3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red Wing Hunter brace  (Read 1873 times)

Offline XXLUNG

• Trad Bowhunter
Red Wing Hunter brace
« on: March 03, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
I just picked up a 1968 Red Wing Hunter that has been refinished and in excellent shape. Can someone tell me the brace height range? It is a 58" bow. Thanks!
Also, should I set it up for off the shelf or install a weather rest?

Offline XXLUNG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red Wing Hunter brace
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
Forgot to mention it is 45@28 and I draw to 26.5".
Any spine recommendations? I am guessing .600 to start.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
In 1967 the Fistmele (brace) that year was 81/4” to 91/4” measuring from deepest part of grip to string.
 That measurement comes directly from the 1967 catalog and seemed the fistmele changed in some of the earlier catalogs where some were 71/4”to 81/4” but the grip design changed somewhat as well.
  I have a 1962 and the grip is different then the 68 .
 Now Wing sometimes showed fistmele being measured off the belly side of sight window to string and some years from the deepest part of grip to string.
I think you will have to try it and see for yourself keeping it somewhere in the general area but I think 8” will probably be about right.
 Here’s my 1962 I got last Thursday and it is at 81/4. The catalog that year recommends 91/2” to 10-1/2” which seems to be a lot but I think 8” to 81/4 works for me.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:15:35 PM by Keefer »

Offline XXLUNG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:05:13 PM »
In 1967 the Fistmele (brace) that year was 81/4” to 91/4” measuring from deepest part of grip to string.
 That measurement comes directly from the 1967 catalog and seemed the fistmele changed in some of the earlier catalogs where some were 71/4”to 81/4” but the grip design changed somewhat as well.
  I have a 1962 and the grip is different then the 68 .
 Now Wing sometimes showed fistmele being measured off the belly side of sight window to string and some years from the deepest part of grip to string.
I think you will have to try it and see for yourself keeping it somewhere in the general area but I think 8” will probably be about right.
 Here’s my 1962 I got last Thursday and it is at 81/4. The catalog that year recommends 91/2” to 10-1/2” which seems to be a lot but I think 8” to 81/4 works for me.

Thanks Keefer, thats a beautiful bow! I will post a pic of mine when i get the string for it and get it setup. I had heard that 8.25 would put it about right for that year.
Yours, if I am right, being a 62 is an original Bob Lee built RedWing which I would love to find someday.

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
Strictly your call on shooting off the shelf or installing a rest.  I have set up with both but shoot off the shelf most of the time.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
What about on a 1959 model?
Sam

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
I have both of mine at about 8 1/2".

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
I have my '64 at around 8". With that dead flat shelf, I'm using a felt furniture pad but am ordering a feather rest.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline XXLUNG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 11:17:50 PM »
Put a B55 string on it this evening and put around 50 shots thru the bow. Started with a brace height of 8-1/2 and has lost by stretch, 5/8"over those shots. It seems to really like a little over 8"...but I am still tinkering with it.  Still deciding on the weather rest or off the shelf. If i choose off the shelf I am definitely going to place the pibot point right above the deepest part of the grip when I build up the shelf. This is a fun, fast and quiet old bow to shoot!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 11:51:36 PM »
Bob Lee was still involved with Wing under Head Ski when your bow was made. Keep it braced at least 8” and you’ll be fine. And no need to put anything under the rug rest for shooting off the shelf, just don’t use a full length piece(cover the shelf). I just use a 1” piece so in fact the rug is your high point. Just place the majority of that 1” piece of rug rest forward of the throat of grip.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline XXLUNG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:46 AM »
Bob Lee was still involved with Wing under Head Ski when your bow was made. Keep it braced at least 8” and you’ll be fine. And no need to put anything under the rug rest for shooting off the shelf, just don’t use a full length piece(cover the shelf). I just use a 1” piece so in fact the rug is your high point. Just place the majority of that 1” piece of rug rest forward of the throat of grip.

Good to know and thanks for the info/help Kelly!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »
What about on a 1959 model?
  The oldest catalog showing the Fistmele /brace is a 1961 catalog where there was a accent strip going through the riser of the Wing hunter and all I can find is “Recommended Fistmele” 91/2”-101/2”... Remember that some of those catalogs back then showed the Fistmele measurement being takin off the sight window belly side to string and some years are like many do here now and That is from the deepest part of grip or where your webbing between thumb and first finger is Seated in the grip to string.
 As many have suggested and Kelly explained around 8” is a good starting point and move upward if need be .
  Another thing you could check is how the string lays in the belly side of the string grooves and if the string is touching beyond that then it may not be enough and giving you a low brace .
 If you twist too much then the string will be showing more of the filed groove under your string.
  I seem to like it
 Just laying near the end or about an 1/8” or 1/4” showing and seems to work for me but everyone is different and these are just starter points.
   It would be nice if every Bowyer would write or include where a good starter point would be on the bows they make but there has been arguments about that in the past.
 I’m just giving you the catalog recommendations on what I read .The other option folks used for many years is in this emoji guy  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©