3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bosen "Horn" vs. Hoyt "Satori"  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
Bosen "Horn" vs. Hoyt "Satori"
« on: November 28, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
So the wife is approving a new purchase (read: she's helping me out as a Christmas gift).

I'm betwixt and between the Bosen Horn 17" ILF riser and the Hoyt Satori 17".

Is it literally flip a coin and go with that or are there some serious glaring differences on quality that I'm missing? I like the looks of both bows as well as the features. The biggest difference that I can see is that the Bosen has drilled and tapped sight holes on the 17" and the Satori does not (in the same length) which I would use to mount a quiver.

28.5" draw.
Short limbs in 40 (should be 42ish on that riser I imagine)
This will be primarily a hunting bow that I may buy lighter limbs for later on for putzing around on this summer.

These are the two risers I'm considering. I know about most of the other stuff out there and none of them have caught my eye. I've also had several others and don't want them back. So suggestions to buy an "XXXXX" riser will be pretty meaningless.

I also don't want to get into the US vs. China debate. Please and thank you.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bosen "Horn" vs. Hoyt "Satori"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »
Have you handled either one? Grip means a lot to me, so does riser mass. Maybe you need to see if you like the “feel” of each to decide!  I just sold a Hoyt Satori, just didn’t care for it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »
I would imagine it might be difficult on TradGang to find people who have had experience with both bows.  I have a 21” Hoyt Satori riser with limbs to make a 64” 40ish pound bow.  The Satori comes with a conversion kit to shoot off the shelf, which is useful if you want to do that.    All of my other bows are traditional wood bows that I shoot off the shelf, but it seemed to make more sense to put an elevated rest on the Satori.  Then I added a Bieter cushion plunger and a short stabilizer..  it shoots like a dream, but it doesn’t qualify for any of the 3D tournaments I shoot in.  It’s not set up as a hunting bow, and I’ve never shot in FITA barebow competitions that it would qualify for, so at the moment it is kind of an ugly duckling.  If I weren’t more accurate with it than any other bow I have, I would probably sell it, but given that I am, I guess I’ll hold on to it for a while and try to figure out what to use it for.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Miikka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:24:20 AM »
How are the limbs marked? If they are AMO standard 25" riser limbs that would give you 48#-50# on your draw. If they are marked for 19" riser they would still give you 42#-44#.
General rule of thumb is if you shorten the riser by 1" you add 1#-2# to draw weight as if you were drawing it longer. Or that is the theory behind that.
You can only miss in two directions, vertically or horizontaly

Offline Bully

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 07:09:42 AM »
Thanks folks.
I know it's a bit of a long shot getting folks that have held/shot both bows but even where Ron mentioned that he had a Satori and sold it, that's helpful. 
As far as grip, I'm really not that picky.  I've found that I can work around most grips.  Mass of both bows is close enough that I'm not overly concerned.  I guess I'm mostly wondering how they stack up after the shot.  Is one louder than the other?  Buzzy/handshock better on one than the other.  Fit/finish.  That kind of stuff. 
Thanks for the answers so far.  I appreciate it. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Absolutely no hand shock that I can detect on my Satori, and noise is comparable with my wood recurves.  Workmanship is top notch, with the exception of the off-the-shelf conversion.  It is cheap plastic, and the mounting screw stripped out when I mounted it.  This isn't the first screw I’ve tightened down or stripped in 50 years of working on various things around the house and hobbies, and I know when to stop tightening when the screw is secure but before it strips.  I was not able to get this tight enough to be comfortable that it would hold before it stripped.  They sent me a replacement, but by the time I got it I had decided to use an elevated rest instead.  They need to make that part out of machined aluminum instead of plastic.  If I had kept shooting off the shelf, I would have gone to a machinist and had him copy the plastic part in machined aluminum for me.  The plastic spacers are fine, as they just sandwich in between the part with the threaded holes and the riser.

It shoots like a dream, but I wouldn't want to hunt with it because of the weight and the coldness of the metal.  I would consider getting a wood ILF riser to hunt with if I didn't already have other wood bows I like to hunt with.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:05:00 AM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
I’ve never shot a Satori, although it looks like a fine setup, I do have a Bosen 17” horn riser and a 17” blade riser, I find both exceptional in all regards , the horn is very adjustable and not heavy at all, the grip fits great, workmanship is top quality as I find with all Bosen products. I got the light green colour. Deal with a fella named Alex from Topfashion.If you contact him he’ll give you a better deal than what’s listed on the big auction.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
I will say my Satori was very quiet, wool puffs on the string. 45# with 575 gr arrow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
I have the same bow as McDave, just in about 53#. I use furnature pads for the side plate, and they work surprisingly well, even in wet weather. They really stay put.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©