3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPDATE PG. 3 Eye glass wearers/bifocal/single script lens question  (Read 3205 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have worn contacts for years however they are a pain sometimes to deal with.  I am wondering about going to a pair of eyeglasses for hunting only. My every day glasses are transition lens because they are bifocals.  They also have a larger lens and even with a 58 inch recurve they bump the string because they stick out below the eye and are larger than my old glasses which are smaller but still transitions, however the transition points are closer together and require tilting head to find sweat spot. I’m wondering if anyone wears a bifocal normally and hunts with lens in a single prescription configuration??  I can’t see far away Without correction so I am thinking of having these eyeglasses only correct my distance vision and forgo the close-up which I don’t need for hunting. Anyone else in this situation???  If so how did you solve? Is there a brand of frames that you recommend, and did you have a problem with fogging up glasses if they are tight fitting to the face like a goggle ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:39:56 PM by Ray Lyon »
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye glass wearers/bifocal/single script lens question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
I have always hunted with bifocals.A single distance lens would be great I am sure.

Heres what I got that you might think about.

I wear Liberty sports/athletic glasses that are bifocal.I highly recommend these frames and glasses for hunting,fishing,biking,snowmobiling,sking  and all sporting activities.

Their a wrap around frame that's very sporty and nice looking.Thier extremely strong.I have the transition lens so their great indoors or outdoors in any condition.I got scratch proof coating.Thier glare resistant.They have a strap that's easily adjustable and nose padd.Thier not too heavy.The wrap around frame is good for vision overall and peripheral vision is good.The part for close up vision is very small on the inside corner of the frame.So it does not get in the  way really of my distance vision at all.I never notice it.Unless I need it.

I would recommend this style of frame with these features.I have had these glasses for years and basically wear them all the time.No problems at all.Very durable!!!very comfortable.

Whether you decide on the bifocal or not is your choice.The bifocal works for me perfectly and is more versatile overall.The distance only lens would be great as well I am sure.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:04:31 PM »
I wear glasses but definitely not when shooting the bow. I have had the string hit them several times, and it SMARTS! Fortunately my vision is still good enough that I can shoot without glasses.
Sam

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
Eric, great comments.  I have my annual eye exam in a week and I am trying to get all the ‘field advice’ to speak with my eye doctor with when I’m in for my check up.  Their office does handle the Liberty line of glasses so that’s good information.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I have both. I Haven’t figured out how to shoot with the bifocals. They drive me crazy to wear them anyway. I shoot/hunt in single vision lenses. I have never had an issue with the glasses getting in the way but I’ve worn glasses for 40 years or so and have always been used to them. I do typically wear smaller frame.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 06:26:10 PM »
59 yrs old here.  Technically need transitions. Hated them. Went w single script for hunting.  Many options even less than $50 on internet.  I carry fold up readers just in case. They fold up 4 ways- so they are the size of a small stack of silver dollars. Lift glasses or look under bottom when blood trailing. Works for now
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
Ray, get a pair of larger rimless frames then the edges of the frame won't interfere with your site picture, Also get bi-focal not progressive so you don't get distortion in your side vision. Get the anti- reflective  coating, helps with scratching. I don't have to wear glasses for hunting any longer, cataract surgery, amazing. good luck. Dan

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
Ray set the bi-focal as low on the lens that you feel comfortable with.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »
I've been wearing glasses for a long time and haven't had any problem with distortion or contact with the string.  My glasses are rimless and relatively small progressive lenses.  Yes, if you try to look sideways out of them, there will be some distortion.  I consider that a plus.  If I get distortion, it tells me I'm looking across the arrow rather than over/down it, and I reposition my head more toward the target as a result, getting a clear picture and eliminating left right misses (except for when I pluck  :cheesy:)

One disadvantage, I can't wear a face mask over my nose, or even over my mouth, without fogging the glasses in cold weather.  Otherwise, fogging isn't a problem.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
I have shot with bifocal glasses in large plastic frames and wire frame as well with no negatives.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
I wore glasses from age 11 until I was 58. I shot bow, rifle, shotgun and pistol wearing them. As my eyes aged I needed bifocals so I got a pair. First I darned near fell down the stairs then my arrows went every which way. I went back and got a pair for distance only. I got the “grandpa” wire frames. I was back on target, actually shot better.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 11:48:07 PM »
I have worn glasses since 2002 (I am 72). They were no-line bifocal in the smaller lense size.  I shoot 3 under and gun barrel the arrow.  Never had any trouble except for occasional fogging when wearing a face mask but found a way to get around that.  I also shot without the glasses some and it worked ok.  I did have a pair of large lense rimless glasses made with the bifocal placed very low in the lense and the focal area enlarged and they worked fine for me.

I have had cataract surgery in the last two months and dont need glasses except for very fine reading so I guess I am good to go.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Bisch

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 12:38:11 AM »
I just started wearing glasses full time in August. My first pair was single prescription with no bifocal. It drove me nuts having to switch between those and the readers every time I looked at something close or far away. I went back and got a 2nd pair with bifocals, and had them put the bifocal part as low as possible. I like that so much, I took my first pair back and had the bifocal added to them!!!!! And the bifocal part being real low does not get in the way of my shooting a bow at all!

Bisch

PS-Mine are the old fashioned lined bifocals

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
You might think you only need a single script for hunting, until something goes wrong with your equipment on stand that needs a close-up set of eyeballs on the job. I hunt with my everyday glasses (Varilux blended bifocal lenses) Took a while to adjust to them but would not go back to  a single script lens.
Aim small,miss small

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »
Very high humidity in Florida pretty much year round. I use an anti fog treatment on my glasses regularly.
Reminds me...they're do for a re-treatment.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
Have worn glasses since I was a kid in 4th grade.   Have no issues with them at all, and do wear bifocals now.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
Ok I don't shoot with my glasses on I too was having trouble with my bifocal I hated them but then my next pair I asked if they could put the reader part of my glasses below the centerline of my lenses this helped out a lot. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »
Hi Ray

I have been hunting with tri-vocals for a few years.  You can adapt to most anything if you really try.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »
Eye doctor here, you’ll not find anything that performs like contacts will.  Fogging, sliding, bifocal out of position, string catching the edge and throwing them 50yds away, lack of peripheral vision...just a myriad of disaster waiting to happen.

That said, there are good bifocal contact lenses out there that might be a good thing to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
I have worn glasses for several years now, having to go to bi-focal within the last 4-5 years, I have progressive lenses.  My issue is seeing up close.  The last couple years I have been playing around with wearing them when I shoot, as the nock is a bit fuzzy when I'm putting it on the string.  Depending on the bow I'm shooting I shoot either shoot split or three under and have no trouble with my frames hitting the string, I have medium sized framed glasses.  I shoot ok with them on, but haven't yet dedicated myself to wearing them while hunting, I use binoculars a lot so it's a pain wearing them for hunting.  I don't seem to have a problem with the progressive when shooting at targets, my problem is with my nose piece as I look at the target, but turning my head a bit takes care of that.  Good luck.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©