3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice please  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice please
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Was hoping to get advice and/or input. I am looking to open an archery range in the Edwardsville, IL area. This will be a indoor and outdoor range only, in a existing workout facility that has been opened for a few years. Indoor range will be in an unused upstairs area. This area measures approx 70ft by 45ft. Would like to have approx 10-15 shooting lanes. Outdoor area is quite large and will be used for 3D shoots as well as other target shoots. No items will be sold initially, this is a range only. Any suggestions on targets for the upstairs indoor range? I have been looking at the 48x48 Big Boy Targets, but am open to suggestions, and would be appreciated.
Please give me any input, suggestions, or advice. I would like this to be more of a “casual” spot where people of any age can shoot, hangout, and talk archery without worries.

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
Once again any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »
I'm sure you have done a survey to find out what the local market wants. 
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
Yes

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
Compressed card board is cheap and lasts a long time,  might make some backstops from it.  Then pin paper targets be it animal or bullseye. The club here has the on lockable wheels. Pushes them against the back wall when they have indoor 3d targets set up
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
I used to shoot a lot of ranges that had both trad and compound shooters, and the only complaint I had on mixed ranges was that most of the targets were very long range for most trad guys. Since I was the only trad shooter at several places, it took them a little while to get used to my distance limitation, but they accommodated me, and all was well. But there is definitely a different mindset between us and the compounders. That is the only item I would stress regarding the 3D setup. One other thing I noticed when shooting with the compound guys was that they regularly wanted to shoot my stick bow, a perfect chance for a little traditional ambassadorship. Several of them got trad bows themselves.

I like the 48X48 targets for the indoor range.

Where I differ, just a little is on stocking items for sale. After you have been at it a while, you may find it useful to stock a few points, nocks, inserts, etc. so guys can make quickie repairs at the range. I understand you don't want to have a full blown pro shop, so just let experience with your clients guide you. I hope you are very successful. Good luck!
Sam

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
Thank you. Very grateful.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
An old range around here built targets on casters out of 2x4’s so guys could roll them up and down the lanes to the ideal distance. There was a top and bottom target so you could shoot competition leagues.... compressed cardboard or carpet holds up really well and arrows tend to stick in straighter then bags style targets
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
I am considering the 48x48x16 Big Boy Targets for the range. Initially it looks as though there will be 10 shooting lanes total.

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »
Outdoor area is approx 100 yards by 60 yards. Should be plenty of room for shooting out there.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »
I would wonder how much competition you will get from the place in Bellville (Town Hall) though I have not been there in several years.  It has been around a long, long time and as you may already know has a great archery shop.

Just thinking......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
Yes, I know, thought of that as well. But I would like to make this place more of a traditional place, recurved and longbows,  as well as the compound guys if it fits their needs. Inside up to 20 yards and outside should give them the additional yardage the would want.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
One thing you might consider to help draw traditional shooters is a cheap video camera on a tripod and a way to easily view videos to help shooters review their form.  I have brought my own camera to review my form but don't remember seeing a range that had a system on site.  Target stops on coasters will also encourage traditional shooters and new shooters.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 07:20:54 PM »
I can definitely do that. Thank you

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 06:49:47 AM »
Just down the road in Troy. Used to be a regular at Town Hall but just to far to go shoot.

Hardcore trad shooter for a long time. PM me if you want

JK
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »
This thread reminds me of when I took a old garage door opener and made a moving deer target. You could shoot it from a elevated or ground level position. It went over pretty well too. The ranges that I shot back east always had something going on such as barbecues, flea markets, big buck contest, arrow building classes, and a wild game lunch that was more like a picnic.  Best of luck. JMG
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
Is there anything that you guys would like to see at an archery range? Please feel free to let me know.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »
Fot the indoor range think about putting the targets on wheels so you can have people shooting at different ranges when necessary (ie newbies.)
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Rhodi53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Have thought of that and is already planned. Thanks

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 06:29:57 PM »
I know you want to go trad only, and there's nothing wrong with that. Allowing others would probably be a bit more profitable though. I've shot with a lot of compound shooters up at school, and it's funny how many of them want to try my recurve. Quite a few of them have actually ended up buying cheap recurves just because they have more fun shooting them at the range. Allowing both to shoot side by side might convince a few other guys to give trad a try. You'd just have to make sure that you don't end up with some of the "trad police" type who are going to beat the compound guys over the head about their equipment choices. You could end up starting with a mixed batch at first that could eventually start turning more towards recurves and longbows later on if things go well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©