3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need to use a release aid for awhile... suggestions?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need to use a release aid for awhile... suggestions?
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
Index finger on my string hand is out of use for some time to come; it does not bend, and there was an incision right on my first joint for a required surgery. Haven't shot in two months, and I'm getting pretty anxious.
I looked up the Talon tab that an associate sponsor here used to offer, but the website's gone; PM'd the gentleman but haven't heard back. So... I have no experience with any of the wrist drawn releases (if that's what they're called?), and would appreciate advice or suggestions.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need to use a release aid for awhile... suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:18:33 PM »
Ask Jerry Russell

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »
You can.  It will need some adjustment of your tune.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »
Hey man , do what you have to do !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
Grab a mid grade trigger release for compound guys and pull it with your middle finger.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
I have a traditional release aid I picked up from a bear outfitter in Canada.  I've tried it with bows up to 52 lbs. and it works great.  You would be able to draw with your middle, ring and pinky fingers leaving your index finger straight and operate the release with your thumb.  It would be pretty simple to make one for yourself.  Last time I tried to post pictures here I couldn't get them to post but if you pm me your email I can email some pictures.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:12 AM »
I had to set my wife up with a release a few years ago, Joel Turner was in town and he helped me out, big trick I took away, is tie the D-Loop below the nocking point at the spot your middle finger normally contacts the string instead of around the arrow nocking point like the other kind of archers do. She didn't have to change arrow spine or anything.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Judd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:02 AM »
I have an injured drawing hand and arthritis (left) and started using a release about 5 years ago.
No reason not to, except if you compete in "Traditional events" you can not score to win, only to participate.
The traditional police will not like it, but do it for yourself.
It has kept me shooting and hunting for 52 yrs. and hopefully many more.
Start with a good quality release (don't buy a WalMart special) so you don't develop bad habits.
It is easier to instill a good habit than to break a bad habit.
I use a wrist release because of my bad fingers, and would advise the same.
A D-loop is the way to go, makes tuning easier and saves on the serving.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
Thanks Judd, that's what I'm thinking - wrist release with a d-loop below nocking point. I would get a decent quality one for sure. Can you shoot with your hand in the same position (palm toward face) as with fingers, or do you need that sort of upside down and backwards, compound style?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:11:48 PM by slowbowjoe »

Offline Judd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
I use the typical compound style, palm away from face.
If you can, my anchor point has become the cock feather touching the tip of my nose.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
You don't have to go to a release if you don't want to. Just draw with your middle and ring  finger under the arrow. Let the first finger lay along the arrow off of the string. You'll do just fine like that with very little learning curve.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
Thanks Judd, that's what I'm thinking - wrist release with a d-loop below nocking point. I would bet a decent quality one for sure. Can you shoot with your hand in the same position (palm toward face) as with fingers, or do you need that sort of upside down and backwards, compound style?
I shoot a wrist style on the other side.  But anchor with my lower thumb knuckle under my ear and trigger with my index.  There was a time I neatly sliced my index finger and with just a few shots I was able to use my middle finger to trigger.
However the method Mr. Lamb mentioned is used by many and would work. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
[email protected] is the email from the Talon, just happened to come across this. I believe there is a post in the sponsor classifieds too.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
Just got in touch with Roger today and ordered one, the address nys land just put up is correct.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:13:37 PM by slowbowjoe »

huntryx

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 07:43:16 AM »
I don't think you can use a Talon w/o your index finger-- it requires thumb pressure against the lower joint of the index to work. Better off with a regular wrist release......I have tried them all due to arthritis!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
Huntryx, thank you for the heads up on that. I already have one on order, so I hope it will work using my middle finger; I did mention to Roger that my index finger wasn't useable.
Also, sent you a PM.

Bisch

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »
I don't think you can use a Talon w/o your index finger-- it requires thumb pressure against the lower joint of the index to work. Better off with a regular wrist release......I have tried them all due to arthritis!

I have one also, and this^^^^ is what I was thinking when I first read the thread. I don’t know that the Talon will work for your situation??? But, it’s inexpensive, and already on the way to you, so well worth a try.

I have a friend who shoots with a release. He does not have hand issues, just tried it and prefers it. He swears by it!!!!!

Bisch

Offline Eskanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
Just saw this thread today…As Charlie stated above, you can shoot two under just fine using your middle and ring fingers only. I’ve been shooting like that for about 5 years now and it works great. I started out shooting split but had so much trouble with finger pinch hurting my index finger at full draw, I started using less and less pressure on that finger until eventually I was just shooting two under. At anchor my index finger is laying out straight across my cheekbone, basically pointing toward the target. I still use my split tabs on the string as normal but just with no pressure at all on the upper portion of the tab. I do this on all my bows without a problem, including the toelke whip I bought from you about 5 years ago (still shooting it and still love it!). Hope you can find something that works out for you.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »
Eskanto, your post is much appreciated, and I am genuinely glad to hear that Whip is working out well for you. Right now we have another Whip, and a Pika, on the wall.

The endorsement for two under, first hand, is also encouraging. I've tried it a few times this week; my hand and arm are still a little week so I did not get a fair assessment yet, but sounds like it could work if I keep at it. May need to drop a few pounds on the bow. Hope I can adapt to this rather than a release aid.

Any tips for re-tuning for two under, particularly nock point?

Offline Eskanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
Joe, I never really had to change much to maintain tune going to two under. Maybe 1/16th” higher than before but all my toelkes are very forgiving bows even at different brace height, nock height, arrow material, weight, etc. Right now my upper nock height is 11/16ths above the shelf level. Used to be 5/8ths for a long time. My anchor is the same and my draw length actually is a bit longer with two under as opposed to when I shoot split, not sure why but it works for me. Never changed any other aspects in tuning and I’ve never had a problem with it until last year when I injured my middle finger at work, which takes the bulk of the weight on the string. After about a month not shooting, I used rubber tubing resistance bands to help restrengthen the hand, shoulder and back and ease the finger back into strength before shooting again. I started out shooting lighter weight for a while until it strengthened up fully. I did start and continue toying with three under as an ‘in case’ solution which takes some of the pressure off my middle finger, tho I know that won’t work for you.  Hope all this helps and hope you can get back to shooting again soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©