3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke Whistler Vs. Chinook  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Whistler Vs. Chinook
« on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:03 PM »
Anyone have one or both of these bows?  I have talked to Dan a couple of times over the past two weeks and have narrowed it down to these two models.  I like both recurves and longbows about equally.  I don't think he has either one of these models in stock for a lefty to try. Any insight would be awesome

Thanks,
D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:27:57 AM by Petrichor »
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke Whistler Vs. Chinook
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
I would say it just depends on whether you want a longbow or recurve really.  I haven't shot the Whistler but I did have a chinook with the bow bolt takedown and it was a super nice bow. Very smooth and quiet. Mine had the regular grip which didn't suit my hand but think I would've liked the classic grip way better
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:55:28 AM »
Haven't shot the Chinook, but I did test drive a Whistler for awhile. Excellent bow, typical Toelke quality. I really liked the grip, as well as the feel of the shot. Fast, quiet, and pretty. Ended up with a Pika a year or so later, which is very, very similar, just shorter. In hindsight, I would have gone for the Whistler, only because I think (but can't say with certainty) the length might provide a slightly easier draw.
Nineworlds9 and Biathlon man have a lot of experience with both the Chinook and Pika. I think you can consider the Pika and Whistler equally for the comparison, maybe those guys will chime in. If not, a little searching here will give you lots of good feedback. Don't know if you'll find a direct comparison, but you will find plenty on both bows. The Chinook is always said to be as good as it gets among it's class of recurves.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:20 AM »
i have owed a Whistler, chinook, and a lynx. i think the chinook is one of the nicest bows ive shot. for some reason the Whistler didn't blow my skirt up. i shot  a pika and liked it better. the newer chinooks seem to have slightly more pre load in the early part of the draw. Absolutely the quietest recurve ive ever shot. Ive currently migrated to 3 pc. bows. have the lynx with recurve and longbow limbs. the lynx longbow is very comparable to his whip design. if you have a long draw i think you could draw a Whistler to the moon. i would personally choose a 56" pika over the Whistler. My chinook was a 58 and was plenty smooth.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
I have owned both.   I ended up keeping the Whistler over the Chinook, it just fits me better and you don't give up much in the way of speed and it is just a touch quieter, not that the Chinook is loud by any means.   I prefer the Whistler over the Pika too, seemed to be a little bit smoother and more accurate for me.  I like the classic grip.  You have a tough decision ahead of you but you can't really go wrong with a Toelke.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
Just save yourself the stress and buy both!  :goldtooth:
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 02:52:54 PM »
Pika is definitely in the running too. When I originally called dan I told him I was interested in the super d. Well when he found out I have a 26 inch draw he said I would not be happy with performance. He said bow doesnt really sing at that draw. He recommended the pika, Whistler, and chinook stating that if I was in his shop a pika was the first bow he'd put in my hands. He also told me that for the last year and a half he hasn't been able to put his 58 inch Whistler down and that's what he's using.

I definitely would just go with his recommendation but I just had a pretty bad experience with a 52 inch custom bow (different maker not going into it) and well I'm gunshy on shorties at the moment.

So pika, whistler, and chinook. Boy this is easy.  One thing I do have figured out is I will be going classic grip.   
Fred Bear

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:20:11 AM »
Thanks for responses I'll be giving Dan a call in about a week to place an order for a chinook. Got my woods picked and will post pics when it arrives.
Fred Bear

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »
26" draw - I'd leave out the whistler. I've got a 58" and 60" and I draw a solid 30". The 58 feels like it could go a hair further and the 60 is a couple inches beyond that till it stacks. Definitely Pika for you on the longbow side. On YouTube, Silver Archery does some Chrono testing with the Pika and it does as good or better than one of their recurves. For your draw, a 54 or 56 Pika might maximize your potential. Not sure on the 58 Chinook, sorry, I've heard nothing but good things though.

I did try out a 60" Chinook that was 50@28. With my 30" draw, that arrow came off like a rocket which I wasn't used to. Would have to go 50@30 for one of those.

My 58" Whistler, which might be comparable to the 54 or 56 Pika for you, is a great shooter, fast!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:23:53 AM »
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »
26" draw - I'd leave out the whistler. I've got a 58" and 60" and I draw a solid 30". The 58 feels like it could go a hair further and the 60 is a couple inches beyond that till it stacks. Definitely Pika for you on the longbow side. On YouTube, Silver Archery does some Chrono testing with the Pika and it does as good or better than one of their recurves. For your draw, a 54 or 56 Pika might maximize your potential. Not sure on the 58 Chinook, sorry, I've heard nothing but good things though.

I did try out a 60" Chinook that was 50@28. With my 30" draw, that arrow came off like a rocket which I wasn't used to. Would have to go 50@30 for one of those.

My 58" Whistler, which might be comparable to the 54 or 56 Pika for you, is a great shooter, fast!

Thanks for reply. Dan specifically recommended whistler as he said it comes alive at 25" but obviously can handle longer draws. Though I have a short draw I currently shoot 66 inch longbows.

The pika definitely seems like a logical choice. I know not all bows are created equal but I am literally coming off a bad experience with a new short longbow I ordered just last September and already am selling. I feel if I was going to order the pika I'd have to do a serious test drive before buying. Again he doesnt seem to have anything in lefty at moment to do so. Otherwise I'd gladly do the test drive program.

The chinook seems like a safe choice perhaps the pika can be an act 2 sort of thing if I like first bow.  I definitely hit the YouTube up and those reviews you mentioned were awesome. It was great to get a closer look at the bolt takedown.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:02:31 AM by Petrichor »
Fred Bear

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 08:15:20 AM »
I agree that the safe choice may be the Chinook. If you want a recurve then I'd go for that. They definitely have a different feel and are way harder to string up in the field and more prone to limb twist. Those are my own personal apprehensions though. Thousands of successful recurve shooters out there. Their bow bolt system is sweet! Chinook will probably give you more fps per #. I still want one though 🤣
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:33 AM »
I agree that the safe choice may be the Chinook. If you want a recurve then I'd go for that. They definitely have a different feel and are way harder to string up in the field and more prone to limb twist. Those are my own personal apprehensions though. Thousands of successful recurve shooters out there. Their bow bolt system is sweet! Chinook will probably give you more fps per #. I still want one though 🤣

I dont know what it's called. But there is a tip stringer out there that literally is like a pocket on both sides that makes recurve stringing a breeze. I'll have to see if I can find mine.
Fred Bear

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
That stringer, that's a good one. The one Dan sends is good as well. I was able to string my SS by hand, like my longbows using my foot, but that Chinook I tried out, there was no way I was going to risk using the foot. Way too bendy for that.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »
That stringer, that's a good one. The one Dan sends is good as well. I was able to string my SS by hand, like my longbows using my foot, but that Chinook I tried out, there was no way I was going to risk using the foot. Way too bendy for that.

Yeah it looks like it has some nice curves. :bigsmyl:
Excited to make that call next Thursday
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©