3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anybody use the Dynamic spine calculator to pick arrow  (Read 1732 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
anybody use the Dynamic spine calculator to pick arrow
« on: December 17, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »
Does anybody actually use this? Seems way off when I used it, unless I'm doing something wrong

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anybody use the Dynamic spine calculator to pick arrow
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »
maybe I could just use some help, obviously I'm not doing something right

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:48:19 PM »
No I don't trust it. I've heard that it can at least get you close, but that has never been the case for me.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
Never.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
It's right on the money for me.
Joe

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
I tried it. Didn't really help any.
Like Stu Miller's calculator-it's overrated.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Miikka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »
Works like a charm to get to the right ball park. I usually get close enough to tune with braceheight and maybe shelf pad. It's very rare that I have to start playing with arrow lenght or point weight. Just my 2 cents.
You can only miss in two directions, vertically or horizontaly

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 07:03:58 PM »
well, I must be completely messed up, After filling in the info...although the one I used didn't have a Blacktail so I used a Bod Lee takedown....it showed I needed to go up a whole arrow spine and lose about 125 gr of point weight from what I tuned it at. I am at a loss

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 09:40:58 PM »
For my Blacktail of 48 lbs @28” and 28” draw with 29 inch arrows and 245 grains of point/insert it had me using an Easton Axis Traditional 340 shaft.  A 500 size shaft and same point/insert combination shoots bullet hole paper tune.  Get a test shaft kit and keep it around to make your selections based on ‘real world’ results, which is your own style and form and bow setup
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
I use the 3R version to get an idea what to start with. Every once in awhile I hit the 2 values dead on. I have also been known to “adjust” the specs to my will, like getting 2514 shafts to fly out of a 50# bow. If you’re bow isn’t on the list enter the generic version. I make up bows using ILF limbs and various risers.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »
Has worked great for me for years on a multitude of bows and has been an excellent tool in changing arrow specs.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »
Yes, but.....
I use the updated version.  Not the one on 3Rivers.  The one I use allows input for centershot, string strand count and material, etc.
I still fudge it a bit as my Border shoots pretty far above recommended spine.  By experience, I have learned that I have to apply a factor of 1.2 to the results.  So if the calculator indicates a recommended spine deflection of 71# (Average) I know that I actually need something of 80+#

Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 07:13:49 PM »
I’ve used Stu calculator many times and has worked for me. I’ve even checked it by bare shaft shooting/trimming and it has been spot on.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 08:08:49 AM »
Find it a great tool.  Learned a lot working it often for fun by trying different weight amounts up front, lengths, and draw weights among my rack of bows etc.  Glad I practiced with it as I have used it enough now to be comfortable with it as a tool to match my bows well and it has been close enough to help me choose options for my arrows.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
I've used both and they've been very close for me.  I have found (over the years) that most people that have real trouble tuning using the calculation methods typically are overestimating their actual draw length. 

This could be the case here to since you said the calculator is recommending a much stiffer arrow that what is actually working.  To have it work for you - you have to know your actual draw length, and the side plate thickness / center-shot of your bow. 

I'm not saying you don't know your draw length, but rather offering some potential reasons.  I have found that most people overestimate their draw length until actually checked. 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »
After over 50 years of doing this I really don't see the point.  If it seems to help you, then by all means.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »
Two suggestions.

First, as others have stated, confirm your inputs with actual measurements.  Folks I've helped in the past have put in the wrong amount of center shot, thickness of the strike plate, and actual draw length.  The results they get don't look like anything they see when they shoot.  If the bow you are using is listed in the menu, then the centershot measurement is made for you.  You will still need accurate input for the strike plate thickness.

If your input data is correct, then the second area is use of the 'personal form factor'.  I encourage folks who have a current arrow setup that flies well, to put in all the measurements associated with that setup.  Run the calculator.  If the spine measurements are off by more than a couple of pounds, go to the personal form factor at the bottom of the input page.  It will accept positive and negative values.  So pick one and see if the spine measurements get closer together or further apart.  Keep inputting slightly different values until the spine measurements get within a couple of pounds.  Whatever 'personal form factor' you used that gets you close is the PFF you should use for all other bow/arrow combinations.  The PFF is simply a way to customize the model to your way of shooting. If a PFF of '0' is used you are relying on the 'average' values used in the model.  If you are not 'average', you will likely have to use a PFF determined by trial and error. 

For example, if you have a 'perfect' release with your current setup that you know flies well, and use a PFF of zero, the results will likely show an arrow that is under spined.  If you pluck the string like a you're playing a guitar, the PFF of zero will likely show over spined using the input from your current setup.

The PFF is a way you can customize the model to reflect how you shoot.  Don't expect it to match anyone else but you.  It's a great tool if used properly.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 12:43:37 PM »
I used Stu's a number of years ago and found that it worked well for me based on my form factor.  I saved all my "configurations" so that I had a base to work with.  One must remember the "garbage in-garbage out" concept.  If your measurements are good then I think it will yield some good information that you need to apply to testing.

Just my thoughts
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:52:43 PM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©