3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting boot help  (Read 400 times)

Offline the not so straight arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting boot help
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
hey fellas,
i need to invest in a seriouse pair or hunting boots, right now i use my knee high muck boots for most stuff but they are not going to cut it next year when i hunt some more rugged terrain in the back country of the adirondacks. I need a boot that can handle, snow, mud, rocks, and a goodly amount of water, and through all of it stay dry. Im gunna be looking around on cabelas but if anyone has any recomendations id really appreciate it. any thoughts?
-cory
burry me with my longbow, and a dozen good shafts, heard theres big deer in heaven

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting boot help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
You might want to look into the Danner Canadian 10'' 600 Gram boots.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
I second the Danners.  I have the 8" Elk Hunters non insulated and the 10" Canadian 600 Gram insulated and love them both!!  I dont think I will ever find a better boot than Danner!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Cabela's Elk Hunter. Worth the high price.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Danner, but make sure you get the American made models and not the Chinese junk.  Go with the all leather models for max waterproofness.  Gore-tex does wear out over time. They will last you years if you take care of them.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Bought a pair of Danners last year. There's been times when the only part of me that was dry was my feet.

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Schnees Hunter II pack boot. 13 inch.

I swear by them and I hunt in some of the most rugged terrain on the planet. I cannot say enough nice things about this boot. Bought my first pair last year and never looked back.

Oh yes, I agree with Stumpknocker on Chinese junk. Avoid it. Avoid like the plague. It is garbage.

Robert

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
I sure like the Asolo 530s. I have put them through a lot, out here in Oregon, and they have held up. Walked through shallow creeks without any wet feet. Never really had to break them in, great right out of the box.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Second for the Schnees. You get what you pay for and they are the best boots I've ever worn, hands down.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Schnee's Sheep Hunter GTX's by Lowa.  Excellent boot....they're what I wear when elk hunting.  Condition them with Nikwax or Snowseal and your feet will never get wet.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Can't say enough good about the Asolo TPS 535 hiking boot-everything that Snag said; and excellent grip when the going gets really iffy-like steeps and loose surfaces.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I like the schnee as well. I only have owned one pair but had them for 10 years. I heard they were sold, but still looked after by the old owner! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Try the Meindel Perfekt Hunters, sold at Cabelas.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Schnees has an American-made pak boot (sold direct from Schnees) and a chinese made pak boot (Sportsman Series sold at other retailers like Sportsmans Warehouse).

At first glance they look the same but they do NOT feel the same.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Cabelas Alaskan Hunters by Meindel are by far the best heavy duty hunting boot I have owned. They are not cheap $275.00 or so but they are well worth it. I have two pairs of $500.00 custom boots and niether of them are as good as the Alaskans.
hunt it

Offline Gnat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I'd find any pair of medium-weight all-leather hiking/backpacking boots that is comfortable on your feet and not too stiff in the sole.  Waterproof them well several times with NikWax or something similar (the rub-on wax kind, not the spray on stuff), and then get a pair of OR (Outdoor Research) Crocodile Gaiters. Make sure you get a good size that fits tight around your boot and put them on as directed, looping underneath the boot after yout attach the velco down your shin.

I was a backcountry ranger in Alaska for years and I promise you can't beat this combo. You can cross streams and everything (as long as you step quick and have fitted the gaiters to your boots well). Plus you can ditch the gaiters quickly when the hiking isn't wet and muddy, and clean them easily.

You get adaptability, good ankle support, and this will be way less "clunky" than a lot of options. Look for italian or american made boots, without gore-tex if you can find them. I like Garmont boots, but there are several other good brands as well.

Another nice thing to include in this system is thin poly-pro "sock liners" under your normal Smartwool-type socks. These will help wick moisture and prevent blisters, and if your feet do get wet you honestly won't even notice.

Check it.
All truly great thoughts are  conceived while walking.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
I don't think most of you guys didn't read the original post.  It says a knee high boot.  Most boots mentioned are not knee high.  I don't know what the Adirondacks are like, but if there's a lot a water I'd go with a LaCrosse rubber boot with the insulation choice of weather in mind from Cabelas (uninsulated to I believe 2000 grams).  If your walking all day these are not as good as the knee high Schnee.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I have a worn out pair of Herman Survivors, old good one's.  Leather out side with a leather lined inside.  Of course they were great boots so they decided not to make them anymore!!!  Does anyone know of a boot made that is simular in this description,  Leather outside  with a leather lined inside.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©