3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blinds & Shoot-thru netting: Anything adverse for the traditional hunter ?  (Read 346 times)

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
Just received a new Ameri-step penthouse blind as a gift.  (what a woman ....)

Can't wait to be hunting in this thing but wanted to get some input about the shoot-thru netting.
Has anyone had any negative experiences shooting thru the windows or should I plan on having them open ?

Thanks for the advice !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
As long as you are using a cut on contact broadhead you will be fine shooting through the netting. If you are hunting deer I would shoot through the netting if you are after turkeys you can leave the window open. I was told on turkey hunting to wear a black shirt and facemask when leaving the window open and is the only thing that I have tried and it has worked for me. The turkeys don't seem to mind the open window deer on the other hand will pick up on the black hole.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a friend that has had a hard time with the netting. This guy is a excellant shot and has for the last two years been shooting over or high on antelope. It can be difficult to focus for an instinctive shooter thru the mesh. Practice shooting thru the mesh then before the season replace it and you should be fine.

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
I think it affects arrow flight.  Do extensive shooting through it before committing to it on a hunt.  Even if it only changes the point of impact by 2 or 3 inches, that would be too much for me.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
haven't noticed any effects on arrow flight but it definitely affects my depth perception and therefore my instinctive shooting
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
I killed a deer, fox, raccon, and squirrel from my Ameristep Penthouse this past season--all shots were through the netting, including one Ace hex-blunt.  If it affects arrow flight, I can't see it, and I can't tell it affected penetration any.

It can bugger your depth perception, and it gets dark quicker inside the blind than outside.  Like anything else, a little practice goes a long way.

Chad

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
A hex blunt through netting ? .... wow.  That's cool to know !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Everyone says the netting is fine, but I shoot a longbow, and Archer's Paradox is still happening when the arrow goes through. That doesn't work for me. It's fine with my center-shot recurves.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Out to 20 yards or so (as far as I've tried it), no problem....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have never had any trouble shooting thru the mesh as far as arrow flight is concerned. I have both a penthouse and a DB 360, the only trouble you will run into is not letting the mesh mess with your head when you first start shooting thru it. With some practice you will do fine, if your hunting turkeys you wont need the mesh, they will pay no attention to the black hole effect like deer will. I have shot  my Hills and recurve out of my blinds with no ill effects from the mesh.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Shot a Hex blunt through mine several times--only connected once, but that wasn't due to the netting messing with my arrow--I just plain missed.  

The 'coon, deer, and squirrel were pretty close shots, but the fox was about 20 yds.

All my shots were with a longbow--cut to center, but not past (slightly shy of center with a strike plate)--with wood arrows.

Chad

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Last year I shot a recurve and longbow through the nettting and had no problems at all.

Tried field tips for practice and didn't have much luck.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
Probably stay away for those Gobbler Guillotine and Magnus Bullhead style heads if shooting through netting. Could get bloody inside the blind I would think.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Just thought about this--if the netting isn't pulled tight and secured on all sides of the windows, that might make a difference.  There's velcron on all four sides of the windows on my blind, and I keep the netting pulled tight.  The Ace Hex Blunt flew through the netting straight enough to put a perfect double-lung on a squirrel.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©