorry to hear about your brother. That has to be the toughest way to lose a loved one.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »
I was brought up with a recurve but migrated to a compound in the early 80's. But when company's started making wheelie bows shorter and shorter, they needed a triggered device to shoot. I couldn't put the two together, bowhunting with a triggered device?? I went back to a recurve in the early 90's and have never returned to compounds. No regrets.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »
My trajectory has been the same for most of my hunting, firearm or archery.  At this point in I really don’t care if I kill anything or not but I would not pass an opportunity to take a heavy racked Indiana or Ohio buck.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
My path was similar but different. I was 20 when I goy my first compound after shooting recurves growing up. Sold my compound  3 years later and went to a Howard Hill longbow. Even back then how I did it was important. Yes I wanted to kill something in the worst way but deer were scarce then and it was tough. I killed a lot of squirrels , rabbits and groundhogs back then. Almost 40 years later here I am still hunting with a longbow and still enjoying it. Killed my best buck ever this year.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »
It's called the five stages of bowhunting! Search it. We all go through it and as some mentioned,  some never advance past a certain stage. That's ok. I remember like yesterday  when I was in the kill everything stage with a recurve. This was when everyone else was changing over to the new improved wheeled bows. I just wanted to show that I was a "hunter" with a recurve and awesome. One day I killed a grouse, a squirrel, a raccoon and at the end of the day a doe deer. As I met up at the end of day dragging my doe deer I was proud as heck. Guys were impressed. Then I unloaded my back pack of the other game!

Now days  I'd rather just sit and watch life go by in the woods. But I never begrudge someone for being in the beginning stages of becoming a hunter. 
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »
I never begrudge someone for being in the beginning stages of becoming a hunter.

I think that is a very important point to remember.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©