3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comparison reviews  (Read 921 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Comparison reviews
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »
Hey folks, l'm looking for a new bow but it's not always easy to come up with info. People are great at telling you their experience but without something solid to anchor it to it's hard to put in perspective sometimes. I was thinking we could start a thread for relative comparisons. Few of us have shot everything but most have prob shot more than one bow. Even if we just compare them to each other it could be really helpful to those looking. Maybe l'm looking for a PSR. Say lve shot a Chinook. And l see someone has posted a comparison of a Chinook and a Tuktu. Say l also see a comparison of a Tuktu and a PSR. Though from different people it could be a tool to figure out some things and get a feel before you buy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comparison reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
Javaman Helmsdeep / Toelke Chinook

The Helmsdeep is a static recurve. Mine is 54 and l can draw it to 30.5 and it just starts to stack. It has narrow thick trapezoid shaped limbs that totally resemble a longbow. It feels like a longbow when you draw except with lots of string tension to start.

The Chinook has about the same draw length before stacking. It is a dynamic working limb so it doesn't so much feel like stacking as the draw eventually just runs out. The Chinook had even more tension when starting to draw. The draw feels 'squishy' compared to the Helmsdeep. I think some others would call this smooth. Really really high string tension at first and then it doesn't increase much. I think due to the wide thin typ recurve limbs. When strung you can bend the limbs in all directions easily as where the Helmsdeep is very stiff. I felt as if l needed to be careful with the Chinook but it feels like l couldn't hurt the Helmsdeep even though it's smaller in almost every dimension.

The Helmsdeep shelf is your typical longbow wedge style. The Chinook has the higher cut-out bear style were you have the room to add an elevated rest or a feather rest without pushing your arrow further from center.

I've tried both Chinook grips, with and without the thumb ramp. I found them to be very low wrist longbow style. The helm's deep is definitely a little higher but I would still say it's low to medium. The Helmsdeep has a nice palm swell that I really like.

Off memory I think they got around 180 feet per second with 550 grain arrows out of a 52 # Helmsdeep. It's a really fast bow and doesn't shock the hand much at all. I don't know if it's quieter than the Chinook but it definitely has a lower tone so it sounds quieter to me if you know what I mean.

The Chinook was a couple pounds heavier and just a tiny bit faster so very very equivalent. Lots of people comment on how fast my Helmsdeep is, but just about every person I shot the Chinook with commented on how fast it was. It definitely has a higher pitch twing sound. The Chinook was a 58 in compared to a 54 in Helmsdeep. I noticed less finger pinch with the Helmsdeep probably due to the static limbs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©