3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stick Bow Column Ideas  (Read 987 times)

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stick Bow Column Ideas
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I just landed a new writing job at Bow & Arrow Hunting magazine and could use your suggestions for topics.

The first article is Shooting No Nos. It is an interview with Rod Jenkins, Len Cardinale and Ken Beck on the most common shooting mistakes for trad archers. How to diagnose and eliminate them.

The second article is a discussion on quiver types. I interviewed Mark Baker - hip quivers; John Shepard - back quivers; Nathan Anderson - Cat Quivers; Terry Green - bow mounted quivers, and covered my thoughts on side quivers.

Many of you know my heart will always be with TBM and they always have first chance at what I write. But it is nice to have a regular column job at the oldest archery magazine still being published and maybe reach some new folks that might want to give our side of the sport a try.

Please help me out with some ideas for subjects that would be of interest. Thanks for your help.

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stick Bow Column Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Hunting with vintage equiptment-Hunting with primitive equiptment-Hunting with Hi tech traditional equipt.-Making your own trad bow-Making your own Trad quiver-Trad arrow selections-Are carbon arrows Trad?-What is instintive?-Glove or tab?------There is your first years topics...Good luck Curt

Offline buzzcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
How about a column that talks about the difference/advantages of a stickbow over a wheel bow when hunting.  Might give the wheelie guys something to think about.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
How about one on turning kids and new folks onto archery?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Congrats on landing the column.  Though I don't shoot carbons, I think the trad guys are leading the way in front loading carbons for good arrow flight and penetration.  That might be worth a column.  Ed Ashby's research on broadheads, penetration, etc. deserves broader dissemination.  How to make good wood arrows is another good topic.  It's done every few years, but there' always more newbies getting into the game.  Traveling with trad gear, particularly airline travel requirements.  Good luck.

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Todays new hybrid longbows-Recurve or longbow?-Making your own wood arrows-Short or long bows:whats best for you?-Hunting from the ground-Trad camo:your choices-Why we use feathers-Off the shelf or rest?Second years topics....Curt

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Get started in trad for $150:the challange-Ghilli suits and the trad hunter-seats for ground hunting-Fred Bear the trad legend-Why simple is better-Packs for trad hunters-Earl Hoyt shot trad-Why we use trad equipt-Howard Hill-Third years topics....Curt

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS Denny!!!!!!!!!!    :clapper:  

I hope this is a "long term" position LOL!!!!!

At 1 subject a month,your probly gonna get 10-15 YEARS worth of ideas out of these guys!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Denny what about doing one on Broadhead selection. 2, 3, or 4 blade and what works best for certain hunting situations.  Maybe a few different oppinions from well know bowhunters.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Discerning fact from fiction could cover a lot of things: it doesn't cost a fortune to get a quality set-up for targets and/or hunting;  learning to shoot isn't that hard;  there's nothing wrong with using a system of aiming;  etc. etc. etc.

Chad

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Traditional Archery and the internet...pros and cons ???
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Traditional gear and the modern man.  An article on the lure or draw of so many former compound shooters to traditional equipment.

Traditional archery is not just about the gear it's also about the mind set.  An article covering the basic differences in the style of hunting used by traditional bow hunters vs. the compound bow hunters.  For example, traditional bow hunters hunt more from the ground at eye level with their prey while the majority of compound bow hunters use tree stands.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Denny,
      Congrats on the position!  How about a definitive article on properly selecting arrows, i.e., spine, point weight, length.  There seem to be an awful lot of threads related to this topic lately, so there must be a need.

Shoot Straight
    Frank
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Congratulations Denny. How about something to help cut the conflict between compound and trad shooters so instead of putting each other down we work together to preserve our sport.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Congratulations Denny!  
Some great suggestions already - there are so many things you can discuss in a column like this.  Try to remember your audience - primarily people who don't already shoot traditional.

Reaching out to the people who currently shoot compounds is by far the best way to help spread the word about what we love so much.  Like you, I love TBM, but it is only preaching to the choir.  The people not currently shooting trad never get a chance to see it.  So I think what you are doing is even more important than writing another article for TBM.

Keep the topics simple and basic - focus on the fun of shooting trad gear.  Let them know that people hunting with trad gear can be just as successful as wheel shooters.  Tell them about the amazing growth of traditional archery and how it helps those who might be loosing interest in bowhunting rekindle the love for the sport that they once felt.  Throw in a little history, and discuss ethics and fair chase.  The satisfaction that comes with accepting a greater challange.

So many topics to fit into one little column, but a good man is on the job!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Congratulations, Denny!

How about a column about why you DON'T feel "disadvantaged" hunting with trad equipment?
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I was in a Cabellas store a few months ago and a guy was walking around with a strung 48" bear magnum trying to find arrows to use with it and the employee there grabs some carbons with vanes and got pissed at me when I commented that a feathered shaft might be a better choice.It is important to remember the basics and stuff that is old to us is new and different to them.Whips comments are right on...Curt

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
Wow, congrats Denny and great responses....I agree on encouragement of those with youth and those who are into the compound shooting as well, women too...
Simplicity is a key for that but encouragement is what draws the sparked interest in many who may not tap into if not offered otherwise.
(I know that for myself)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Denny congrats on the column. I think that a few good column ideas would be:

1) Archers giving back to the community. (Hosting hunters ed classes, Pitching in to clean up after natural disasters etc)

2) Profiles of some of the pioneers in the sport.

3) Ways to get youth started. (Club fun shoots, Cookouts with bows and targets for the kids to try. Etc)

If you get behind and need someone to pinch hit for you let me know! LOL

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
As several have already said, anything regarding youth involvement will be a sucess.  Also keying in on the fun of shooting traditional.  An article about just picking up a bow and going stump shooting with the family would be good.  I know many compound shooters who have no idea what fun a walk in the woods with a bow can be.  Many of my hunting buddies fall into this group.  They get so wrapped up in the technical side of shooting a compound that they forget its supposed to be fun.  As soon as they spend a day out stump shooting with me they remember how fun flinging arrows can be.  I usually bring along a back up bow and let them try it out.  Most usually end the day wanting to go home and order a traditional bow of their own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©