3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: O Captain my Captain  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
O Captain my Captain
« on: December 23, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
I would like to tell you a little about me, stick with me (pun intended) there is a point to the story. I am a first generation bow hunter. Let me rephrase. I am a first generation hunter. My dad and brothers are not hunters or even what anyone would consider outdoorsmen. I'm sure they love nature in their own way... how then did I get a bug for the outdoors, how did I get drawn (again pun intended) in to trad archery?  I'm not sure.... all I know is that I'm different from the rest. Most of you all know me as the guy with the cute young kids that shoot.  I am that, I have four (one is still in diapers) but her time is coming i can feel it as sure as the winter chill and the smell of petrichor (smell of the earth after a fresh rain).

I am not a rich man... four kids on a law enforcement salary... but I am rich in other ways. I am rich in the lives of my family that I love. I am richer for the friendships I have made. And that is the point of this post. Two guys in my life have gone out of their way to show this young buck the way of trad archery. Their names are Kirk and Dale and their friendship (though online) means more to me than they know. They have spent countless and thankless hours in the background of private messages and text messages. Solving issues and just making small talk by a virtual fire and for that I am eternally grateful for their friendship and guidance.

A month or so back Kirk found out that I have never read an issue of trad bow hunter magazine.  I've always wanted to subscribe but other things have taken priority as of late. Anyway when kirk found this out he had a year subscription sent to my house and the first issue just arrived!

Kirk, thank you for investing in me. Thank you for your thankless job of guiding this young hunter in the old ways. I only hope that I can continue this on and pass the knowledge and generosity you have shown and give to as many as will listen.

Thank you my friend.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline The-Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: O Captain my Captain
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
Good stuff Petrichor!!! Stuff like this makes me happy to be part of this community, bow hunters that helped me along went all out for me and then some!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
It's been a pleasure my friend.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
It's been a pleasure my friend.
Pleasures been all mine.
Fred Bear

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:17:14 PM »
Dave, my dad taught me to hunt pheasants and a rabbit here and there with a shotgun, but never anything larger, and never with a bow...although he did give me my first bow (which I still have, and still shoot on occasion!), a Pearson glass bow. I've posted on that before so I won't rehash it now. But if it weren't for some friendly folks who got me started gun hunting for deer well after dad had passed, I probably would not have become a hunter. And if it weren't for helpful, caring folks at the local archery shop, I probably wouldn't have become a bow hunter. People on this and other trad hunter forums endured my stupid newbie questions when I finally made the switch to trad and encouraged me to just get out there and do it. Guys like Mike Mecredy have led the way with their generosity on the youth Z-giveaways and I entered my granddaughter in March of 18 and she won a beautiful Maddog Pup...stumping up north last summer with my granddaughter, son, and his fiance was the highlight of the trip and bonded us in ways I can't begin to explain...due to Mike's generosity! I see how you involve your kids at such a young age and are passing the torch through your own sacrifices; how can I not want to foster that and help pass it on? All of us here will be gone someday...there is logically no reason trad archery should have survived the techie boom and not gone off to die somewhere, yet for souls like us, it refuses to tuck tail and run. And if we can help keep the flame alight with a simple act of kindness, then we'd be fools not to.
I truly hope you enjoy the magazine and don't forget to pass it on to your hunting buddies! :thumbsup:
Aim small,miss small

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
Awesome post, Petrichor and a kind gesture by the Captain. Makes me smile. :) Jawge

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:57:10 PM »
Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Dale has shown me the same generosity and willingness to help, teach and share his experience. Truly an outstanding individual!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »
Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Dale has shown me the same generosity and willingness to help, teach and share his experience. Truly an outstanding individual!

Exactly how I feel.  Yall are birds of a feather.
Fred Bear

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 11:18:07 PM »
Everybody needs somebody to help them out to get them started and keep them encouraged starting off! After all, the most veteran among us once pulled a bow back for the first time. Glad to hear these fellas haven’t forgotten that along the way.

Very cool post!
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 11:30:53 PM »
The magazine is amazing. The article "twenty feet closer to god" reads like an article after my own heart. So eloquent, and perfectly stated..... amazing.
Fred Bear

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »
The magazine is amazing. The article "twenty feet closer to god" reads like an article after my own heart. So eloquent, and perfectly stated..... amazing.
I'd love to agree with you...but I didn't get mine yet! LOL :biglaugh:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »
I'd love to agree with you...but I didn't get mine yet! LOL :biglaugh:
Haha. Well when you read it you will see eventually.....
Fred Bear

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
Petrichor
Your post made my day.  Kudos to Kirk and Dale     :clapper:   The Gang is numero uno.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »
 :clapper: Certainly two good fellers!  :clapper:
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 05:43:34 PM »
There are many on this site who would not have become successful trad hunters without the same generosity that you have described here. It is great to hear how helpful Kirk and Dale have been, but it is not surprising. So many Trad Gangers have helped so many new guys settle in to the sport. It is good that you highlight their helpfulness, as it will doubtlessly encourage the rest of us to help new guys when the opportunity arises.
Sam

Offline Patknight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »
Agreed,,,, this a good site with solid men,per example of this thread,,,godspeed gents

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
My peripatetic issue of TBM finally showed up, and Dave, you were absolutely spot-on in your review of that article! Very well-written, and transmits the emotions and thoughts of the author in a very real way. I'm glad to see TBM Magazine has become a TG sponsor. If you are not currently a subscriber, I highly recommend it, as this is one of the few written publications that focuses directly on our chosen sport and passion, rather than just offering a token article or advertisement. Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Aim small,miss small

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »
This is a good place.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 04:15:04 PM »
My peripatetic issue of TBM finally showed up, and Dave, you were absolutely spot-on in your review of that article! Very well-written, and transmits the emotions and thoughts of the author in a very real way. I'm glad to see TBM Magazine has become a TG sponsor. If you are not currently a subscriber, I highly recommend it, as this is one of the few written publications that focuses directly on our chosen sport and passion, rather than just offering a token article or advertisement. Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Man I have reread the issue several times. Now I have some backlog tbm to read. Looks like I know what I'm doing tonight.
Fred Bear

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 08:42:04 PM »
Don't overlook the website either. Lots of great articles, links, how-to's and campfire stories as well.
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©