3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: an unusual problem  (Read 2194 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
an unusual problem
« on: March 06, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
My problem is that no matter what I do I can't get rid of knock high in my arrows. I've tried everything, level knock point to 3/4" high, one nock point, 2 nock points. I've wore my favorite plaid hunting jacket, wore a tin foil hat and tapped my left foot ......all to no avail. It seems as though when I shoot recurves I cannot for the life of me get rid of it. Longbows are another thing. I have a Centaur longbow that tuned like a dream. Am I to the point that I should give up and shoot a feather or brush rest ? I am ready to pull my hair out and I don't have much to spare

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: an unusual problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:38:35 PM »
Do you shoot split or 3 under?
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 08:43:35 PM »
I shoot split finger. I thought about trying 3 under, actually I tried it alittle. Was like trying to throw a ball left handed when your right handed. Might take a bit. Does anyone think that might help ???

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:52 PM »
The most common cause of nock high when shooting split fingers is pressing down on the nock with the index finger.  This causes the shaft to flex down and then spring back into a nock high orientation.  Try lowering your string elbow and pulling back such that there is not an excessive pressure on the nock while drawing the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:53:29 PM »
Thanks I'll try that. All I know is this is giving me fits. Cant figure out why it's not a problem with my longbow

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 11:46:17 PM »
I am pretty sure McDave hit the nail on the head....  I have always shot three under.  When I tried split that is exactly what happened.  Not that you need to go to 3 under just do what he said and lower that elbow and draw straight back.  Even take a second to be sure you dont have that shaft torqued down due to pressure from your top finger or elbow set or both.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline JD Page

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »
Well from what a read the answer is simple..you are a Longbow shooter! Can't fight nature..

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:05 AM »
Try shooting cock feather in.  Your recurve probably has a wider shelf then your longbows.  You may be getting some feather contact by your four o’clock feather on the outside of your shelf, where it passes as the arrow flexes on release.  I always rotate my nocks so my four o’clock feather is three o’clock and it makes a big difference for me.

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
I always shot 62" longbow and had no problem shooting split but when I switched to a 58" recurve I couldn't get rid of the nock high no matter what I tried so I switched to 3 under and instantly had better arrow flight. Have recently tuned new arrows and they fly perfectly bareshaft so definitely helped me. Now I just have to get used to the slightly lower impact point at longer distances but that will come with practice
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
Gary, let me know if you fix it. My issue is what mcdave mentioned. I changed my hold hand to make sure more pressure was on the fingers below the arrow nock
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
Great advice from all I was having the same problem and I took some foot powder spray and sprayed the back half of my arrow and found that my nock was to lose so I added a nocking point under the arrow and that took care of my problem.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 12:37:17 PM »
" Try lowering your string elbow and pulling back such that there is not an excessive pressure on the nock while drawing the bow."
I had the same, or similar problem, for a long time. Took me a while to learn to really drop that string arm elbow. Big difference!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
It sounds like a very very very serious form problem to me why don't you dilm yourself broadside from the drawing arm side and post it
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 10:24:52 PM »
I will try to film tomorrow and see what we come up with...Gary

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:46 PM »

Start at 5:27 to get to information about nock high problems. Ken Beck provides some really good information.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:35 AM »
After you film yourself, you might try putting a light coat of powder on your rest and shelf, shot a few times.  I have used a small amount of Johnson's baby powder, this will show if anything is hitting during the shot. Secondly, as Ken Beck said, pressure of the top finger, might be a problem.  With split finger release, the top two fingers should be pulling the same amount on the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
Well, after taking everyone's advice and fiming myself and looking at some pictures. I see a very serious problem, my elbow was WAY to high and I'm torquing the string at full draw. Apparently laying off of shooting has really hurt my muscle memory. I think I just have to work on it and be conscious of my elbow and hand posit i.p.o on. The high elbow is what probably gave me the bad case of tennis elbow I'm thinking. Thanks everyone for all the help...Gary

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 12:38:41 AM »
How much do you cant your bow?
Might be a nock left arrow looking like nock high
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 04:12:55 AM »
I really dont cant my bow very much at all. I tuned the arrow with it straight up and down as I was told to by a few guys on here. I really think the elbow issue is giving me the problem. I'm pushing down on the arrow with alot of pressure.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »
If your shelf is wider than the arrow shaft, the nock will strike it and it will register nock high even when properly spines. - Dan Quillian.

"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©