3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Visual aquity puzzle  (Read 1362 times)

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Visual aquity puzzle
« on: December 24, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
OK, I have performed all the "which eye is dominant" exercises, and have no trouble believing I am right eye dominant, however,  when shooting with both eyes focused on the target I almost always shoot left.  As much as 10 inches at 20 yards.  If I close my left eye and shoot just with my right, the arrows pull right back to center.

What the heck is causing this?? :banghead:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Visual aquity puzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »
I have that problem if I have my face turned too much towards the target. As long as I keep my face turned slightly towards the arrow and look more out of the corner of my eye it fixes it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Are you using the arrow point to aim?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:47:54 PM »
I had the exact same experience 40 years ago.  In my case i am very much left eye dominant.  If your arrows were going far to the left when shooting right handed, as you figured out, your left eye was taking over.  Ive shot left handed since.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
If the riser at the top of the sight window, or even the string, blocks the view of your right eye the left eye will take over.....that would cause a left shot. So, you might want to check for the.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
You didn't just get new glasses did you?

I shot left with my new frames. I had to get new lens with my old frames I was used to.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 12:49:54 AM »
I shoot both hands and am one of the rare ones without a dominant eye. I have had this issue with both hands and simply increased cant of bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 01:29:51 AM »
I'm right eye dominant but not overly strong dominance.  I've had similar issues.  What I found was that if i hold my head pretty much straight up and down I'll hit left.  If I cant my head on an angle equal to the cant of my bow, it goes away. 

Basically, what is happening is with my head straight up and down, the arrow is about directly under my right eye.  Only problem is, when looking towards the target, I'm getting input from both eyes and its as if I'm seeing from a point between my eyes if that makes sense.  Basically, both eyes are providing input.  When I tilt my head to match the bow tilt (probably a good 20-30 degrees) the arrow nock is closer to being between my eyes than under my right eye and everything works.

No need though to concern yourself with the details, just try tilting your head and see what happens.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
My wife had had her eye dominance switch at full draw, actually kind of wavered back and forth she said. This was when she very first started shooting, it eventually cleared up as she shot more.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
I don't know how old you are, but I have noticed that as I get older, less and less is dominant including my right eye.  :-)

I used to shoot everything - rifles w/scope, shotguns, compound bow with sights (many years ago) with both eyes open.  When I started with trad same thing.   All was good as my right eye evidently was extremely dominant.

The last several years, I now have to squint my left eye when shooting everything including trad.   I still struggle to remember to do it, but when I force myself, I shoot much better on windage.   

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
Yeah, I have passed the 70 mark and this issue has gotten more pronounced as I've gotten older.  Guess I just need to get younger again....  :pray:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©