3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPDATE PG. 3 Eye glass wearers/bifocal/single script lens question  (Read 3207 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye glass wearers/bifocal/single script lens question
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »
Eye doctor here, you’ll not find anything that performs like contacts will.  Fogging, sliding, bifocal out of position, string catching the edge and throwing them 50yds away, lack of peripheral vision...just a myriad of disaster waiting to happen.

That said, there are good bifocal contact lenses out there that might be a good thing to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we have a professional on board I’ll expand my problem.  I’m right eye dominant.  With glasses on, the best I can correct my vision is 20/50 (L/R).  The reason is that I have keratoconus.  Essentially my right cornea has mountain ranges which distorts my vision.  With hard lenses I can see 15/25, but I struggle with them being in for more than 3 to 4 hours.  I’ve been using a newer style lense that has a hard lense encapsulated in a soft lense for my right eye.  It doesn’t correct my vision as well and I’ve struggled with comfort (particles getting under them and tearing the edges of the lenses getting them out). With my left eye I can wear a simple disposable soft lense with no problems and perfect vision. The hard curve of the hard lense of a contact creates a smooth, undistorted surface to my right eye which allows me to see 15/25.

Medical description:
Because eyeglasses and soft contact lenses often cannot provide adequate visual acuity in cases of keratoconus, gas permeable contact lenses usually are the preferred treatment.

Back to my original question (and I will discuss all of this including any contact lense improvements which may have happened in the last year).  I can shoot ‘accurately’ even with my distorted right eye in glasses.  It’s not as good at longer distances as it is with my contacts but I can shoot to 20 yards well with glasses even though I bump my current ones with the string.  I’m thinking the ease and comfort of glasses will be nicer that dealing with contacts for my right eye (wouldn’t even be discussing if I had two left eyes). 

So there’s my full dilemma.

Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Here’s the problem.  Keratoconus is just difficult.  Strictly speaking, you don’t just need a rigid lens, you need a speciality rigid like a Rose-k (a design that’s old as dirt) or scleral lens that are steep enough that it actually vaults the top of the cone.

Hybrid lenses are way more comfortable, but as you’ve seen, the soft skirts are garbage.

If they’re uncomfortable, it’s most likely because the there’s too much bearing (the lens is putting pressure on the top of the cone).  A good scleral lens is your best bet

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
👌

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »
I've had glasses since about 10 (71 now) and bifocals for more than 20 yrs and shot fine with them, however I do have 2 pr 1 transition and 1 normal. I hunt with the normal because they give me clearer, better vision at first and last light and when there's snow on the ground everything is redder in color with transition lenses. I tried squirrel hunting in the winter and couldn't pick out squirrels lying tight to the limbs because of the color. Every one blended in to the trees.

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »
I went away from glasses three years ago, had Lasic done specifically for an Elk hunt. Shot my best 3D score at that time, four days after surgery. Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 02:25:58 PM »
Surgery is not an option because of the Disease, however the doctor who specializes in it says my case is not so bad that I need a corneal transplant.  So it’s a matter of finding the best correction that’s comfortable. 

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
Surgery is not an option because of the Disease, however the doctor who specializes in it says my case is not so bad that I need a corneal transplant.  So it’s a matter of finding the best correction that’s comfortable.

Corneal transplants are the “easiest” of the transplants, but you really want to wait until you’re uncorrectable.  I’ve seen a few “textbook” transplants that still end up with graft rejection and that’s no bueno and even without that, the visual recovery is a slow process.

Offline Arcobsessed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
I ran into the same problem years ago. I wear progressives normally but have a pair of older, larger aviator frames and I had my optician insert single vision lenses in them. At the very bottom, I had him put in the old style reading circles (like your father or grandpa used to have). Only way to go. You can now read, see your tree steps, bow's nocking point..... There is absolutely no blurry interference with your shooting. It's the only way to go. Trust me.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:55 AM »
Ray.... Are you wearing 2 week extended contacts ???
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
Terry, in my left eye I wear a simple disposable contact. That eye has super easy slight correction and no kerataconus or stigmatism. My right eye is a hot mess with both stigmatized and kerataconus that I have been told takes the lenses as Maddog2020 describes to fix.  I went to the skirted lense two years ago thinking that was going to be a great opportunity for more comfort and still correcting vision over my gas permeable versions.  I think the sclera lense Maddog describes us newer technology and I will discuss with my optometrist about.  As far as extended wear I’ve never used them and don’t know if they are an option that would work for my right eye (and I do a lot of computer work that tends to create less blinking and dries out lenses). 

The bottom line is I’m going to discuss all the above at my appointment this Monday and try to get the best/most comfortable vision I can for 2020 (every pun intended!!😉)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
As a side note I spoke with my wife’s cousin who’s a traditional archer and a rep for an eyeglass lab and has been in the business for many years. He indicated that progressive lenses may be the better way to go if the point of my arrow is used in my shooting process at all.  Again, lots to consider and I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions here.  I just saw an old picture of me and a friend elk hunting in the early 80’s in Crested Butte Colorado. I was shooting my 69” 86# Howard Hill longbow with no worries about string interference or glasses.  It was in my mid twenties when attending Michigan State University that I noticed I couldn’t read stuff on the projector screen unless I sat in front of the room.  Vision has gone downhill since. (And so have my draw weights!!😆)

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
Eye glass wearers/bifocal/single script lens question
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
Terry, in my left eye I wear a simple disposable contact. That eye has super easy slight correction and no kerataconus or stigmatism. My right eye is a hot mess with both stigmatized and kerataconus that I have been told takes the lenses as Maddog2020 describes to fix.  I went to the skirted lense two years ago thinking that was going to be a great opportunity for more comfort and still correcting vision over my gas permeable versions.  I think the sclera lense Maddog describes us newer technology and I will discuss with my optometrist about.  As far as extended wear I’ve never used them and don’t know if they are an option that would work for my right eye (and I do a lot of computer work that tends to create less blinking and dries out lenses). 

The bottom line is I’m going to discuss all the above at my appointment this Monday and try to get the best/most comfortable vision I can for 2020 (every pun intended!!)

This is kind of long, but this is to give folks an understanding of what these guys are dealing with:

Not a lot of doctors fit scleral lenses, it’s kind of a specialty thing.  Just wanted to warn you.

The really frustrating thing about Keratoconus is that when the cornea gets to the “hot mess” stage, glasses just aren’t that useful and getting a good prescription is sort of a process after contacts are fit.

For those that don’t have it, keratoconus is a progressive disease of the cornea where there is an isolated area of thinning which causes the pressure behind the cornea to push that area out (like pushing a balloon with your finger from the inside) with the result being an elevated “cone” on the front of the eye that both distorts the vision, creates some irregular astigmatism AND makes glasses largely useless.

The process is that you do the eye exam which gets you a ballpark prescription (sometimes it‘a a tee ball size park, sometimes it’s Wrigley Field) and the curvature of the eye.  Someone equipped to manage it will utilize a corneal topographer that makes a detailed elevation map of the front of the eye that measures all of the irregularity and most importantly, the elevation of the “cone” that keratoconus causes and then a lab custom designs a lens based on that map.

After the lens comes in, it’s put on the eye and evaluated for how it fits (if it pushes too much on that cone, it’ll actually make it worse) and then you do another prescription with the contact on which might be totally different and you then add those numbers to the original contact lens!  You generally go through a few lenses as you refine the fit and prescription.

How the lenses work (and why soft ones don’t work) is that the rigid lens sits making very light contact with the tip of the cone “vaulting” the rest of the cornea.  Tears fill in that space between the lens and the cornea creating a much more regular optical surface and allows the image that usually hits the cornea and just scatters to focus more precisely and therefore correctable.

Most middle aged or older keratoconus patients wear both those expensive contacts AND glasses over them because once you make the eye correctable, you then have to deal with the normal “over 40’s” issue of not being able to read close any longer.  Most of the time, I’ll end up with those custom lenses AND a pair of progressive lenses.  It’s an expensive proposition no matter how you slice it, but damn it, a man HAS to be able to see!

Really everything involved in the process is a hot mess.  The cornea, the vision, the process, the cost involved...the works.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »
Wow....thx for the education Maddog!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »
I read this thread as I struggle with glasses both at work and hunting. But after reading this thread I've learned my "struggles" aren't really struggles at all but slight inconveniences. Good luck with finding something that works for you! Wishing you the best.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 01:23:07 PM »
Wow....thx for the education Maddog!!!

No problemo.  It’s a complicated condition both to have as a patient and to manage as a doctor, so I figured it might be helpful to folks wanting to offer suggestions.  Hard to offer useful input if you don’t understand!

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
I read this thread as I struggle with glasses both at work and hunting. But after reading this thread I've learned my "struggles" aren't really struggles at all but slight inconveniences. Good luck with finding something that works for you! Wishing you the best.

I’m glad you said that.  It’s a great lesson in the old “I lamented not having any shoes until I met a man with no feet” saying!  I suppose the same can be said for those with keratoconus because I deal on a daily basis with people that are truly functionally blind, so I guess there’s a silver lining everywhere.

One of my biggest resolutions for 2020 is to be more grateful.  Grateful for my job, my family, my health (whatever the state of it), grateful for having archery and friends here to share it with...a lot of stuff that always seems to take a backseat to whatever I feel like I DON’T have.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply, your professional advice is welcome and appreciated. Yes I have experienced the squishing of the cone with the hard lenses. Of course I can see better with the gas permeable hard lens that fits properly. The optometrist I visit is a large practice and they do have the topography technology and they also have a MD that specializes in Kerataconus . After she assessed my condition she referred me to one of the optometrist for fitting and annual care. My old optometrist (retired) who was actually very good and discovered my condition years before it was In most optometrist radars sent me to a large practice 200 miles away in the big city to have the topography done and confirmed his suspicions.  The current medical doctor compared to topographies over the years and determined that it is pretty slow growing right now. So at this point I am just trying to find the best and most comfortable solution. I’ve understood for a long time but this is not an easy fix for The professionals. Thus I am patient and understanding. I’ll report back what I find and what solution I try.

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 07:28:27 PM »
Thank you for the reply, your professional advice is welcome and appreciated. Yes I have experienced the squishing of the cone with the hard lenses. Of course I can see better with the gas permeable hard lens that fits properly. The optometrist I visit is a large practice and they do have the topography technology and they also have a MD that specializes in Kerataconus . After she assessed my condition she referred me to one of the optometrist for fitting and annual care. My old optometrist (retired) who was actually very good and discovered my condition years before it was In most optometrist radars sent me to a large practice 200 miles away in the big city to have the topography done and confirmed his suspicions.  The current medical doctor compared to topographies over the years and determined that it is pretty slow growing right now. So at this point I am just trying to find the best and most comfortable solution. I’ve understood for a long time but this is not an easy fix for The professionals. Thus I am patient and understanding. I’ll report back what I find and what solution I try.

Best of luck!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »
Phase 1 complete.

1) getting a pair of glasses (Nike) with single script and very small bifocal section down low.  These will be for shooting sessions and other sporting activity.  My current guy is having me see another in his practice that specializes in Sclera contacts (he specializes in gas permeable/hybrid).  My fallback will be gas permeable if Sclera doesn’t feel good.  He did say in my case if Sclera works for me it would give best results. One of the most gracious medical professionals I’ve worked with for sure.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
And as a side note there has been no changes in my topography in the last 3 years so that’s bee very stable. 🙏🙏👍👍

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©