3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Locket socket lube?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Locket socket lube?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 07:20:37 AM »
Yes Lowrider, the method Black Widow demonstrates to pull apart a stuck or extra tight 2 piece is extremely effective. Yes you can use string wax.
It's cheaper to use the Vaseline or even better the $2 toilet bowl ring that will last 10 life times than it for a trip to the Dr. to get your shoulders xrayed.
When using the string wax, it is exponentially difficult to pull a 2 piece apart even using the behind the back method. Leave it together for over 6 months? Might as well enlist the help of two large men and a small farm animal to pull it apart!

I have owned many widow 2 piece bows... dozens. Some were made for me before I started making bows, and many I took in on trade. They do a fantastic job on some really great bows, but that perfect socket fit they have does much better with the "closet flange seal"
Now, if your socket is rather loose, all the above is null and void.

I've made over 1200 TD bows.. maybe much more. As time went on, I improved the fit. But even with that much practice, some will be a little easier/harder to dissaseble than others.

If your bow is very easy to take apart, than string wax may help.

Worse case scenario, you need help taking a bow apart... clean out the socket and don't use that wax anymore.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 07:56:06 AM »
Philip, I watched the video. They sure make it look easy enough. I went out yesterday and bought the wax ring from the hardware store so we’ll see how it goes once the bow gets here.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:25 AM »
Fred ,
  Here’s something that I use on my saw blades,cutting tools and it is scent free.
It is called a cut Lube and not greasy,sticky or gooey so to speak.
 Very slick like a dry lube or deodorant stick without that sticky feel.
 I use it on my Huntmore 360 bolts and washers so they don’t squeak  and makes it sort of spin better.
  My sister got me this when I was making “Rings” from old coins and is just puts a slick dry feel to work surfaces or whatever you apply it too.
  Doesn’t seam to collect grit or in other words grit doesn’t attach to it.
 She got it from a Hobby store or I think even Wally World might have it in the jewelry department but don’t quote me on that .
  This is a 2oz. Push up tube with a cap to seal it.
Can be put in your backpack and not take up much room .
Probably would work on all those take down bows as well but I never had a Lock it socket  bow so I can’t say how it will work on the socket  but I would give it a try if it was mine.
  Anyway. Just a different option for you if you don’t want the greasy feel.  :archer:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:00:02 PM by Keefer »

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 08:09:37 AM »
Thanks Keefer. Found it online  :thumbsup:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline AzTBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 10:45:08 AM »
I previously owned a Black Widow PL longbow.  My experience, when using string wax mirrors BigJim’s observation "Leave it together for over 6 months? Might as well enlist the help of two large men and a small farm animal to pull it apart!”  My current bow is a Robertson CoyWolf take-down with a Locket Socket.  I originally  was using string wax and I literally had to use a couple of strap wrenches, after leaving it together for a period of time, to unlock.  After switching to Vaseline, per Dick Robertson recommendation, the socket is a quick hand-twist to unlock.  The toilet bowl wax also sounds like a great lube.
Good Hunting
Ross

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 11:15:57 AM »
I did have a beautiful take down Mountain Monarch I bought from Big Jim and during my illness and a week moment I sold it. Still want to kick myself over that one. He does make a superb take down system and I am sure after making the number of bows that he has he knows the best methods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©