3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who would you like to have the opportunity to hunt with  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who would you like to have the opportunity to hunt with
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
There are at least a dozen trad bowhunting friends that have passed away that I wish I could hunt with again. Man, we sure had some great times.

The only one who you all may have known was Andrew Harper of Wild Things.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
Just like everyone else, another hunt with my Dad, and Grandpa.  As for past people, it would have been great to tag along with Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Ishi comes to mind also. From the present, I would love to be able to spend some time with Ron LaClaire at his Shrew Haven camp.  I would also love to sit around a camp fire with Fred Eichler, Steve Turay, The Wensel brothers.  Someday, when time permits, I would love to share a camp with fellow Tradgangers on one of the many hunts offered through here.  And many more hunts with my usual camp cohorts that I hang around with.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »
Since I've only bow hunted alone for the last 20 years, any like minded, ethical bow hunter would be fine. I'd love for my son to pick up a bow. I don't need a celebrity or pioneer.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 05:42:16 PM »
I was thinking about my Dad who passed in 2018, my uncles and my grandfather who's been gone 25 years, when I brought this back up.  Seems many have family they'd like to hunt with again.
 :archer2:         :campfire:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:56:01 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
Its Fred for me.  There are a number of folks (gone) I would like to see in the woods again including my Dad and my Great Uncle, brother to my Dad's mother.  At my age, I hope I will see them again.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
An eastern woodland Indian. Pre contact. In Tioga or Lycoming county PA. The lived almost entirely on game. I'm not sure if they were Seneca, Susquehannock, Genesse, Mohawk or what tribes. I wonder if the deer still use the same travel paths? I know they took advantage of salt licks. Was his bow practical only? Was it decorated? What wood did he use. How long was his draw? Was his arrow a shoot from 1 year's growth or a pine split?
 Did he care at all about antlers or shoot the closest animal? Did he get a pass thru on elk? Just how big were Pennsylvania elk compared to Rock man elk?
 There is a book by Phillip Tome. The first white man to settle and live there. That books gives some insight into to the wild land and quantity of game at that time. He is hunting with a flintlock and hunting for survival. The mountains were infested with mountain lions, wolves, bobcats, fishers and black bear. The settlers called the panthers "Painters".
Tedd

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
From the present
Clay Hayes
Kirk
Dale

I would hardly consider myself worthy, but it would be an honor to share a hunt with you, Dave!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
I'd give up all the greats for one more hunt with dad.  I can't put to words what his showing me to hunt has meant to my life.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Either of the Freds (Bear or Eichler)
Either of the Wensels (Barry or Gene)

I truly miss hunting with a few of the buddies I have moved away from... Matt and Blake are sorely missed in my everyday life.

My Little Brother... gone but never forgotten.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2019, 09:13:53 PM »
Gonna go with my 13 year old nephew Cody that was killed in a motorcycle accident training on his dirt bike which he rode so well but he loved the outdoors and hunting...besides him mike mitten mike is the Real deal!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
Lots of good stories and a good list of family and archery legends, it would make one heck of a hunt but the game would not have a chance with all these great hunters in one place.

For me it would be Jay Massey. I had spent a cold winter in Alaska isolated with no electricity reading by propane lantern and a diesel lamp. I had a handful of archery books. In one of them I figured out Jay Massey was down in Matanuska Valley closer to Anchorage. I was up the Yukon river in the Circle Mining District which is a hundred miles over the mountains east of Fairbanks, the gates of the Yukon Charley. I was out of touch with civilization and reality too. I started making plans to go and meet Jay when I came out in spring, I had mail every few weeks and remember sending letters to an Alaskan Bowhunting Club in Anchorage and found out Jay had passed away a couple years before I had ever read about him. Thats one of the biggest disappointments of my life, A man I was alone with in Alaska, I was cold then warmed next to a fire in my old camp with a book, who became my friend through his writing, that I would never meet because he was already gone to the next hunting camp.

By that time I had already made it to Berrian Springs to the Sportsmans Club, been kicked out of Canada on my way to Isle De Antipasti to hunt deer in August, been a hunting guide, and shooting a longbow since I was 6. I had hung out with Jerry Hill at gun shows where he used sell bows, drank lots of beers with TK and Mike, old friends,  as I made my way from fishing in Key West to my hunting grounds in Arkansas every year.

To this day Jay Massey is an inspiration to me, still gets me excited about Archery, If I didn't know better, I would swear he was right there with me on those long cold nights but it was just his words in a book I read next to a fire waiting for breakup that winter in Alaska, in some ways he is here in this hundred year old pine floored cabin tonight, with a warm fire, a good dog, and ice nipping at the door............ I never met Jay, but he is a good friend.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 10:33:11 PM »
Paul Schafer
Roger Rothhaar
Bart Schleyer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
From the present
Clay Hayes
Kirk
Dale

I would hardly consider myself worthy, but it would be an honor to share a hunt with you, Dave!

Honor would be all mine sir. It would be great fun. I imagine that in the next couple seasons I'll be making some trips up north to do some hunting. Even a stumping session would be worth the trip. 
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:34 AM »
My old hunting party, including my dad. They're all gone now. I'm the last man standing, but hunting was much more fun when they were here. I keep the tradition going with my son. But, damn, I miss those guys.

Offline Bchunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
The caveman with Raquel Welch in 10,000 bc movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
All my grandchildren, my son, daughter, and son-in-law. 

I have five GC. I've hunted with 2 of them so far. Three are moving to my property next summer. I'll have all 5 plus my son and daughter to hunt with on the farm.

If not by myself or with family, I'm not going.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »
My pal Donnie that passed away this year.

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
I would give anything to share one more deer hunt with my dad.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
Oh man,....I've had the opportunity to hunt with so many I can't count, and I still have so many I'd like to hunt with I can't count!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 05:33:44 PM »
Without a question......Monte Browning
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27