3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schafer Silvertip owners  (Read 590 times)

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Schafer Silvertip owners
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
I would like to hear from owners of Silvertip Bows out there and tell me how they like them, their experiences etc.  I'm looking into buying one. Thanks
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schafer Silvertip owners
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I got mine brand new about 3 months ago.  It was a tough wait for 11 months, but it was worth it.

I have been shooting the Silvertip a good bit lately, and I have found it to be a great bow.  Smooth draw (feels lighter than it is), good speed, and excellent finish work.  Mine has the checkering, and I think it helps with a consistent grip.  

I did the try-out program before I ordered.  i would recommend that.  

I hate to mention it, but I also have a brand new Black Widow recurve.  I have been shooting both the Widow and Silvertip over the past few weeks.  They are the exact same poundage.  At this point I think the Silvertip is a SLIGHTLY better bow.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I don't think you will ever regret getting one!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Have been shooting one for the last 3 years and it is hands down my favorite bow I have owned or shot. Been shooting recurves for 20+ years, have owned bighorns, robertsons, brackenburys and mostly shot wes wallace bows. I've shot widows, blacktails and some others.
  The grip (medium) fits my hand perfect and eliminates any torque. Never shot it through the chrono but it has excellent speed. Wood and finish is excellent. I highly recommend the checkered grip which is a bargain for the cost.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
Just sold mine.  Excellent bow and I only let it go because I needed to move down in weight.  I too had the checkered grip and really liked it.  The dymond-wood riser's mass gives great stability and the grip felt good.  The speed seemed on par with a Widow PSA that I had, not a barn-burner but no slouch either.  I did not chrono so this is subjective.  I know that it did seem to pound the bag hard though.  One thing I did come to appreciate was the smoothness of the draw.  Not too much pre-load and no stack.  Don't expect it too feel "10 pounds lighter" because that's hype in my opinion, but if you want a smooth, well designed, hard hitting and pretty much tough as nails bow this is it.  That's an un-glossed fact.  There are a few other well known bows in this price range that I would not comfortably say these things about.  I agree you should try one and that you won't regret it.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »
I own a Schafer Silvertip take-down recurve and I love it! It's draw is very smooth. It's a pretty fast bow. I love my Silvertip! I'd highly recommend Silvertip bows! You won't be disapointed!  ;)  
Dave makes some amazing bows and his craftsmanship is second to none in my opinion!  ;)   :D  I hope this helps your decision!     :bigsmyl:    :campfire:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Don't have a Silvertip recurve,but I do have a 2pc Silvertip Longbow.I'd have to say it's the smoothest,quietest bow I've shot.I have a 3pc Silvertip Longbow on order now also...........only about 6 months left till I should recieve it.I've sold most of my other bows now and I'm going to TRY to make these my only bows............unless I can run into a 1pc Silvertip Longbow when I have the $$$.I've shot quite a few bows now and believe I have found MY bow.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:38:00 AM »
I have 2 t/d recurves and have a longbow due pretty soon.As far as recurves go,I'm pretty much done on everything else--I'll stick with the 'tips.When my longbow gets here,I'll have to see how it compares to my PL's
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
excellent bow and customer service!  

for whatever reason silvertips have lately been labeled as "slow" but i don't agree. they are probably not the fastest bow but definitely above average imo.

they really shine when it comes to smootness, silence, and stability...

world class bow        :thumbsup:

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
pieces of art. it changed me to one bow man though I very seriously considering the 3 piece LB. The checkered grip is a must in my opinion. THough I am not a speed person I have found my "TIp" on par with anything else I have owned or have shot. It of course subjective to the individual but this is the one bow I picked up and was driving tacks with it immediately.Call Dave or Beth it will be worth your time.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
I have yet to find a bow that I  would rather hunt with. It is my go to hunting bow. The grip is second to none, checkered option is a must as is fast flight. I find it above average in speed but not like my Palmer. If it came down to owning 1 bow, hands down it would be a Silvertip for me.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I cannot tell you how many I own , just in case my wjfe is cruising this site! LOL Great bows , been shooting a 'Tip since my first one in 1982. You will love Beth and Dave!!

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Anybody got some pics of the 3 piece longbows?

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Check in the Sponsors section,I believe it is.......Beth posted some pics when they first started selling them,after replacing the 2pc.Beautiful looking bows,can't wait to get my hands on mine!!I'll be sure and post some "MAN LAW" pics,sorry couldn't resist after that thread I just read,of my 3pc as soon as it arrives..................in about 6 months,hopefully sooner.There's a 10 month waiting list,at least back in Dec when I ordered mine......

Here ya go,check this link......

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000470
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Steveoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I recieved a tip for my 40th, put down the compound and have never picked it up again.  
It is the only recurve I have ever owned and I cannot find any reason to try another, unless It is another weitght silvertip. have shot 2 versions of the long bow 1pc 3pc, loved both, I may purchase one that matches my recurve just because.

oz

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Like Sergio, I've also been shooting "Tip's" since the mid eighties. Over the years I've tried others and I own a Trails End (great bow), however I really like Silvertips.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Silvertips are the BOMB! Great bows and customer service! Craftsmanship beyond compare! Dave will make anything you can dream up in wood combos, and horn, etc...smoothest drawing recurve out there IMHO....fast, with killer checkered grips.  :thumbsup:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
I tried a TON of recurves before I found the Silvertip.  I don't bother shooting any other recurves anymore, I'm set.  I do have a twin ordered right now if anything happens.  Should have it sometime this summer.

I don't know if this is fast or slow, but I happened to be at a shop that had a chrono the other day and my 55#@28" (29.5" draw) shot:

440g arrow--208fps
650g arrow--179fps

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
I appreciate all of the feedback, I have been in touch via e-mail with Beth and Dave. They have sent me a ton of photos. I did not know that you could try one out before you bought. I will have to inquire about that. And yes their turn around time is still 10 mos from what they tell me. I researched many custom bows but I am very intrigued by what I see and read on the silvertip!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
First year with my tip. Got a doe also. I learned alot this year hunting with a recurve. Made some mistakes but most important I learned from those mistakes quickly. I love my tip, shoots smooth quiet very little hand shock. Its 58" long 55lb@27" I also have a set of limbs @ 63lb@27" I can tell the differance from the two believe me. Good luck.
Bruce   :thumbsup:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©