3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old bears.... who's with me!!  (Read 11865 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old bears.... who's with me!!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
1972 Victor Viking

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Beauty Roy.  Despite having 5 or so customs. Bear is my go to right now...used to feel bad about leaving customs home. No reason to feel bad when shooting well no matter the bow. Keep these old bears coming. 

I must say. Im pretty bewitched by the tigercat I must say.... Cant believe the model didnt stick around. I suppose it was too similar to the popular grizzly.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
That's gorgeous, Roy! Are you shooting off the shelf or Bear brush rest?
Aim small,miss small

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »
Dave, Bear made a whole slew of bows that didn't get the recognition they deserved; Tigercat, Alaskan, Bearcat, and a bunch of others including that Victor of Roy's.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:24:07 PM by Captain*Kirk »
Aim small,miss small

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
I have a late 50s- early 60s Bear Kodiak Hunter C-handle (I think that's the date, never looked it up). It belonged to my Uncle Roy and when he wasn't able to hunt any longer he gave it to me. He hunted with it for 30 years and I have been hunting with it on and off for another 30 or so. It is certainly not a museum piece but all the wear and tear is from honest use in the field. It still shoots great! You can see it in the far right in a place of honor on the rack.
Keith

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
Wow
Fred Bear

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 07:25:40 PM »
Keith, you're making me look bad with only 7 bows...can I show that pic to my wife and say, "See, hon...this is what MOST guys have..." :bigsmyl:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
My primary hunting bow this fall was a 1956 Kodiak, 59# at my draw. I shoot lefty and righty and actually switched sides one morning when a doe came from a different direction than I expected, but I ended up letting her pass...fawn in tow. Here's a trail cam pic that caught me walking in one morning with the Kodiak.

OK, am I not the only one that sees the huge buck watching Mangonboat walking along in the pic? :knothead:

I also have a 59 Alaskan and a 70's something Grizzly that I took deer with.
Member NCBA

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
Kirk-

You are welcome to use that photo to get yourself in as much trouble as you would like!

Might as well add... "And he says there are more takedowns on a shelf in the closet".

Keith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »
I have javelina tags in NM and AZ in January, and will be using a '71 Kodiak Hunter.  A few months ago I dragged out several bows, including a few newer/pricier ones, and had a shootoff to decide which one to use for my javelina hunts. 
Was impressed at how well the Kodiak shoots for me.  When younger I could not afford a Bear bow, which I considered the holy grail at the time.  They haven't lost their appeal.   
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 01:24:33 AM »
Duncan, good eye!

I’ve got an old #42 Bear Polar. Not sure what year it is or it’s history at all. In fact, I’ve never shot it. It was left to be by my dad, who “inherited” it from his best friend a couple of years before. When I was a kid the three of us all leased a big farm to hunt. It’s where I killed my first deer and learned most everything I know about hunting. Spent the best years of my life there on that plot of ground. Now my dad and his buddy are gone, and the landowner is too.

Oh yeah, back to bows...gotta love those old Bears! Think I’ll pull the Polar out after hunting season and see what it’ll do.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 01:50:43 AM »
Duncan, good eye!

I’ve got an old #42 Bear Polar. Not sure what year it is or it’s history at all. In fact, I’ve never shot it. It was left to be by my dad, who “inherited” it from his best friend a couple of years before. When I was a kid the three of us all leased a big farm to hunt. It’s where I killed my first deer and learned most everything I know about hunting. Spent the best years of my life there on that plot of ground. Now my dad and his buddy are gone, and the landowner is too.

Oh yeah, back to bows...gotta love those old Bears! Think I’ll pull the Polar out after hunting season and see what it’ll do.

Let us know how she does!
Fred Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »
That bow above and here below came stock with the plunger button and a flipper magnetic rest.

I believed they called the plunger a Burger Button back then..

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
There is something Mystical to hunt with a vintage Bear is like sharing your hunt with unknown Bowhunters of the past. Plus they are as good as any customs and they are so smooth and quiet.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
There is something Mystical to hunt with a vintage Bear is like sharing your hunt with unknown Bowhunters of the past. Plus they are as good as any customs and they are so smooth and quiet.

Literally quietest bow I have.
Fred Bear

Offline Garman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 03:12:35 PM »
A year or so ago I bought a bear grizzly in very good condition 50lbs, around 1970 model or so give a few years, at a used outdoor store for $50 bucks. I was just out there yesterday and bought a used bear bearcat 35lbs bow 1971 model for @35 bucks, it was in ok condition, just needs a new clear coat. Not the bear top end bows but both shoot nice and are fun. I just keep my eyes open for more bows my wife can complain about! :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 04:26:40 PM »
I bought that Bear takedown new in 1972:)

She has put a lot of deer on the ground,  her first deer was in 1973......

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 04:27:38 PM »
I bought that Bear takedown new in 1972:)

She has put a lot of deer on the ground...
Absolutely beautiful. How has take down system held up over years?
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©