3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight and accuracy?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight and accuracy?
« on: December 28, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
Am I the only one who shoots a little heavier pull better?

Quick run down. I’ve always shot and hunted with bows at around 55-60# at my draw. Never had a problem. I’m not shooting a thousand arrows a day, but could shoot a couple of 3D rounds in a day just fine with that weight. This year has been a hellava year. I’ve had 3 unexpected intestinal surgeries in a 6 month span, and it has knocked me down pretty good. Had me weak and I just didn’t heal up as quick as I thought I would.

I thought, I’ll just drop down in weight this year. No problem, ppl kill deer and pigs every year with 45#. No sweat. Well, no matter how hard I try, I’m just not as accurate with this weight and I struggle with arrow flight, no matter the spine. I know, the arrow flight has to be my release. I just don’t get off the string as smoothly with lower weight..that’s just me and as of right now, gotten better but not consistent. I also think I just don’t lock in with lower weight...if that makes sense? Form seems good, I think. Idk.

Anyways, I didn’t hunt with a bow this year, just wasn’t comfortable with my accuracy. No worries, I ain’t as mad at them as I used to be..lol Frustrated, I have sold all the lower weight bows, and I’m in the market to move back up to where I used to be and where I’ve had success. I believe I’m healed up enough.

I always hear about folks really gaining accuracy once dropping down in weight, and I’ve actually seen it from friends. Sometimes I think a person is probably a little overbowed and dropping weight puts them in a comfort zone, and for this, I believe for myself I can be overbowed and I also can be underbowed. I believe I just don’t have the skill level to shoot lower poundage bows as some do.

I’d like to hear others opinion on the matter? Has this happen to anyone else, or is it just me?

Thanks

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight and accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
I don't think anyone would deny that having more weight on your fingers doesn't result in a cleaner release.  With practice I think you'll get used to the lower pressure.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:11:15 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe I saw a quote from Byron Ferguson saying he preferred shooting heavy bows because he has a sloppy release.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
I think a lot of it is whatever you’re used to. That being said, it makes sense the extra finger tension created by a heavier bow would make for a smoother release.

Glad you’re able to move back up to your comfort zone weight for next season. Good luck!
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »
I tended to shoot heavier bows a little better back in the day. Due to age and injuries I can no longer shoot them. My sloppy release became a greater factor as I lowered the draw weight. I had shoulder surgery several years ago, and I am beginning to feel the other shoulder may need it. I'm shooting 53# bows now, but just in case I need them, I have several nice 40# sticks waiting in the wings. My most accurate time was with my 65# Wesley Special.
Sam

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
 I know these guys are a long ways from you, but Tom Clum or Arne Moe could be very helpful to you.  I spent a couple hours with Arne and it was well worth the effort.  Give them a call maybe they can give you a tip or two.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 11:18:47 PM »
I am in a similar situation as I age, 74 and looking at 75. My 55# bows have been getting a bit hard on me. I have some lower weight limbs but have a similar issue with release. I have tried a tab with limited success. For now I am working to improve my strength so I can shoot without discomfort.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »
Though not as a result of injury but rather age and not practicing as much as I once did I dropped some poundage.

I did fool around a bunch with my release which, checked by chronograph, has always been about 1-1.5 fps of deviation shot to shot based on a mean number.  My release is pretty clean and thats with a glove.  Not braging just reading the numbers.  It did change when I first went down in weight.

I do think the release and form are the key's in shooting lower poundage.

Just my thoughts.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 01:17:59 AM »
I have the same issue. I generally shoot bows around #60. If I pick up a 40-45 pound bow, I feel like I'm pulling back a rubber band and it just throws me off. I don't know why. I definitely get a better release with a heavier bow.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 02:23:43 AM »
For same bow design and material, torsional and vertical limb stability is better in a heavier bow as limbs are getting thicker and wider. Along with the cleaner release it could be another factor in accuracy/consistency that some archers might experienced with heavier bows.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:23:59 AM by hybridbow hunter »
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »
My groups  always tighten up when I switch to my heavy bows.  Tons of guys will tell you that isn't so.  Who cares we are not all the same.  I would keep some lighter bows  around its nice to build back up after a lay off.  Your not alone....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 02:45:07 PM »
Shoot what you shoot best.   I don't shoot latter white bows good either because it just seems blase' to me.  Heavier bows are what I'm use to and they seem to get me into proper alignment better...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
With lighter bows I found it easy to overdraw and get out of alignment, hence accuracy suffers.
shoot straight shoot often

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »
You had to practice to shoot up in weight and the same for going down in weight, practice, practice, and some more practice.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »
I shoot about the same. I regularly use both light and heavier bows. I enjoy both. My favorites though are right around the 50 pound mark. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Just the opposite here, I need a bow weight that I can hold comfortable at anchor for 3 seconds, that’s my most accurate. Any bow that I can not do that, accuracy goes way down, proper form goes out the window and soon I begin short drawing and snap shooting.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 05:32:02 AM »
I'm a snap shooter just like Howard Hill. :goldtooth:

My style doesn't control me and make me hold for 3 seconds while the window of opportunity may close.

But make no mistake I can creep rearward for 3 seconds if I need to.. :readit:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
Due to shoulder issues I was forced to back off on bow weight. Down to 45# now and it honestly has taken me over a year to get my accuracy back to what it was with my low to mid 50# bows. With the lighter draw weight I really struggled with a clean release, but it has all come together for me now. Doc said to go to 40# but I settled on 45# and am shooting that weight with no shoulder pain.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
Good for you Mike..,, you have to do what you have to do to stay in the game!!! 

Online beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 01:51:08 PM »
Right on staying in the game is what its all about...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©