3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stick Bow Column Ideas  (Read 989 times)

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stick Bow Column Ideas
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Congrats on the column Denny. I like to read about hunting Alaska, Hawaii, Australia or any out of the way stuff. I like to read about the hunt but also who you hunted with, how you got there and a break down what everything cost. It is nice to see what things are within my reach or not. Maybe some stuff on how effective trad. equipment is on large tough animals like moose, elk, water buff., I get from a lot of compound shooters "can you kill a bear with that?"

Offline Rob Fin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
How about an article on your personal shooting style and aiming method and why you do it the way you do it? How does it help you in hunting situations? What are the pros and cons of your style? I think it's always interesting to read about someone's style and maybe take 1 or 2 tips from it.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Informal practice, ie. stump shooting as opposed to 'target' shooting. The joys of roving the hills with trad equipment.
Different bow types and characteristics. A column on longbows and their characteristics, recurves, flatbows, selfbows, etc.
Arrow speed vs. arrow weight for hunting.
Good luck in your writing!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Congrats Denny! How about some articles that cover the wide array of species taken by trad hunters. So that the wheel crowd can see that trad bows can and do take sheep,goats and dangerous game etc.
hunt it

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Congrats my Longbow buddy, how about a article on the "Perfect Arrow"for hunting...wow thats a loaded topic   :thumbsup:  or longbow dos and donts....how about I hush, and wait for my copy lol..again Good Luck ...Mark#78  :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Have an Article about Archery as an entire Family Sport that the entire Family can enjoy, like Bowling or any other Sport that the whole Family takes part in enjoying. Archery dosen't always have too include Hunting, just shooting Archery for the pure pleasure of watching an arrow Fly.

Also how We as Archers and Archery Bow Hunters can influence our School systems in our communitys, to promote haveing Bowhunter/Education classes and possible Archery Sports as part of there regular classes, We have Football teams, Basketball teams, Socer Teams, track teams, Golf teams, WHY NOT ARCHERY TEAMS IN OUR SCHOOLS? I know that in My home State of Kansas we already have classes in Archery in progress in some of our Schools.

Iam a Certified NBEF Instructor and am more than willing to help teach Archery in our schools....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :)    :)

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Congrats - I think a "getting started" article would intrigue many and possbily bring a few over from the dark side.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
When I first got started info on buying a used bow would have been nice. Like what flaws to look for on a used bow and where and what a bows brace height was and how to change it so it would shoot good. Also the safe way to string and unstring would have been be helpful along with proper storage.
Also any of the info on different shooting styles like in your shooting videos would have been nice.
Congradulations
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Congrats on the new job. When I first got introduced to shooting a recurve, I had no Idea that people hunting with them. I went from hunting with a rifle to a compound bow. A recurve or longbow never crossed my mind. And I bet its that way with lot of compound shooters today. So I guess any of the mentioned subjects would bring light to the tradition world. Articles on the effectiveness of a recurve or longbow would be good. My 2 cents. Good luck.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Hey Denny, glad you're on with them. I might have to subscribe now!

Setting up your trad bow to hunt / tuning your carbon arrows for best arrow flight.

Luck !

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I love hearing the good ol hunting stories. It keeps my interest and it reminds me of reading some of Fred Bears stories and how they really drew me into the adventure. There are tons of information on the technical side of bowhunting and I usually only look at these if I am interested in a specific thing.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I like Hawkeye's suggestion. Comin from someone like you carries a little more weight.

Here's a copy of Hawkeye's post:

Congratulations, Denny!

How about a column about why you DON'T feel "disadvantaged" hunting with trad equipment?

Hawkeye.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Small game hunting with the bow. How about why does are trophies too?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks for all of your great ideas. I'm going to print this thread.

B&A has been printing a couple feature articles that have longbows and recurves in them the last few issues. The editor, Joe Bell, is a hardcore hunter and respects trad archers. He's written some great backcountery backpack articles that I've really enjoyed myself. I think this will be fun and maybe we'll see some new faces here at TradGang.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Fact or fiction trad hunters wound more game than they kill, I here this in compound shops over and over , however I here about 90 yard ELK shots because they saw someone do it on TV show, so they do it...again good luck.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Hey Denny, how about interviewing some former compound shooters that switched over to trad and have taken their first game. It would be cool to have them explain how they felt when that happened.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
How about showing the versitility of trad bows like you did in the instictive shooting video where you shoot off you belly. I have never read anything that covered proper technique for those positions.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
I think if I had to do a column every month I would break my column into sections like:
1. Start with a "blog"--whatever you want to talk about.
2. Then add a tech section discussing such things as feather burners and how to set them up or anything else that would fall into this catagory.
3. Then maybe a "review" section or equipment section where you could discuss things like great quivers or backpacks.
4. Then maybe a "faces in the crowd" section like what sports illistrated does where you could list differant Trad. shooters in differant areas. There are some great shooters and hunters out there that nobody really knows of. Lots of small towns around the US have good shooters and hunters. You could post their picture, list what they shoot and maybe their tips.

I don't know how much room they give you to work with but these where just some ideas that popped up. Another thing I used to really like reading was the ramblings of the colonel in the back of Guns and Ammo mag. He just talked about anything and went from one topic to the next, but it kept up my interest. That was always interesting to me.

Stuff like that to me are at least more interesting and better than the same ol thing everybodys used to seeing.

Just my thoughts, Gapmaster

and congrats on the assignment !!!!
"Just passing through"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
A lot of good suggestions and I am sure whatever you write, we will enjoy. Congrats and can't wait to see you in print.

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
3 vs. 4 fletch...  Working this right now.  How bout how to film yourself hunting...  That might be a cakewalk for you!

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©