3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elley  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elley
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
 Elley always loved to ride ATVs, Tractors, anything really. If she saw you walking toward one, or if you started one, Elley would promptly “load up”! She firmly believed that any motorized vehicles sole purpose was for her riding pleasure. I was not driving the tractor for hours plowing the field, No! I was driving the tractor so Elley could ride! My son went out to the shop to get something while I pulled the side by side around in front of the house. Leaving it running, I ran back in the house to get some coffee for the road. Upon my return to the ATV, Elley had “Loaded Up” and was sitting in the middle of the front bench seat. She was obviously eager to get started on whatever adventure we were headed out to do. I had actually gone around to the rear of the ATV to stow some gear before it hit me. .”Wait”! “What”? I rushed back around the ATV to Elley. Sure enough, Elley was sitting there looking at me with her familiar expression, as if to say, “Don’t know exactly what we’re doing, but I’m in!. My son appeared, and like me, it took a few seconds for it to register. My wife had evidently seen us through the kitchen window as she came running out to us. As we all gathered around and loved on her, Elley soaked up all the attention and wagged her tail happily. She didn’t know why her humans were so glad to see her this morning, but it really didn’t matter her anyway as long as she got the attention. We were thrilled and so very relieved to see Elley, but she looked horrible. She was no longer orangish yellow with white markings. She was a solid rusty red from all the dried blood and dirt that covered her whole body. She was cut to ribbons. Her body was covered with countless cuts, scrapes and lacerations. My son and wife could see it too. “Is she gonna be ok dad?” My son asked. “ Yes I answered”. None of the cuts were still bleeding badly and there were no deep punctures in her abdomen. She had obviously been in a very brutal and violent fight, but she would be ok. I asked my wife to go run a tub of warm water. I had to clean her up, disinfect wounds and the sew up several of the larger lacerations. I reached over, turned the key and shut off the ATV. Puzzled, Elley tilted her head and looked at me. Despite all her injuries, she seemed to feel fine and seemed in high spirits. She unloaded and ran around the house. I gathered some beta dine to mix with her bath water. When I called for her, she emerged from around the house with a dark, bloody and mangled, “Thing”. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a hogs ear with a strip of the scalp still attached. Elley was a trophy hunter. Any varmint or critter she killed got drug up to the house. Often it was deposited right on the door step. I did not particularly appreciate this behavior, but my wife truly hated it. Seems most ladies don’t enjoy stepping out of the house onto, rats, birds, snakes, possums, frogs, lizards, moles, squirrels, rabbits, weasels, coyotes, turtles, fish, beavers, skunks and small alligators. This being just a partial list of  the “Trophies” that Elley had deposited on our doorstep over the years. Doesn’t seem to bother our son much, even though the task of hauling them off falls to him. Despite having the daylights sscared out of me on a regular basis, and launching my head into the top of the door frame from time to time, I’ve come to accept it as part of life with Elley. My wife still hates it though, and approaches the front door like it was a bomb. I bathed Elley, stitched her up and put her in a warm kennel to rest. She was so easy to doctor on. She knew I was trying to help her. Something about the hog ear stuck in my mind like a thorn, it did not make sense. Obviously she had killed the hog, but something did not add up, all her trophies were from around the house or close by. She would not have carried that ear a mile and a half back home. I was missing something and an investigation was in order......

Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:05 PM »
 :campfire:

More, please! :readit:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »
 I decided to start back at the place I had originally ran to when they first tied up. I grabbed my bow and a few arrows, not for any particular reason or because I thought the hog was somehow still alive, it’s just not my nature to go into the woods without it. I found the spot easily and began to read the story written there. With daylight, the sign is much easier to decipher and read. After a few minutes, suspicion began to mount that they had not torn off in the direction of the swamp as I had figured. A well used trail went back the opposite direction towards an old pond. After following this awhile I found a large hog track, then a few feet further, Elleys track. I followed the trail another 700 yards or so to the old pond. There he lay in the edge of the pond. It had obviously been a long, hard fight. They had cleared quite a large area near the pond. He was about 250 pounds and had good cutters, no wonder she was cut up. As bad as Elley looked, that hog sure got the worst of it! She had completely torn or chewed the hoofs off both back feet. She had also gotten into his hind end and groin area, doing massive damage. Smart girl I thought to myself. She had caught hogs before and like snakes, she knew the safest way to go after them. After breaking him down in the hind end, she had gone to work on his head. An ear and part of his scalp was missing of course, the other side virtually untouched. His snout and nose were completely destroyed, utterly chewed away.  This is how she actually finished him. I rolled him over to see where my arrow had hit. Exactly as I thought, too far forward and nothing more than a flesh wound. On the walk back home, I thought about the irony of having spent half the night looking for them in the completely wrong direction! Lesson learned, rookie mistake, always verify direction before abandoning the track on a hunch. I thought of my favorite bible story, David and Goliath. A 39 pound dog against a 250 pound boar with razor sharp cutters certainly seems a mis match. There is an old saying however, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. Don’t be deceived by her innocent appearance and humble demeanor. Elley had crushing jaws, powerful legs and a unstoppable will given to her from several hundred years of selective breeding. Among animals, Elley and her kind are pound for pound, the most effective killers on earth. I knew from the start that Elley was more than a match for this, or any hog. My worry came from the fact that I was not there to save her if something went wrong and she got an artery cut or a deep intestine puncture. Elley was ready to get out of the kennel when I got back. We kept her inside for a few days. She spent the rest of the day playing with her new “Trophy”. She fully recovered in short order and lived to a ripe old age of 14.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 08:00:28 PM »
Fantastic story thanks for sharing.  Reminds me of all my dogs..   :clapper:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »
 As a post note, Elley enjoyed good health all the way to the end and quietly passed in her sleep at the foot of our bed.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
Nice read, thanks.
 :coffee:       :archer2:       :campfire:       :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
Lol, here are two upside down pics of Elley napping. One is before her bath and the other is several months later.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us.  :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 08:59:38 PM »
Thanks for a great story.  :campfire:
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
 :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Offline Pflum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Great story about a great dog, and a misunderstood breed. When my wife showed up with a pit bull pup 3 years ago, I was skeptical. I had read the news stories and heard the urban legends about these vicious time bombs, how it was only a matter of time before they snap and mail anything in their path.
Well I gave Hank a chance, and have been rewarded with the best dog I've ever had. Everything you said about the intensity and persistence of these dogs is absolutely true, and in the wrong hands they are dangerous, same as any other powerful force.
Like you said, if I can find a way to communicate what I want him to do, he does it. Very eager to please, and if he knows I'm unhappy with him, it's like his world is coming to an end.
Sorry to ramble/highjack, just love to see these dogs appreciated and acknowledged for what they really are. I'm sure you have plenty more stories about Elley, and I would love to hear them.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2020, 10:28:45 PM »
They are a very misunderstood breed. I have a lifetime of stories about these dogs. I’ve not been without one of these dogs ever in my life. I was raised by one and will have at least one at all times as long as I’m able. My current one, Festus is now 7. We got him when Elley was about 10 or 11. Our newest, who will eventually inherit Festus’s duties is Hooligan. You are correct that they require responsible owners. Part of the problem is a lot of irresponsible people are attracted to the breed.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »
Bravo 👏! Great story!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2020, 11:46:45 PM »
Excellent story.  I must say you have defined what the "real" breed is like when reared well.  Ya, I remember Pete on the Rascal's .

I must ask the question....  Is Elley actually more an American Bull Dog ?  My understanding is that the breeding stock came from over seas and then was developed here.  I have only seen several of what I think you have and really, they dont look like "Pits" to me.

Just asking.....  Thanks
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Bisch

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »
Probably the best story I have read on TG in a looooooooong while.............maybe ever!!!!! You sir, have unreal talent with the written word!!!

Bisch

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »
That was simply incredible.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
I absolutely loved the story, and fell in love with Elley along the way! Such a good dog!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online HOGLESS2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
Great story. I’ll read any book you write.
Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©