Author Topic: R/D longbow vs Hybrid R/D longbow?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
R/D longbow vs Hybrid R/D longbow?
« on: January 03, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
Was looking at some bow designs on Binghams website. What is the difference between these two? They do not have good profile pics of these to compare. Is the hybrid just a more pronounced R/D bordering on recurved limbs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: R/D longbow vs Hybrid R/D longbow?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »
Reflex Deflex. My thoughts are a true longbow has neither. Hill style straight grip and limbs The hybrids have deflexed riser going into reflexed limbs. Hybrid means a mix in breeds so part LB and part RC.2 cents
High on Archery.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 03:55:11 PM »
My thoughts too unless one has more R/D than the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »
Autumnarcher, I think your impression is correct, the hybrid being a more pronounced r/d. They tend to get shorter as the r/d gets more pronounce.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
Hybrid still a mix not pure breed.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

High on Archery.

Offline mtblucas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
Here you go. On the left is Bingham’s 64” R/D, and on the right is the 62” hybrid.

I have always thought of a hybrid as having enough of a “hook” built into the limbs that the bow is not “D” shaped when strung. Instead, it looks more like a recurve. It’s not quite a recurve, however, since the string doesn’t touch the belly side of the limbs. It really is a true hybrid between a straight limbed longbow and a recurve. I think this makes for a bow that is forgiving like a longbow but has faster arrow speed like a recurve.

I have built several 64” R/D bows. I absolutely love the way they shoot. They feel like a longbow and are very accurate. The hybrid in the pics above is the first hybrid I have ever made or shot. I like it but am still getting used to it. It definitely requires a very smooth release. I’d almost say it’s a bit finicky. If you release the arrow well it shoots as smooth as butter. I love them both, but still think the 64” R/D is my fav, for now anyway.

They do not have good profile pics of these to compare.

My only complaint with Bingham Projects is their website. They don’t have detailed descriptions or good photos of their designs. The photos on their “wood samples” page are also underexposed, so it’s difficult to really see the characteristics of the different woods that they sell. That said, I have always been very happy within  the quality of the materials I have purchased from them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

CV and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©