3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with arrow spine Hill bow  (Read 662 times)

Offline DawgDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with arrow spine Hill bow
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »
Guys just playing with some different arrows on my Howard Hill 51 lb @ 27 - I draw about 27.5". I do not like shooting full length as I find them distracting to have 4" of arrow hanging off the front of my bow so I typically cut to length and add weight to the front as needed. I was bare-shafting some arrows and it seems to like a .600 Axis cut to 28.5" with 275 gr weight up front. Does that seem reasonable? - seems like that should be weak to me? Also does pretty well with a 2013 cut to 28.5 with 200 gr. of point and whatever the factory aluminum insert weighs. This is my first Hill-style and I do not know how cut to center they are and I'm sure that makes it like a weaker arrow but that seems like it is 10lb in dynamic spine too weak.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Help with arrow spine Hill bow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:36:28 PM »
Hills are cut about 1/8 inch proud of center.  Add a leather strike plate and they're probably 3/16 proud of center.  I'm a bit surprised that the 600s fly well with that much weight on the front end.  I'd expect a 500 Axis with 275 grains up front to shoot well out of that bow. But, it is what it is.

I, too, cut to length and add front end weight as needed.  I cut my arrows to 29 inches BOP and can shoot 600s and 500s out of my 45-48# ASLs (at my 28-inch draw length) -- the 600s with about 150 grains up front and the 500s with 250-275 up front. I am shooting low stretch strings, which require a stiffer arrow than dacron. My elk set up last fall was a 400 Axis shaft with 350 grains up front for a 650 grain arrow out of my 52# ASL.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©