3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changing Broadheads?  (Read 493 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Changing Broadheads?
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
On 08-22-08, Stone Knife had a poll on "Favorite Broadhead".  Of the 319 voters, the top ten were:
#1-Zwickey 46 (14%)
#2-Magnus Snuffer 37 (12%)
#3-Wensil Woodsman 35 (11%)
#4-Magnus 34 (11%)
#5-Simmons 25 (8%)
#6-Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut 21 (7%)
#7-TIE Old Bear Razorhead 16 (5%)
       Grizzly 16 (5%)
#9-Muzzy Phantom 14 (4%)
#10-Razorcaps 13 (4%)
With all the info from Dr. Ashby studies and based on your own experience from last year's hunting season; how many of ya' are changing broadheads for the upcoming season?  If so, please respond and include the following info:
Reason for changing:
 (increased penetration, better bloodtrails, easier to sharpen, more durable,etc.)
Game to be hunted:
poundage of bow:
Maybe we can get enough to respond where we can see a definite trend.  Thanks
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changing Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I guess I need to start this off.
Going to try Wensil Woodsmans.  Easy to sharpen, fly like field points and hopefully will give bloodtrails as good as or better than most 2-blades I have been using. Also have some Zwickey 4-blade Eskimos if I don't like the penetration from the WW's. Hunting whitetail deer with 45 lb.(at my draw length) recurve.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
My Ace Express 165's don't even make the top ten, but they have been very good to me I have no plans to change.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Nope, with the game that I'm hunting a woodsman is all that ya need, provides excellect penetration and perfect flight.  If I run into a water buffalo I might reconsider it then. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm deeply saddened to see that my 145gr Ribteks didn't make the list.   :(  
Guess its a cult following! Got no plans to change, though.

Cam

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
My top two will still be the old Bear greenie, and then the WW's.  I'm just feeling nostalgic I guess.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
I'm surprised the Stos didn't make it either. I am sticking with Simmons. I do have some Montec B52s that are discontinued that fly really nice...? Love those 2 blade heads.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
I'm going to try something different. Thanks to Joey and JC I can now sharpen the big Snuffers. Since I'm a deer hunter I don't think I'll have any penetration issues. Come October, I'll know !

For 30ish years I've used Zwickeys, they've been good to me.. Also used a few Eclipse b'heads.. More of the same.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I have switched to Ace 145 and Wensel Woodsmans 150, both screw ins. I had been using Magnus 100 gr. vented, no problems really, good flight, 4 deer with 4 hits. I occasionally got some wind plane on windy days. The heavier heads shoot great out to 25 yds, which is about my limit.The main reason is that in tuning my bows, all shot much quieter, much better, less finicky with theser heavier heads. In looking at penetration, A deer got run over by my house this spring, called F&W, asked them if I could move out of my yard, knew the officer, he said sure. I took my 4 wheeler and trailer took to the back forty and propped dead deer up. Then proceded to test different broadheads for penetration using a clicker and a release from my wheel bow days. The 145-150 versus the 100gr, same arrows, 15 yds, on shoulders and hams. Heavier heads penetrated about 4-5 inches more, all I needed to see.
samuel koger

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Just picked up some Magnus 2 blades from 3 rivers. Looking forward to shootin em.
                                    Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I have re-vamped my entire set up this year.

I've killed deer and elk with both 2 blade and snuffers. I never could really tell much difference in the blood trails.  

Out of the elk I've killed, only two have had 2 blood holes, and even then I wouldn't call those blood trails "profuse".

Ashby has me convinced. Anybody willing to put in years and years of broad-head study, then finds what he thinks is best deserves a try in my oppinion. If it will penetrate a buffalo reliably it should have no problem taking elk and deer.

My previous set ups were Bear, Ben-pherson, PSE and the like recurves from 57# to 72#'s. I always shot 2117 or 2216 with a standard 125 grain heads.

This year I'll be shooting a 67# @ 29" Widow with 31" 75/95 Gold tip (the traditional model)with 315 grains up front for a total FOC of 20% and total arrow weight of 695 grains. The Widow flings them as flat as my 71# Bear flings 550 grain 2117's. I'll probably use 125 grain Grizzly's with a 125 grain steel adapter, 50 grain weight tube and 15 grain insert.

Good thread.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm sticking with the Treesharks but may try some heavier tapered maple shafts with them.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
I've been using Ace Standards since 2004 with great results on squirrels, grouse, rabbits, deer, and an elk, 200# boar and a bull moose. I don't see any reason to change. If it's not broke...

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I know what I like, but I still like to try new stuff.  This year I'll be testing the new Magnus 150 2 blade Buzzcut and the Zwickey No Mercy in left single bevel.  And the usual suspects will still be along for the ride.

Packing more weight up front this year too.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Having finally learned how to put an edge on an Eclipse, I'm dumping WW's.  Something about the simple beauty of that head does it for me.  Might also carry a Magnus I with me too.  Objective point weight will be 255gr or 300gr depending on the bow.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
Sticking with snuffers.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »
After following JC's advice, I usually have 4 different broadheads in my quiver. Could be a mix of any of these;

Zwickey Eskimo/Delta, 2/4 blade,
Wensel Woodsman
STOS
MagnusI 2/4 blade
Snuffers 125/145
Deadheads
Silverflame
Eclipse

All inserted & weighted to 200-220gn

I figure that they're all great heads, they've all taken a ton of game & I've got the horsepower to poke 'em through both sides of most things that walk, crawl or fly, so it doesn't really matter which one I shoot!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I'm gonna try the zwickey 2blade deltas, this year on deer, and next year on turkey
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Well, dangit, I'm sticking with my Bear Razorheads and Ribteks.   I guess the survey group was the same one the used on Family Feud the other week....they didn't use my answers either.     :banghead:     "[dntthnk]"

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I am not really changing per say. I will be shooting my own tradepoint heads. However their profile is the same as 190 griz(that I have used for 10yrs griz that is). But making my own was the best way to get the left bevel grind I needed to go with my left fletch (got tired of waiting for someone else to do it).

Selfbow 60lb, average tradepoint weight 191 with tapered ash shaft 700grains. Turkey, deer, elk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©