Author Topic: Bingham ski kits  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
Bingham ski kits
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
Anyone else remember the Bingham x/c ski kits? I'm looking for a set of drawings and books. If you have a lead please let me know. Thanks, Kevin

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
Re: Bingham ski kits
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
Can't help you with Bingham's, but there are lots of sites and info on building skis. Ski builders comes to mind and 333 or Community skis has some interesting videos.

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
Thanks for the info and response. Most on line ski site are building alpine gear. The Bingham kit was specifically for cross country equipment. Much of the process is similar to building a bow. The kits were distributed in the 80s. I can figure it out and was hoping to at least be put on a path to some moderate success.

I contacted Bingham and they have no info on the old offerings. My hope is someone on a trad forum remembers these or has a set of press drawings stashed in a box under a few inches of dust up on some almost forgotten corner of the shop.

I cleaned up my work space the other day and found all sorts of plans and whatnot so there is a ray of hope some pack-rat dreamer like myself has a set or an idea of where to get them. Internet searches turn up nothing.

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Your right, they are all alpine gear. I guess I was thinking one could adapt materials and techniques.
You will probably have to reinvent the XC ski anyways.

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 07:10:47 AM »
Adapting the technique and materials is expected. I was hoping the kit might get me closer in terms of flex and usability. I have deconstructed a few pair of wood core skis and will take apart a few more when I find them. The cores are not solid in the kick zone camber, essentially the riser of a bow except they need to flex in order to set the kick wax onto the snow and pop back up to release it. They are vertically laminated with 1/16" veneers set about 1/16" apart. The front and rear of the ski is laminated just like a bow with a tapered veneer of wood on top of the camber and another beneath. There is also a layer of glass as a topsheet and a plastic P-TEX, sintered UHMWP (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) base to absorb the glide wax and provide a better sliding surface for the snow.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
i will be watching this, as its something i have been very keen on and done a pile of searching and research on.

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
Sounds like you are dialed in. You don't need no stinking' kit!
I've only made skis for AT, a little simpler that what you have planed.

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
I'll keep you all posted on what I find either about the Bingham kit or just jumping in and making a pair of skis. Thanks for the replies and encouragement

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »
I've long appreciated the similarities between xc skis and bows, being both a skier and archer. Only "plans" I remember seeing was an old article a few decades ago showing an old timer making skis out of a piece of solid ash. Always intrigued me. Self bows of the ski world.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22:26 AM »
Have you contacted Bingham yet? The times I need their help a phone call was all I needed to do. They were more than helpful.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Brooker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »
They were the first call. Nobody there has even a recollection of the kits being available. Makes me wonder if I'm imagining them too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©