3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coming Home Again  (Read 1569 times)

Offline marc_groleau

• Trad Bowhunter
Coming Home Again
« on: November 20, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »
Hi All,
So I started archery an bow hunting many years ago. Strictly traditional. I joined this site when it was first getting up and running. I was building recurves and longbows. Building and shooting wood arrows. All the good stuff. Some old timers here may remember me as a bowyer, or maybe not.
 After fighting a long bout of target panic, I gave up and switched to compound bows. I found that I could continue hunting with a compound and make lethal shots on deer if I did. After many years now of hunting with and shooting compounds, I feel like I can try to take up traditional archery again. I plan on starting on the practice field only.  Starting from scratch and this time try to avoid the bad habits that ruined traditional archery for me on the first go-round. If I’m successful, who knows, maybe hunting with traditional gear, some day, could be possible. Hope springs eternal as they say. I plan on staying current with this site. There’s lots to learn and I may ask for help from time to time.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coming Home Again
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
Welcome back.  You should check out Jim Casto Jr he has a system for target panic that has helped a lot of people.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:11:11 AM »
Welcome back! :thumbsup:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
Pull on up and dry your boots by the fire.  Let's talk.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline marc_groleau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
Thanks,
I did get JC Jr. plan for beating TP. I will be applying his plan.

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:03:09 PM »
Welcome back, and hope it all goes well for you!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline marc_groleau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 06:22:43 PM »
One thing I am surprised to learn as I spend more time reading current traditional archery info is the way that ILF technology has permeated traditional archery culture. It was seldom mentioned when I was last immersed in traditional archery. I presently am toying with bows I built years ago but I may acquire an ILF riser and light limbs and begin my reunion with traditional archery that way. 

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM »
One thing I am surprised to learn as I spend more time reading current traditional archery info is the way that ILF technology has permeated traditional archery culture. It was seldom mentioned when I was last immersed in traditional archery. I presently am toying with bows I built years ago but I may acquire an ILF riser and light limbs and begin my reunion with traditional archery that way.

Not a bad approach at all. Start with a set of light limbs to work on form and move up as your strength increases. This would probably help with the TP situation as well.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
I'm in a similar situation.  I had "IT" so bad it was ridiculous.  I had to totally change my shooting style to a very deliberate hold and anchor but then was flinching on release horribly.  I quit for nearly ten years.  Tore both rotator cuffs in that time and just recently started shooting regularly again.  Oddly, I'm shooting better than ever.  More able to relax and let the bow do it's thing.  I had very sharp pain in my left shoulder at the release for several years but just a couple weeks ago that completely went away!  I was REALLY excited because I was laying arrows in the target like I hadn't done since I was a teenager.  Lately though, I've caught a couple telltale signs of the old twitch.  I'm forcing myself to be very deliberate and honest in analyzing my shooting.  I nearly always know what I did wrong and can then shoot a couple more shots focusing on that  problem and get back in the groove.  Biggest thing I believe now is that years ago I was simply shooting way too much.  That is, too many shots in one session.  I think I was getting tired but kept shooting because I loved it so much and in the end was practicing bad habits.  Now, if I start to feel like I'm slipping, I kinda regroup mentally, force myself to shoot a good shot or two then quit for the day.  Seems to be working so far.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
I'm in  Biggest thing I believe now is that years ago I was simply shooting way too much.  That is, too many shots in one session.  I think I was getting tired but kept shooting because I loved it so much and in the end was practicing bad habits.  Now, if I start to feel like I'm slipping, I kinda regroup mentally, force myself to shoot a good shot or two then quit for the day.  Seems to be working so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Especially if shooting with a heavier bow. I've personally (YMMV) found that 2+dozen with a heavy bow will wear me down to the point my groups go completely to hell in a handbasket. At that point, continuing to shoot does more harm than good.
Aim small,miss small

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Another way to ease back into this is shoot your traditional bow like your compound.   You mentioned you shot it well.

Don't get all caught up into what is "traditional" (FYI nobody knows, its all opinion).    Guns,  bows, etc. all use the same method more or less.  Pick the spot, get into position, aim at that spot and squeeze off the shot.  Aim however you want even start with a sight if you want.  Grab your release too.  Nobody cares.

My guess is you want to shoot well and this approach will work.  And nothing stops you from dropping some of this method later if you want either, just enjoy shooting your bow

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »
       I would recommend taking a clinic with Rod Jenkins. He will give you the  tools and a method to do what you want.  Not only are his clinics educational but you get to meet some other great archers while you up your game. Rod is a good guy to hang out with too! :-)   ( this is the voice of experience )
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »
Glad to hear you're getting back to it Mark!
I well remember your first go round.
Anything I can do to help let me know
I'm in Africa until the beginning of December . I've a couple of courses set up on the farm at home

Offline marc_groleau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
Hey Paul,
Good to hear from you. Africa! Holy Co, thats awesome! Good luck out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©