Author Topic: Shop organization  (Read 2084 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Shop organization
« on: December 29, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
I finally got fed up with my cluttered and disorganized shop and I’m doing something about it. A few weeks ago I picked up a rolling tool cabinet with a wood top at HF while I was in the U.S. . It has one big drawer and two doors. I was impressed by the amount of tools that I could store in it, so now I decided to build similar cabinets to contain all the loose tools and crap in the shop and provide places for my oscillating sander, lathe, etc. I’m also going to build rolling bins to organize my mountain of wood offcuts.
I have less than 400 square feet to work with so I'm racking my poor tired old brain to come up with the best option for my little shop.
Does anyone have any pictures that they can share of what worked in their shops? I’d really appreciate any ideas.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
Re: Shop organization
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:38:08 PM »
My shop is small like yours. I just recently finished getting everything on wheels. It was the only way to achieve any productivity. Having a bunch of stationary tool that you can't get out of the way, just makes you want to go do something else. Off cut bins are good, so are shelves and racks. Anything you can stack vertically or hang from the ceiling also helps to free up work space. 
This is not a detailed pic, but you can see I have crap stacked and hanging everywhere. And now floor space too!

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »
400 sq. feet would be huge for me.

I am currently setting up a new small shop, I am putting everything I can in the air I can, to leave maximum floor space.

Peg boards, upper cabinets, overhead storage etc.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
The center point of my shop is my workbench. I built it to be extra heavy so it wouldn't walk across the floor when I am hoggin wood from an osage stave in my vise.

I bought prefab cabinet sections from Lowe's (I am a lousy cabinet maker) and made openings in the workbench to accommodate them. I later added a couple of drawers in the ends for more "stuff".

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
The key to a great shop is to get everything off the floor, into cabinets or on shelves. I am constantly adding shelves.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
Longgggggggggggg shelves on all four walls, two high and some 3 high.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:31:27 AM »
My shop isn't done, but it's getting there. I'm going to put a few more shelves up, finish the ceiling, set up the dust collector, and then organize tools, wood, everything... BIG time organize. Plenty to do yet. It'll be my 'happy place' and a more productive place to work when I'm done. When I moved here 5 years ago, there was nothing in there, just one light hanging, no outlets, and a dirt floor.

I got used oak kitchen cabinets on Craigslist pretty cheap. Actually, between my shop and upper garage, I bought and combined 3 matching kitchens different folks had removed in order to upgrade.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
The workbench I built from scratch. Super heavy, about 800 lbs, with a synthetic bowling alley top.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
The key to a great shop is to get everything off the floor, into cabinets or on shelves. I am constantly adding shelves.
+2 on that one, just common sense really.  If I ever build a shop I will for sure have a work bench at least 12' long,  that way bigger projects like cabinets and such can be worked on easily.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It helps to get ideas from guys with similar shops.
Here are some pictures of my shop as it has become.

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Rolling bins are awesome for those scraps you can't part with. I made one based on this design, works pretty good. If I made another one, I would do only do one row of bins, but on each side of the tall middle section.
Would be extra stable that way.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
I like that rolling bin. I’m going to build a couple of them, but only 3 or 4 feet wide so they’re easier to move. Today I picked up the plywood I’ll be using for the rolling cabinets for my lathe and mitresaw and I cleaned about 10 pounds of fine sawdust out of the corner behind the mitresaw.
Tomorrow’s plan is to start building the two cabinets. I’m also going to dig out a spare set of wheels and get my jointer on them. Not what I really want, but that old machine is a constant source of bruises. It needs to be mobile.
Dave.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
I had this 16 feet long laminated bench made. It is dead straight and heavy and can be used for many things.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 07:50:31 PM »
Bue, your workshop is the best I’ve ever seen. That big workbench is great. I have another big bench in the basement. If I ever get a larger shop I intend to install that bench next to the old one. I’ll place them both on wheels so they can be moved as needed.
Dave.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »
Bue, That is a beautiful shop. That is definitely my dream to one day have a shop like that. I wouldn't want to get it dirty if I had one that nice.  I have plans of building a new shop this coming year.  It's nice to see other shops to get an idea for the end product.  My little shop is so cluttered I wouldn't know what to do with all that space. I've been using a 12x12 space  as my Gun, Bow and taxidermy shop for years.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
Bue, I really like your shop. Three things jump out at me, and none of them is your bench  :dunno:

1. Plenty of windows letting in all that natural light. It takes away valuable wall space, but if you have enough room otherwise, that is definitely the way to go. A most excellent call on that one.

2. Cathedral ceiling. I like high ceilings. Nothing I hate worse than getting a bow all finish sanded, and sometimes freshly finished, and spin it around to WACK it off of a low rafter, garage door track, etc.

3. That wood floor. Dude... that's just straight up classy looking.

Well done sir.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 03:22:55 PM »
I decided I’d better build a wood bin first to clear some clutter before tackling the cabinets. I’m almost done, but I had to come inside to warm my feet. I hate standing on concrete in winter.
Bucknut, where in Ohio are you? I hunt near Powhattan Point with friends once or twice a year.
Dave.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
First bin is done. As you can see, I’ll need at least one more, but it’s a start.  :)

Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©