3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: want a D style bow Hills or R/D suggestions?  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
want a D style bow Hills or R/D suggestions?
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:08:12 PM »
Got an itch of a light mass weight and long D style bow   66-68".   Been thinking hard on  a HH legend stick.   But theres also the Toelke super D.    I hear northern mists are pretty great to  straight limb or rd but  the wait time would kill me.    Suggestions appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:45:44 PM by Ari_Bonn »

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: want a D style bow Hills or R/D suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:14:38 PM »
I had two Toelke Super Ds and wasn't impressed in the least with either of them. Thumpy suckers and the grips were round and wallowed around in the hand. If you gripped and shot them like a recurve it may be the bow for you. I know other folks rave about them, which is why I made sure to try two.  :dunno: IMO, if you want a Hill style bow, these would be my last choice. Either get a Whip, or get a Hill style bow. Just how i see it.  :knothead:

I shoot and have had all kinds of straight limbed Hill style bows. Had almost all of the Northern Mist models and I don't think you could do better than one of those. The Classic is my favorite, but if you are a little gunshy about an all-out straight limbed bow, his Superior with a Hill style grip is an awesome shooter with zero handshock or bad manners. I have an American as well and in my opinion the backset is a little too much. It's fast no doubt, but more twitchy than my others. As for lead time, Steve updated his stock bow list a couple days ago. 

The Howard Hill Archery bows have been good shooters in the ones that I have tried. Not speed demons, but generally mild mannered and forgiving. All of mine were straight profile. If it were me I'd steer clear of the ones with osage in the core, the Owl I had was the least pleasant of the ones I tried. A plus for HHA is they have a very quick turnaround as well. I think a fella would be quite happy with a Legend Stick, Cheetah, Wesley Special or a Big Five. 

Whatever you choose, be sure and get a bow to match your draw length. Long enough so it doesn't stack, but not so long that you don't get the limbs bending well and end up with a dog. Longer limbs have to be thicker (heavier) to be the same draw weight (stiffness) as a shorter limb, so I like to stay just as long as necessary without any more. Bow design and limb profile will also dictate this, so ask the bowyer. I draw 27" and on most straight or backset bows 66" is just right for me. In string follow I drop down to 64".

But everyone has their preferences! 

"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »
I have both and like both. My preference is the Hill style longbow, but I can't really give a solid reason for liking it more than my R/D bows. I have 7 Hill style bows and 5 R/D bows. They all shoot really well when I do my part. My suggestion to you is to try to shoot both types, if possible, till you can get a feel for what works best for you. You will find lots of people who can give lots of reasons why they prefer one or the other, but as long as it feels good and performs well for you, go with that bow that you, and you alone, like best. Over time, you may feel the need to have both. There is no wrong choice.
Sam

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
Yes Steve has a longer wait time for his bows than does Craig.  I know Steve’s “in stock” list of bows is not up to date.  It would be worth the call to see if he has what you want. 

That said, a HH LB is hard to beat and with an incredibly short wait time it’s in your paws in no time. 

Both are beautiful and owning (and having owned) several of each you really can’t go wrong.  I’ve owned a whip or two but never a super D. 
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Eskanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
Super D is my first choice… it is my favorite bow by far. Quiet, smooth, stable, no hand shock. I love my whips but the superD has something special. I have owned a mohawk sparrow hawk that was also an excellent bow, tho it is much more heavily built with heavier mass weight and a bit of a thump to the shot. I just recently bought a used lightweight lefty Northern Mist Baraga to use when my right shoulder is bothering me too much(I normally shoot right handed). It is very smooth and quiet as well with no hand shock, with a slight bit of deflex coming out of the riser and about the same reflex as the super D, which has no deflex, only slight reflex towards the last foot or so of the limbs. Can’t speak for other makes of d bows. I know everybody fits differently with different bows so your experience may not be the same as mine. Attached a couple fotos of the superD and Baraga side by side... superD on the left(with micarta riser)... both bows are 62". Hope this helps.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:05 PM »
Ari
Great advice in the posts above. Make a few calls to Steve(NM) and Craig (HHA) and ask some questions. 

Good Luck with your choice
Deno
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:04:53 AM by Deno »
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online SteelyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 11:45:32 PM »
Check your PM's

SteelyDan

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:17 AM »
Their are so many choices in Hill style or ASL.Plus many design choices even within those parameters.

In the mild R&D I would look at Northern Mist Superior,Dwyer Original and the Great Northern Critter Gitter is excellent.Might even consider the Great Northern Bushbow.But its got a wider limb and and does not come in 66 or 68 inches.But its a mild R&D with D shape strung up and offered in 64 inches.Yellowstone makes one as well I believe and Kimsha Mowattoman.

I think the Super D was redesigned with more reflex a few years back.I heard it was an improvement over the original Super D which I had.I have not had the newer version.So you need to know about opinions on the newer version vs the older one.

Robertson might have one.I had quite a few Berry's,also Fredericks,Thundersticks original longbow and Mohawk originals and Mohawk Sparrowhawks.I think all are really good bows.Some are not made anymore unfortunately.

I hunted and shot 3-D with this style of bow for years back in the day.I cut my teeth on them.I do like them quite a bit.

I just sold a Mohawk Sparrowhawk.Very solid stick,strong shooter.

The Wes Wallace Royal longbow is nice but show slight reflex strung.Classy looking bow though.Dont forget the the Fox Traditional longbow.He builds nice bows for sure and his 2 piece is sweet.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05:40 AM »
I’m a big Northern Mist fan, when my next one is done I’ll have one for everyday of the week. I was on Steve’s website this past weekend and he has updated it with quite a few new bows.  Good luck in your search.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 08:26:23 AM »
I have owned a number of bows by Dan Toelke and have ended up shooting nothing but his Super Ds. Like all his bows they are beautifully made of beautiful woods and I find them to be smooth, fast, practically nothing felt in the hand at the shot, more of a pulse than even a slight thump and they are ridiculously quiet.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
I have always been happy with HH bows.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 02:49:45 PM »
I am a die hard Yellowstone 3 piece takedown Longbow but I have a Mohawk Sparrowhawk one piece that I am very fond of I wish Vance would get tired of retirement and start building them again.  anyway looks like Northern Mist has stock bows.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »
http://www.libertybows.net/hill-style-bow-s.html
I have Allen's Liberty Edge, like it a lot.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
My current favorite is a Dwyer Original.  Its a D style with a slight reflex deflex design. My favorite ASL is a Hill Redman. The Dwyer is what I shoot the most.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:46:19 PM »
Sorry if I missed....what weight?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 12:00:11 AM »
50-60#   maybe 65

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
For a hill style i really like the northern mist shelton. One of the smoothest longbows i have had and is a pure joy to shoot. On the flip side when it comes to mild r/d bows i am a complete sucker for great northern. You have the option there of the traditional longbow which has that more hill style feel without the thump some describe. Then there is the critter gitter which seems to have widespread love and is shorter than the traditional longbow. Lastly as mentiooned above is the bushbow. It does have wider limbs and is offered in 60-64" but when strung has a nice D profile and is very smooth.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
This one is my bushbow. It can be made with a index locater handle like shown or a straight broomstick style handle.

Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 08:10:45 PM »
7 Lakes longbows makes a Heck of a nice D shape bow for a good price . He has several in stock
" Live long and prosper "

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »
I can recommend  7 Lakes also. Have 2 of his Long Nights. Very nice bows. Easy to talk to also. Prices are great too.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©