3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Latest model Bear Paw bow - very disappointed!!  (Read 2653 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Latest model Bear Paw bow - very disappointed!!
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:38:04 AM »
Things are a bit tight here in Australia at the moment with bush fires, floods, this new plague and the corresponding low exchange rate.  I was crazy last year and sold my beautiful Predator Recurve.  A new one was going to cost my over 1,200 AUD, so I had to look at something cheaper for the meanwhile.  My dealer in Australia said that Bear Paw had a brand new model out called the 'Chapman'.  It's very similar to the 'Mohawk', but it's only a 58" recurve and I think it's made in China so only has a 2 yr warranty, not the 30yr one.  However, it still carries the 'Bear Paw' Logo.  I ordered one and it took about a month to arrive.  When I strung it up today I was bitterly disappointed.  I always check my new bows for alignment.  I leave the bow un- strung, and pull the string (tip to tip), across the back of the bow.  I can then look down and sight along to see that the string cuts down the centre of each limb, bisects the centre of each limb bolt and follows the centre cut of the riser.

Man - with over 25 custom bows over 25 years this was the worst nightmare I have ever seen.  There is a lot of play in the limbs, where they sit on the locating pins, and can be wobbled laterally quit a bit.  The limbs wobble side to side, until the bolts nip them up tight.  If I sight down the bow each limb tip is heading off centre by as much as 3/4" at the tip.  When I sight down the string it intersects one limb bolt, but the other one is over 1/2 inch offside.  These clowns must have had their eyes shut first thing Monday morning, when they drilled the limb pocket holes.  I'm mortified and don't know what to to do??  If I contact the dealer there will be a long wait sending it back to the supplier in Europe or whatever, and with quality control like this, who knows what I'll be sent in return.  I also have to pay the postage apparently.

I've always read great things about Bear Paw bows, but man I would never touch one with a 40 ft pole now.  I should have listened to my old Grandad's mantra "Old Chineeee proverb say, cheap thing be no good - good thing be no cheap"!

Sutto

(You can't see in the photo but the string is lined up with each limb tip.  The tape on the bow is where I was drawing arrows for my own reference).
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Latest model Bear Paw bow - very disappointed!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
Wow! That’s got to be maddening.  It makes me realize how good I have it.
I hope things work out somehow.
Gary

BTW what does Suttoman mean?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »
DANG!! What weight and draw length is it?   
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
What you describe and show is totally unacceptable!  Apart from whatever their normal warranty period and policy may be, you should be able to send that back for a full refund without having to pay shipping, the same as if a truck had run over it before it was delivered to you.  If it were me, I would stick to my guns on this one, but in the end, if they won't make good on it, I would take what I could get and never buy anything from that company again.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »
Suttoman

You have every right to be pissed.  That bow is plain dangerous!  I would NOT draw an arrow with it - it might come apart in a bad way.

I never buy stuff made in China unless there is no alternative.

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:15:44 PM »
What does Suttoman mean?

Click on it and see.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
Suttoman is just part of my surname - 'Sutton' - with the 'o' off and 'man' on the end.  Yea this is so disappointing.  It still cost me $500 AUD and I excitedly waited a whole month for this thing and then I'm handed this piece of crap.  You guys in the States have it so lucky with lots of cheap bows available and many quality bowyers.  I'm going to write to the dealer today - he seems a nice guy and this wasn't his fault - he never made the bow.  I'll see if we can sort something out.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
Is that bow made in Germany?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
Sorry your having issues with your new bow. It has a nice look to it, I like the looks of the Shedua riser and the maple and black glass limbs. But there does seem to be a few issues with it. I hope you can return it and find a suitable replacement. Good bows are easy to find here in the States..

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:35 PM »
Didn’t see that model listed on the BearPaw Archery website. Didn’t see it on some of there distributors...at least the few I checked.

Does show up on a couple of websites if you specially search that “bearpaw Chapman “

So...maybe a knockoff?

The few people I know with bearpaw bodkin quicksticks....and one Mohawk, love them. From what I have seen fit and finish...on par with other production bows (bear, Martin, etc)
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
Iv'e just been on the phone to my distributor in Australia (Archery Bug).  Dave is a great guy and was mortified to see how bad it was.  He's going to contact the dealer and get it sorted.  Meanwhile he's going to give me another brand new bow to use/keep.  Can't ask for much better than that.  The bow he is sending me is a Junxing F175.

Sutto

Online hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 02:52:23 AM »
No one should forget the principles of "the common law of business balance"
From RUSKIN. Although that quote is from the 19th century it is so true

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »
I would've done exactly what McDave said,but since your guy is going to take such good care of you just go with it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
That is a shame you have to go through a bunch of hoops for a new bow. I got a White Feather Lark riser made in China, sold through a distributor in England. $189 delivered to my door in 3 days. Only issue I have had is the limb alignment screws needed a little “locktite “. I put my TT limbs on it and for under $400 I have a bow that is quite, shoots better than me and looks good.
  I also wonder if you got a “knock off”.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:00:33 PM »
Thanks mr Gunner for the comment.  No I wondered that too, but I talked to my dealer here in Auss and he gets everything from Merlin Archery in England.  From what I understand they are a very big and reputable dealer and sell a large selection of Bear Paw and Bodnik stuff - I would be surprised if they sold knockoffs.  Unfortunately it is a long holiday weekend here in Western Australia so I won't know until Tuesday exactly what's happening, but my dealer Dave is a very fair guy so I am very certain it will be sorted very quickly.  He is giving me a brand new bow immediately to use in the interim.  I am very happy happy with that.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 11:58:24 PM »
I for one am extremely surprised..... I have never known bear paw bows to be made anywhere but Germany.  Also I am sure if given the chance they would make it right.  My buddy's slick stick delamenated when he left it strung in his jeep in Louisiana.  He was honest and they sent him a new bow free of charge.  I have also personally owned a couple of slick sticks and am planning to buy the Dakota but have not shot any of their new line that only has the two year warranty.  I am dreadfully sorry to hear of your troubles.  I would bet that Bear Paw will make it right once notified of the issue.  Take heart though I can say they are a reputable company to deal with and its better than what just happened to me.  I ordered a custom bow that looks great but doesnt shoot that great for me and I have little to no recourse at all..... Hopefully, you will be flinging arrows before long!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:03:31 AM by Petrichor »
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 04:29:23 AM »
that sucks. hope you get something sorted out.

to add to hybridbow hunter's post-

"the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price"
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 06:00:09 AM »
I am disappointed for you.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
Yea - I'm still very disappointed.  It's getting on for a week and the supplier from Europe still hasn't got back to my guy in Australia, so he can't do anything - so I'm sitting here looking at this wretched thing that I can't shoot.  This is a very very disappointing experience and I'd never touch Bear Paw ever again!!

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 06:00:19 PM »
Yea - I'm still very disappointed.  It's getting on for a week and the supplier from Europe still hasn't got back to my guy in Australia, so he can't do anything - so I'm sitting here looking at this wretched thing that I can't shoot.  This is a very very disappointing experience and I'd never touch Bear Paw ever again!!

Sorry for your experience and resolve to not touch company again. Have had lemons from almost every major company sadly. All those have made it right however and I wouldn't swear off one because of a single specimen. Though unfortunate and unacceptable I would encourage you to give them the opportunity to make it right. Out of curiosity what is your target draw weight and length?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©