3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: User feedback-Bear Montana  (Read 2954 times)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
User feedback-Bear Montana
« on: November 27, 2019, 01:05:08 PM »
I've long admired the sleek looks and comfortable feel of the Bear Montana longbow, however I've not had an opportunity to draw or shoot one. If any of you own and/or shoot one, can you give a quick summary of your impressions?
Aim small,miss small

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: User feedback-Bear Montana
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
I had one from the first year it came out. Mine was destroyed in a fire last year. However, I can tell you what it last like.

It’s a good starter longbow. It’s a durable...tough bow, can take a beating, it’s not fast...heavy arrows would drop like a rock past 15yds. It’s quite as a mouse.

Price has gone up a bit and there are better intro longbows out there for the money.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
I had one for a few years and it was a good solid bow. Very quiet as mentioned in the previous post. I would still have it but for a buddy who really wanted to get into archery and couldn't afford a good bow. I traded it to him for something (don't remember what) so he could get started. He still shoots it now after 10 or 12 years and has killed game with it nearly every year.

It's doesn't have fancy wood or anything like the "high end" bows but as far as performance it meets any standard as a quality hunting tool. All the bling in the world doesn't help put arrows on target. If you get one, just be sure your arrows are of the correct spine and shoot well, you will do great!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »
I have had several, good solid bow that shoots well. Not very pretty but not so bad that you wouldn’t take her to the dance. I really liked the ones I had, I dropped down in weight is the reason I sold or traded. I thought they performed very well !!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:30:15 PM by ron w »
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
Forgot to mention...unless they have updated or changed the design from the original....a lot of people would mod them. The handle was a brick and the limb tips could double as a spear if sharpened. So, reshaping the handle and limb tips was common.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:59:47 PM by KentuckyWolf »
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
Forgot to mention...unless they have updated or changed the design from the original....a lot of people would mod them. The handle was a brick and the limb tips could double as a spear if sharpened. So, reshaping the handle and limb tips was common.

The one common negative I kept reading about was complaints about the leather grip and string being lousy...newer reviews indicated Bear was addressing this.
Aim small,miss small

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
I bought one of the first ones as well. I needed a backup bow for an Elk hunt. I am one of those who modified the 4x4 block grip and the limb tips were a good basis for a walking stick. I put a FF string on it as well. It shot even better. Only reason I parted with it was I wasn’t shooting it and a friend wanted to try a LB. Far as I know that bow is still running around the hills of Montana with him.

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
I did the same in modifying it...would still have it as a backup but it was delaminated in a fire.
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
Price has gone up a bit and there are better intro longbows out there for the money.

Specifically?
Aim small,miss small

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
Its a reliable workhorse.  Quiet, shoots fine, not a speed demon.  Thats about all there is to say. 
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Its a reliable workhorse.  Quiet, shoots fine, not a speed demon.  Thats about all there is to say.

Sound perfect then, for an entry level longbow!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
I had one,  and just upgraded. I didn't know how much i didn't like it until I got a new bow.  The bear AuSable is supposed to be very good.   I'd look at just about any other bow in its price range.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
I had one,  and just upgraded. I didn't know how much i didn't like it until I got a new bow.  The bear AuSable is supposed to be very good.   I'd look at just about any other bow in its price range.
AuSable is a much better bow...but much pricier too.
Aim small,miss small

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »

Specifically?

Bodkin slick stick. Maddog prairie predator. To name a few.
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 08:50:43 PM »

Specifically?

Bodkin slick stick. Maddog prairie predator. To name a few.

The Maddog is definitely in the wheelhouse...priced accordingly! Less than MSRP on the Montana.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
I'm only new to traditional bows so this is more a comment about my own struggles than anything else...

My Bear Montana seems like a nice bow. I bought it used in great condition and the leather grip has been removed, and the string is very good. I also bought another string off a custom maker here in Aus.

For me, I can't complain much about the quality; it shoots quietly, punches the arrows out nicely, even if a little 'slow'. The main problem for me is that the longbow style of grip is hard to get used to, as my other two bows have a much more pronounced pistol-recurve grip. As a result, the longbow whacks my arm a little when shooting and it takes a bit of getting used to. When I've got it happening nicely however, it's a beautiful bow to shoot.

Mind you, I'm currently trying to sell it to fund another, similar longbow.  :banghead:

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:58 PM »
I've shot a couple of them and they're a decent longbow. They aren't the fastest, but shoot decent.
My biggest complaint is the riser. The riser is like holding a square block in your hand. It doesn't really fit well and is not rounded for any comfort.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
I shot one for a month this spring, as a test run before buying it from an archery club friend.  Always liked the looks, and wanted one in the stable.  Very glad he loaned it for a month, because I had the same issue he had - really pronounced hand shock.  The bow was fun to shoot in that it was solid, stable, smooth and quiet.  But with every shot, I could feel the "thump" in the heel of my bow hand and, after about 30 shots or so, I could feel it in my elbow.  I never experienced that before.  It was not pleasant.  I shot arrows from 450 grains to 560 grains through that 45#er, and the result was the same no matter the arrow.  When I returned it, thanked him but declined the purchase and told him why, he said "me too - that's why I'm selling it.  Glad to know it wasn't just me."

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
I hunted with a Montana for 5 years...and like a fool sold it last summer. Out of all the bows I have had...including customs...it is my all time favorite. It is just a no nonsense, reliable, workhorse of a hunting bow. Killed alot of critters with mine!

I took the leather grip and rest off mine and replaced with a sur-grip and velcro for the rest. And of course got rid of the rope they sent for a string.

Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
I had one, it was quiet but very slow. However my draw was around 26" at the time (learned to use my back since then!), so that may have had something to do with it. Replaced it with a Mahaska longbow, which is a great entry longbow if you can find one.
Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©