3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anderson County, South Carolina Deer Harvest & Spartensburg  (Read 707 times)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
Anderson County, South Carolina Deer Harvest & Spartensburg
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »
Can anyone explain why Anderson County Deer harvest per square mile is over twice as high as Greenville County?  Then you shoot over to Spartanburg county and the deer take increases again.

Perhaps it's because Greenville County has so much population and suburbs?

Still, lesser populated counties surrounding Anderson, such as Abbeville, Oconee, Pickens, and Lauren are also much lower.

I sure would be interested to know what it is about the topography and soil, etc,. that makes a difference.

My wife and I will be going there this year and spending a couple weeks.  It would be nice if we could figure out some deer hunting possibilities.  I'm not really that familiar with the area, but intend to become familiar.

Have a good day, all.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anderson County, South Carolina Deer Harvest & Spartensburg
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Greenville County is WAY overpopulated. There are sporadic spots where deer live.
I work about 1/2 mile from a large mall off of Haywood Road in Greenville. A few years ago a doe crossed the road in front of me by the mall. She ended up getting hit.
Anderson is a populated county but not as crowded as Greenville.
Greenwood and Abbeville counties have a lot of deer when you get away from the suburbs. I've seen a LOT of deer that have been hit on the shoulder of roads in Greenville county going into Laurens county on 385. The rural backroads in Greenwood and Abbeville,not so much in Laurens. Most counties in the upstate are private land with patches of public land.
Spartanburg county is growing but not as fast as Greenville.
I live in Sparkle City (a word for Spartanburg) county near the BMW factory. There are a LOT of deer in my neighborhood.  Back in May this year a doe dropped a fawn in my yard (we have several acres of fenced property).
Revelation 3:20

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:27 PM »
Bobaru>
I sent you a PM
Revelation 3:20

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »
GENERALLY, the deer population decreases the further away form the coast you get.
With that being said, there are plenty of deer in the upstate and I've seen some good'ns killed up there.

Deer season ended in SC on 1/1 besides the youth hunts on 1/4.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
Agreed, Greenville county is highly populated. Lots of deer but hunting sized lots and permission to hunt is hard to find. I’ve seen some absolute monsters ( by SC standards) taken in Greenville county. They keep building subdivisions, it’s getting ridiculous.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©