3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground blind seating  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Ground blind seating
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »
Have a that has the legs a 60-120-60-120 so can usually get it pretty level.  Got it on clearance at Academy.  Have a boat seat on the spinner.  Not real heavy but a tad bulky.  Works great for a blind.  For natural blind I just put a garbage bag over it when I leave.
 :coffee:       :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
In my more permanent blinds that I leave set-up all season I use a chair like is pictured below. I don't have any problem shifting in the seat to get good shot angles. I have found that it is best to set the chair at an angle facing to the right (for a right handed shooter) so the bow is on the outside of your left leg.

For mobile or temporary set-ups I use a folding chair or stool like these.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »
I just use the fold up tripod seats. They're light and easy to carry, don't take up much space, and they're comfortable. One thing I really like about them as opposed to a regular chair is they are easier to move around in and maneuver if need be. If I need to drop down one one knee, I just slip off to the side. If I need to slide one leg closer to rest my elbow on if I'm gun hunting, it works well for that as well.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
I’m sold on the Millenium seat. It doesn’t feel near its weight when carrying it, it’s adjustable for height on all 3 legs, swivels quietly and easily. Simply the best money I ever spent on a chair.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 05:14:29 PM »
12 hours in an antelope blind will be a good test. I'm leaning toward the millennium also.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
I have stools without backs like the little tripod stool mentioned by Trenton. They are indeed small and light weight! I can manage about two hours on them before my back muscles get so tight I can't pull a bow. I really like them for short sits or when I am in bigger country that I can move along, make a short sit and then cover more ground. This is especially effective for Turkey.

For a long sit in a blind I need a back rest. I am sure it has mostly to do with my "bulk" and where it is located, but that's just the way it is.

I need to get my hands on one of the Millennium chairs. With so many folks here recommending them I don't see how I could go wrong but they sure are spendy. I am seeing them for about $200 (if I am looking at the right chair). That's not too far off from a Waldrop seat and those seem to be what all others are compared to.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
I spent $199.99 for mine about 4 years ago and it’s been great. No noise to date, and Captain Relaxo comfort... All day sits. To each his own, but I’m happy with it and I’m sure if a legit issue came up Millenium would resolve it... When I bring it to a family outdoor gathering everyone wants to sit in this.... :campfire:

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
I will say I have never tried the Waldrop chair.  Everyone who has one raves about it.  Since I already have the Millenium, I don't see myself switching but am curious.  The one thing is I think it would be too low for me with having had both knees replaced. I like my seat like a chair, about 18-20 inches for my comfort. 
The Millenium is expensive but for me it's worth every dime since I spent how much $$ trying out different chairs over the years being cheap.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
I’ve tried the Waldrop & Millenium both and I could honestly see both in the arsenal as they both are awesome and each have their niche... If I had only one which I do, it’s the Millenium...

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
Just watched the Waldrop pac seat videos on website.  That looks like a sweet little system.  Pack frame to carry quarters etc.  Has me thinking of a bunch of great ambush sights.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
Redneck blinds makes a good one .  Number one is its quiet...  spent many all day sits on it.

Bisch

Ground blind seating
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

Any pics Bisch?
I have a Cabelas chair I use a lot - it swivels but I had to cut wood blocks to help level it....it stays in the blind.  I’ve also used milk crates w a boat cushion on top but they don’t have a back rest.
Tim B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here’s a few pics of the chairs I build:

This is what is mounted to the bottom of the chair:

This is the base with the post the chair sits on:

I usually use a padded boat seat that has a back that folds down, like this:

I was in a hurry when I built this one, so I scavenged this seat from another stand I had.

Also, this one does not have adjustable legs. I have built some with adjustable legs too. That is done by using square tubing that fits inside another square tubing. The stop is made by welding up a T bolt and welding a nut to the outer part of the leg near the bottom.  It works really well.

These are super quiet, and turn very freely. Just put a squirt of grease in the tube on the seat in the off season, and you’re good to go for another year!

Bisch

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:41:35 PM by Bisch »

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
Those are nice Bisch!  And a guy could whip up a few at a fraction of the cost!
Thank you for posting!
Tim B

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 02:54:28 PM »
Those are nice, nice being able to weld and create your own solution.  The millennium and waldrop could double as lightweight camp chairs.  The knowledge base on this site never ceases to impress me.
Thanks
Todd

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
Bisch-

Is that a support that runs up the back of the seat from the base?

Man... if you only knew how many times I have nearly tumped out of a johnboat when one of those seats have buckled backwards! Its a great looking set-up for sure though. Not much for the woodrats to chew on either.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Bisch

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Keith, on that plastic boat seat, yes, that is a piece of 1/4” square tubing that goes to the top of the backrest. I did not build that part. That seat came off a commercial stand. I was in a hurry, so just grabbed it and threw it on there. Every other one I have made uses the padded fold down seat in the pic in my post above, and you do not need that support for those seats. They are more comfortable too, because they are padded.

Bisch

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »
Waldrop packseat for me whether in a popup or natural ground blind
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
Daniel, I have had both knees replaced, have a bad back, weigh over 300#, you can not go wrong with the Waldrop. I ordered a second one a year or so ago, just insurance for the future.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 07:01:22 AM »
i have a helinox swivel chair. very comfy, good height to shoot from and very light and compact. it's great for impromptu sits or for packing in a little way.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©