3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon vs fiberglass  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Tagsoup

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon vs fiberglass
« on: December 18, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
What is the option of carbon vs fiberglass limbs? FPS is not a main concern, I’m more concerned about shootability/forgiveness and quietness. If carbon is superior in those areas then I will have to look into it more. But I prefer clear glass with nice wood from a visual standpoint.
I listed this in the popwow because I’m looking at getting another bow, not making one. If this should be in the bowyers forum I apologize.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon vs fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Welcome to TradGang!  This is the right place to post your question, unless you expect to make the bow yourself.

Carbon is used in many top of line bows to enhance performance, and it is supposed to also increase torsional stability, which is resistance to limb twisting.  I'm sure they mean temporary limb twisting while shooting the bow, but if it also helps with the permanent limb twists that recurve bows are prone to, then I’m all for it.

As a practical matter, I haven't noticed much difference, and have read posts from other people who have had the same experience.  I know of two well known bowyers who offered bows with carbon who quit doing that.  I'm not sure if it was lack of demand or other reasons.  I don't plan to buy anymore carbon bows, unless one comes along that really catches my attention.

There are several well known bowyers that specialize in carbon limbs, and probably have no intention to change.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Interesting question,  Carbon is by far a superior component for building limbs.  However, you can't just take your glass bow press and make a better bow with carbon.  Unidirectional carbon will add performance but if exposed is not very resistant to dents and dings and is prone to splintering.  Unidirectional under a thin layer of glass is a great combo (that's what we do).  The high bred carbons like our crazy johns carbon, not only add performance but greatly enhance both vertical and torsional stability. (resistance to twist including permanent twist).

The sacrifice is not being able to do the pretty wood under clear glass.

Here is a link to a paper John did that has a lot of info:

http://www.dryadbows.com/Defining%20Bow%20Performance%20Dryad.pdf

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tagsoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I never considered carbon until I was looking into one of the Bowyers who will be at the traditional archery expo in Kalamazoo, MI next month. According to his website he prefers carbon. Want as much knowledge on each Bowyer there since I plan on dropping a deposit on a bow while there.
And thanks for the welcome. This is my first post here. Been dabbling in traditional for awhile but this Year i sold my compound and went straight trad. Hence the name tagsoup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©