3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D arrow  (Read 872 times)

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
3D arrow
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:44:09 AM »
I never cared about 3 arrows but lately I realized that I ain,t competitive at all with 10-11 gpp,lol. So I am looking for a good 500 with a gpi around 6-7; what do you use?
Thanks
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3D arrow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »
I shoot what I hunt with, minus broadheads of course, and of the TBOT courses I've shot none of them were set up where standard hunting rigs/equipment couldn't do the job.  My bows are set up in the 9.5 to 10.5gpp range.
I'm not out to win every match I shoot.  Would I like to be in contention or at least in the mix, sure.  But 3D is about more than a buckle or my name at the top of a sheet of paper for me.  It's about testing myself in non standard shooting situations on targets at varying distances.  It's about shots more realistic to a hunting situation that help me be better when that real shot comes.  So I want that to be with my hunting rigs.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »
I've been shooting Easton flat-lines for the past 3 years.  Went to buy some more and they quit making them. 
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
I would check with your bow manufacturer for recommended arrow weight to avoid warranty issues. I shoot arrow weights of 9.8-12 GPP of bow weight for 3D or hunting. I don't worry about 3D scores, only hunting scores.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
I would check with your bow manufacturer for recommended arrow weight to avoid warranty issues. I shoot arrow weights of 9.8-12 GPP of bow weight for 3D or hunting. I don't worry about 3D scores, only hunting scores.
That,s what I have always done but this time I wanna try something different.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
Just me but at the distances I've shot 3d competitions at, I can't imagine there being much difference with such light arrows. And I would second the motion to check with your manufacturer to make sure you don't run into a warranty issue, arrows that light are hard on bows.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
Check out the shafts listed at Lancaster.  You should be able to find a 500 spine in the weight range your looking for.  should be able to drop to 8 gpp for sure.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
Gold tip velocity XT are light but rather strong. If you add a tophat steel collar ( protector ring in diam is 7.30 mm for GT velocity .500) they are really durable.

In spine .340 they can kill stuff too  :goldtooth:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:57:06 PM by hybridbow hunter »
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
Your own experience will reveal your needs.

Two of the top elite 3D shooters shoot 11.5+ gpp

My own personal best, a 9.5 average, was when shooting a 11.75 gpp arrow. For me, my marking errors are magnified when shooting light arrows....Am shooting 11.2 gpp this 3D season.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Check out big jims dark timber shafts--- should get you in the ballpark.  As said, at most of our 3d distances i like @10 gpp.  It is more natural for me to hold a bit high at further distances than to hold very low at closer distances...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 06:28:34 PM »
 I just bought a couple doz Beemans on sale at 3Rivers. 500 spine, 7.? grains per inch. I made up a doz with 175 grain points, came out to 9gpp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©