3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Robin Hood or Not?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robin Hood or Not?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
Yes every time I practice I set a video of course in case of something happens. When I go to the bathroom as well.
I know it seems incredible but it is true. If you want the story it was on Christmas Day and I was shooting 23 m. A kind of Christmas miracle....and an insane luck
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
I know we all call one arrow sticking into another a Robin Hood, but in reality nearly all are just pure bad luck.  The only true Robin Hood is the one you called, where you aimed the second arrow at the first and nailed it.   :notworthy:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »
I know we all call one arrow sticking into another a Robin Hood, but in reality nearly all are just pure bad luck.  The only true Robin Hood is the one you called, where you aimed the second arrow at the first and nailed it.   :notworthy:

Well, from now on, consider any arrow I happen to shoot into the bulls eye to be “called.”
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »
I call it EVERY TIME I practice. Only happened twice in 61 years but I keep calling it.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline KillerBiteFuzz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:24 AM »
Yep.  A Robin Hood is shooting one arrow into the arrow before it.  Shooting groups, in which one eventually shoots an arrow into one of several already in the target, isn't a real Robin Hood, IMO.

Yep... Thats why the big boy compound shooters shoot a 6 spot target....  Who wants to make a $10-20.00 per arrow two lost arrows.  When I shot indoor I started with a single faced bull and after a couple of ruined arrows (yea, I could shoot that good back then) I went to the 6 spot.  Likely not today though.

At 3D matches in my fingers sighted compound days we all had arrows with different colored nocks so no one could see your nock if the shot looked good.....

Just sayin......

Huh...never heard of a six spot target.   1s, 3s, and 5s but never a six

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
There was an archery shop near Sacramento back in the 90s that had a wall of "Robin Hood" shots made on their range.  They were mostly aluminum but some carbons.  So the arrows were permanently stuck inside the other.

As I recall the legend, it was as Pat B described -- no other shot could have won except by splitting the arrow taking up the real estate on the target.  Since even a minor deflection would have landed the shot less than perfect, splitting the arrow was about as perfect a shot as would have been possible.

I've often wondered what kind of point they were using?  2-blade head or bodkin?  A bladed head could achieve that split a little easier, I'd think.  But a bodkin or something like it would be quite a bit harder, if not impossible.  But then I remember that it's just a story & I need to let it go.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
We use to do it with just field points.  I thought I was gonna have to fight a fella one day after I split the second one of his arrows and popped one of his nocks in between.
He never asked to shoot with us again though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
With wood arrows I have had field points destroy the nock and split 6 to 8 inches down the shaft but have never had a woodie stick in another woodie with a field point. Points are so big and arrows are fragile enough i dont know if it would would ever truly stick and stay in.  I'm not sure the spruce is strong enough to keep the other arrow in without just busting.  Good news is that I can usually.glue the arrow back together clamp it and once dry throw a new nock on and the arrows fly no worse for wear.

I have had a wood arrow bisect another shot from a different angle and stick in. I call this the little john.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
You'd need some pretty straight grain to split one all the way down and we don't seem to have a lot of that these days.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©