3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leon Stewart "slammer" reviews  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Leon Stewart "slammer" reviews
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
Wanted to get some of your guys input on Leon's Slammer one piece longbow I have one on the way excited to get it and try it out if you guys have any pictures, kill pics or anything to share please post them what a nice guy to talk to and from what I see guys love them
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leon Stewart "slammer" reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »
Leon is a great guy,  and makes a very nice bow.  Great grip.  Owned a couple, but no kill pics.  Good luck.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
I own a couple slammers.  The design looks pretty simple but Leon spent a lot of time tinkering with it to make a stable and fast shooter.  It is lightweight and points very well.  Beyond performance, the finish on Leon’s bows is great. You won’t be disappointed with Leon’s work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-EVG

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:06:30 PM »
Leon is a Gentleman. He's friendly, honest and when it comes to bows the man knows his stuff.
I've never had a feeling of competition between Leon's bows and my Shrew bows, we respect each others work 

When I go to ETAR I like to spend time at Leon's booth, talking with him is like talking with someone you've known all your life.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 10:56:36 PM »
Never owned one but shot a few at different shoots.  Its a simple looking design but something about his bow design, I think the grip, stands out to me so I can pick them out from a mile away.  The wood combos always look good, the handle wrap is always very well done.  And they shoot as good as they look (based upon maybe 30 shots that I have taken)
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:34:58 AM »
Quietest bow I've shot. Shoots my Centershot's straight and where Im looking. Hit the target with a authority. Pleasure to shoot.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
Thxs for your feedback guys I am hopefully gonna put some arrows through it this weekend looking forward to it ...and yes Ron when you talk to leon,he does make you feel like you have known him your whole life!
NRA Life member

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 07:40:32 AM »
I shot two of them that a friend owned/owns.
The first one stacked terribly.  At 25" it felt like it would break.  Not sure what happened there, but he quickly replaced it with one that is a dream to shoot.
To me that shows his willingness to stand behind his products.  The test of a company is how they respond when things go wrong.  All bows are made by people who make mistakes, using glues and laminations NOT made by them and over which they have little control in the manufacture. 
A bow builder assumes that the lams are ground correctly and that the glues are good, but they never know until they build the bow.  And if the supplier makes an error, the builder has to repair/replace the bow made with these defective materials.

I would not hesitate to buy one of his bows..
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »
 Slammers will always have a special place in my archers heart.  I still judge a lot of bows by how the many Slammers I owned shot.  Really really crisp and mild shooter that is deceptively fast and ridiculously quiet.  Leons workmanship is impeccable and no one laces a leather grip nicer than him.  Ive had him build several and owned many more used and wouldnt hesitate to have him build me another.  Slammer reminds me a lot of my Stickflinger, albeit the Flinger is a bit more radical and just a bit quicker.  Really great bows period.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline RANGER94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »
Timing is EVERYTHING.  I have had the longbow bug for some time.  I finally got off my arse and did some research.  I live in South Jersey not to far from Leon.  I called him on Monday, he told me to come by on Wed ( I had business around his area that day).  He spent well over 2 hours with me answering all of my questions, showing me how to shoot, and providing excellent instruction. (He also just got a new lab puppy to boot).  I left him with a down payment for a new Slammer.  That guy is a true artist, patient as Jobe, and a wealth of knowledge.

I cannot wait to see the results on my new bow!!

Ranger94

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »
Leon is kind of an icon in the trad archery world. Nineworlds review pretty much nailed it.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Tmills1507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »
Leon is a great guy and an excellent Bowyer.  I own a couple of them.  A one piece Slammer and a three piece.  I have shot a lot of bows and quite honestly his bows will hang with almost any other bow out there. The Slammer’s I have shoot where you look and are very stable and quiet.  If you are looking for a good value/performance in a longbow you cannot go wrong with a slammer and Leon stands behind them.
PBS Member
Compton’s Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »
A few years ago Leon built me a Slammer made exclusively from woods harvested in Pennsylvania. I asked for a “workhorse” bow that I wouldn’t mind banging up in the brush.  I received a work of art made of...

Maple:

Yew:

And Osage:

-EVG

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »
Here is it Leon had this bow in stock specs are 64"52@28" around 55# at my draw ...i cant get over how smooth,quiet and no handshock in the bow and shoots a 600 grain arrow with authority I cant put this bow down just a pleasure to shoot
NRA Life member

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
Woods are Bolivian rosewood riser, yew limbcore and curly maple belly with waterfall bubinga back and wild turkey limbtip overlays
NRA Life member

Offline Tmills1507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »
Looks beautiful Jarrod.  Best of luck with it.  Leon is the man.
PBS Member
Compton’s Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Offline Hanktownpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
Anytime I get to write about Leon’s bow, I’m right on it. Everyone says he’s a gentleman and that’s a great word for him. I met him at the Appalachian trad shoot in New Jersey and very quickly made a deal for a new Slammer. I just love that bow. I shoot it all year around and have taken several deer with it. I love tge way it shoots and is a pleasure to look at. I’d be happy to get a few more but this Slammer has made me a one bow guy. You just can’t go wrong with a Slammer.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
Beautiful bow Jayrod. Great wood selection. Congratulations.

-EVG

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »
Very nice! We have some talented Pa. bowyer's.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Fine looking stick! Enjoy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©