3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladder stand recommendation ?  (Read 1830 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ladder stand recommendation ?
« on: December 24, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
For those of you that use a one person ladder stand which would you recommend?
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Ladder stand recommendation ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 04:32:34 PM »
I don't believe they're made any longer, but if you can find a used one, I'd recommend a Leverage telescoping ladder stand.  It's basically a hang on  stand attached to a telescoping ladder.  Very sturdy and quiet, and no bars to hem in your knees or impede your bow limbs. 

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
Orion, I’ve been trying to find one of them for several years with no luck.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
Like you, I’ve never really found what I wanted.  I’ve been buying cheap ladderstands at the end of the year and then modifying them by taking the tiny foot platform and attaching in on right side of seat for a shelf for my bag.  Then I take a bigger platform from a old lock on stand and attach it to stand on, and tend to drop it lower than the original foot stand platform was because I’m tall.  I can then stand and turn around if needed in comfort.
Tim B

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
Not a great pic but this one was made w an old loggy climber.....
Tim B

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
Quite honestly, I seek out what's on sale. If it feels sturdy, I'm o.k. with it. I mostly care about the seat being big enough to sit well.
Sam

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
Their use to be a post, I'm sure if you search you can find it. The Wensel's recommended one from Dicks that was very reasonable. Can't remember the name though. The problem I have with ladder stands is they are so dang hard to put up and move that most people leave them out year around. The light weight metal and being strapped to a tree year around scares me to death. Nothing lasts if left out in the weather very long.

With all that said I can't imagine that rapid rails and a hang on tree stand isn't more versatile. Easier to hand, easier to move and easier to take down at the end of the season.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 06:26:18 AM »
I buy inexpensive ladder stands for use on the family farm.  The spots there are ‘permanent’ pinch points.  I leave the stands in place and loosen straps at end of season.  Since I don’t like the noise and side rails that accompany the ladder stands I only use them to climb up to one of my regular hang on stands.  Nothing beats getting in and out of a tree better than a ladder in my opinion and it’s easy to hang a hang-on stand once it’s in place.  The other great thing about a ladder stand is it takes the bends out of a crooked tree(which are difficult at best to attach climbing sticks to).  Obviously ladders work best in more permanent locations on private property and as I said in beginning I use them only for getting in and out of my regular Lone Wolf stand.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 08:03:16 AM »
I have a Big Game stand and like it. Left off the rifle rail and arm rests. Nice flip up seat with a back.
Similar to the Striker LT model. If I keep it at 12' it's easy to put up alone.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
2nd the Big Game I have 3 of them. Very comfortable but be sure to practice out of it before a serious hunting trip. Especially if you shoot off of the side and leave the short seat rail on it.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Whatever ladder stand you buy, make sure it has a foot platform that extends to the tree and the seat folds up. Also I prefer 1 1/2 man stands (24"wide) over single (18"wide) or 2 man (42" wide) stands. Plenty of room to stand or move around and shoot a long bow.

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
I bought a couple of Family Traditions ladder stands 2 years ago and have been really pleased with them.  I was new to stands of any kind cause I previously only hunted public from the ground.  So I was a bit of a "stand chicken".  I was looking for the sturdiest American made stand I could find.  They are not cheap but they were worth it to me.  If that sounds like you it might be worth a gander.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
There is nothing like a Millennium L110, all day comfort, rock solid, the only downside is it takes two men and a boy to put one up and it is pricy.

I used my 4 wheeler to pull mine up and it didn't go well doing it by myself, I had a little slope in the land and I kept missing the tree. I had hernia surgery with a 10# limit and couldn't wrestle it into place by myself. I finally got it with a side cable hooked to a come-along
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:02:11 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
Lol.  Ya--forgot to mention that.  Mine too--2 men and a strong boy.  I've done it alone, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I'm gonna leave mine out this year.  I figure if I hit it with some paint and replace the straps when needed it should still out live me.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 11:03:37 PM »
The Rivers Edge Bowman is my current favorite.  It has a very comfy seat that lifts up to allow full platform use and allows me to get back against the tree  when standing.  I leave the armrests off.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
I’m looking at 3 stands. The Rivers Edge Lockdown Pro Bow, the Rivers Edge Bowman and the Guide Gear ultra comfort archers stand.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Fred:

Any particular reason for going to a Ladder Stand?  I had a bunch of them and they all seem to squeak at the inappropriate time.  If you want to hunt higher, why not go with a hang-on?  I have the Millenium, which is very light and easy to hang, plus I have the Family Traditions, which is very sturdy, roomy, comfy and very safe.

However, this year I bought a Millenium Hang-On Tree Seat for hunting from the ground and love it.  You can move quickly and quietly.  I was hunting from mine on Sunday afternoon and had a nice (but not legal) 7 pointer at less than 10 yds.  He never saw me or knew I was there in my leafy suit.  Just a thought.

Doug
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Bisch

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
I didn’t read all the responses, and I can’t recommend a particular brand, but IMHO, you should only get a ladder stand that does not have any arm rails. All the arm rails do Is get in the way when you are getting ready for a shot!!!!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©