3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help with efoc build  (Read 3496 times)

Offline craigski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with efoc build
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
I turned the blade around backwards in the harbor freight saw. It sands rather than bites into the shaft. Takes a second longer to cut but after building a little jig for my arrows they come out square and no splinters.

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 03:29:27 AM »
That is great info,  thank you sir.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
I bought very thin kerf abrasive cutoff blades for my Harbor Freight saw 4-5 years ago.  I  think I got several and still on the first one. 
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »
I bought very thin kerf abrasive cutoff blades for my Harbor Freight saw 4-5 years ago.  I  think I got several and still on the first one.
Do you remember where you got them?  So I can order both at once.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »
Sorry Tyler,  don't remember where I ordered them from.  I've got the package at home but I'm traveling and won't be home until mid April.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
You are probably pulling 48 or 49 pounds at your draw length.

Here are some light but stiff shafts to consider so you can get EFOC without getting an arrow that is super heavy.

Carbon Tech Cheetah shafts are very light. With a 400 shaft, 125 gr brass insert and a 200 to 300 grain head you should be over 30% FOC and still around or under 550 grains or so. You can buy these shafts from Lancaster Archery one at a time so you don't have to invest in a half dozen just to experiment.

Gold Tip Velocity shafts are also very light, but not as light as the CT Cheetah shafts. A 500 shaft with a total of 250 grains up front should get you in the ball park with a weight a bit under 500 grains and an FOC of about 25%. Again, Lancaster Archery sells these shafts one at a time so you don't have to invest a lot to experiment.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
You are probably pulling 48 or 49 pounds at your draw length.

Here are some light but stiff shafts to consider so you can get EFOC without getting an arrow that is super heavy.

Carbon Tech Cheetah shafts are very light. With a 400 shaft, 125 gr brass insert and a 200 to 300 grain head you should be over 30% FOC and still around or under 550 grains or so. You can buy these shafts from Lancaster Archery one at a time so you don't have to invest in a half dozen just to experiment.

Gold Tip Velocity shafts are also very light, but not as light as the CT Cheetah shafts. A 500 shaft with a total of 250 grains up front should get you in the ball park with a weight a bit under 500 grains and an FOC of about 25%. Again, Lancaster Archery sells these shafts one at a time so you don't have to invest a lot to experiment.
Awesome,  this is exactly the type of advice I was looking for.   The arrow choice is mind boggling.

Thank you sir

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
Tyler, I just did a Tradgang search and found this:

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=8594.msg136621#msg136621.

Then went to ebay and found this: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x1-32x3-8-Abrasive-Cut-Off-Wheel-Arrow-Saw-Blade-QTY-3-FREE-SHIPPING/174104056211?hash=item2889691193:g:ovYAAOSwoydWisd-

Not sure if these are the exact ones I have without being home but they look similar.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »
Perfect thank you,  I want sure what to look for.   I'm away working on a pipeline so I'm slowly putting together a plan and an order for when I get home.

One more question,  are micro diameter arrows ok because I found some with a ridiculously low gpi.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
Yes they work great.  I shoot Black Eagle,  X-Impacts that are .166 ID.  The key with any shaft of course is getting them tuned as good as you can.

Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline skookuminak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »
I've been playing  with this for quite a few years now and have currently settled on the Valkyrie sleeve/adaptor system with a variety of broad-heads,  usually Tuffheads. Valkyrie is expensive but compared to any other light shaft system I find that I break them far less than other light shaft/heavy head/insert combinations. I've shot them into heavy bone on moose and mountain goats and smashed through the spine of a big blacktail  earlier this year plus lots of oblique and direct hits on wood and rock  while stumping and still haven't had a failure on the front end.  I've played with some of the Ethics archery products as well and they were good but not quite as good. Best of luck!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
Thanks for your post Paul, a question.  Originally,  Brent had specialized threads on the Valkyrie system that only fit his broadheads and field points.  Does Valkyrie use standard 8-32 threads now?

I have looked at both Valkyrie and Ethics systems but haven't tried them yet as my X-Impact shafts seem to be very durable by themselves.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline skookuminak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
The valkyrie sleeves still require heads that use his proprietary system. He does make some broadheads that fit 8-32's but, in my opinion,  the real benefit of Valkyrie stuff lies in the sleeve/pin combination that creates a really tough front end. What I do to save cost and utilize other heads that I like is buy the Valkyrie broadhead adaptors and then put mount my glue-on head of choice. I've done that with Tuffhead, Abowyer, and Grizzly and had good luck aligning all of them them. I still swallow hard at the cost but they are really durable.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »
Thanks Paul, good info. 
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Online 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 09:12:37 AM »
Victory makes some great ultra lite gpi shafts.  Those would be my go to if I was going to build a UEFOC arrow.  Right now I'm running about 22% Foc and they're tuned and work great.  If I draw one of these elk tags then I will still be  shooting for a 550gr arrow but with higher FOC
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
This turned into a great thread. I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed,  I got a lot to get me started now.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 06:37:38 PM »
Yep.....great stuff.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 09:56:04 PM »
Well I took the plunge tonight.   I bought a fletching tool, a saw,  feathers etc and decided to go with victory RIP xv with a gpi of 5.9 in a 400 spine.
I also ordered inserts and footings from ethics archery and a set of test field points in multiple weights.
[/size][/color]
Itll take a while but when I start making progress I'll report back.
[/size][/color]
Thanks again everyone[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
Really sad that no heavy head sponsors even respond to thiis thread, or the others that have been running for weeks. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline BearBandit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
I didn't even think of checking the sponsor's,  if any of them had chimed in I probably would have ended up a customer.   On the plus side my stuff is at the border so when it clears it shouldn't be too much longer to my door.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©